Site Sponsors

Thread: P25+ RAW files: exposure rendering in Capture One Pro vs. some others

Post Thanks / Like

P25+ RAW files: exposure rendering in Capture One Pro vs. some others

(posted in another MF forum also)

I have been using Capture One Pro for developing the RAW files of my Phase One 25+ back and the results have been excellent.

I took some test shots today which were perfectly exposed on the back's LCD as well as in C1 Pro.
    Then I took the RAW files into Adobe Lightroom 4 and also into Photoshop CS 5 (which uses the same camera RAW engine) and to my surprise there was a huge difference, particularly in exposure. Where exposure in C1 was dead-on, it was very much underexposed in Lightroom / CS5 to the point that I needed to increase the exposure tab by some 1.6 stops to get to proper exposure.
    I understand that there will be some differences in rendering from one software package to another, but the BIG difference in basic exposure surprised me a lot.

Thoughts, comments?
    Frits

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: P25+ RAW files: exposure rendering in Capture One Pro vs. some others

I'd consult with your dealer on such first-time-use questions. It's much faster and requires less back and forth.

But the short answer to this particular question is it's a bug. ACR/LR misread the P25+ raw file and misplace the "0" exposure position. Don't be alarmed; good quality can still be had. Though of course best quality will always be had in Capture One.

Also make sure your P25+ firmware is up to date and if you have especially old firmware (anything older than 484) make sure to consult your dealer on how to do the firmware update - you should not jump from very old firmware to the current firmware.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post
    I'd consult with your dealer on such first-time-use questions. It's much faster and requires less back and forth.

But the short answer to this particular question is it's a bug. ACR/LR misread the P25+ raw file and misplace the "0" exposure position. Don't be alarmed; good quality can still be had. Though of course best quality will always be had in Capture One.

Also make sure your P25+ firmware is up to date and if you have especially old firmware (anything older than 484) make sure to consult your dealer on how to do the firmware update - you should not jump from very old firmware to the current firmware.
    Thanks Doug for your explanation.
    I have been using Capture One and intend to continue to do so - I like it a lot and obviously it is best for P1 backs. I was just curious when I opened the files in LR just for fun as I certainly will continue to work my files with Capture One Pro - so no big deal, but nice to know what is going on.
    BTW, I do have the latest firmware installed.
    Frits

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

ACR is very good, if the camera profiles are good. The phase One ACR profiles are crap.

I use capture one for conversion from raw, but then do most of the processing elsewhere.

For example the moire correction in Capture one is really not much more than a chroma blur.
    Set it high and you will see color bleeding all over the place.

On another note the p25+ is a very nice back.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Are there any profiles created, or that can be created for ACR?

I agree with you Fred, they are crap. Today I had to load everything into Capture One to export as Tiffs so I could adjust in Lightroom. I couldn't export as DNG as I'd lose all my settings.

Edit: However Lightroom RC 4.1 (just released) appears better? Can anyone confirm this just in case it's my eyes playing tricks on me?
    Last edited by Chris Giles; 29th March 2012 at 12:57.