The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Updated VarioFinder for Arca Swiss R Series

Steve Hendrix

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Very clever redesign. Can we have our original models upgraded, and at what cost?

Steve Hendrix

Very clever redesign. Can we have our original models upgraded, and at what cost?

I've asked about that. Discussions are ongoing. There may be several different approaches Arca takes toward this, but probably won't have a conclusion on that question for at least a couple more days in terms of costs and options.

Steve Hendrix

David Klepacki

Steve,

How securely do these clip on? If I am shooting from a high vantage point and need to point the camera facing downwards to the ground, can it fall off?

David

Steve Hendrix

Steve,

How securely do these clip on? If I am shooting from a high vantage point and need to point the camera facing downwards to the ground, can it fall off?

David

Hmmm. Well, they are on clips, but it slides into the clips. I suppose if you accidentally brushed it and it was pointed straight down, it could possibly slide out of the clips. It's possible the magnetic version could also be brushed off, but probably would need a more forceful push for departure.

I'll have a play at that tomorrow to get a feel for it.

Steve Hendrix

Steve Hendrix

Hmmm. Well, they are on clips, but it slides into the clips. I suppose if you accidentally brushed it and it was pointed straight down, it could possibly slide out of the clips. It's possible the magnetic version could also be brushed off, but probably would need a more forceful push for departure.

I'll have a play at that tomorrow to get a feel for it.

Steve Hendrix

Update - Actually, there is still a magnetic element in play with the new masks/finder, so there's no more risk of it falling off pointed down than there would be with the previous version.

Steve Hendrix

gazwas

The VarioFinder looks like a beautifully manufactured viewfinder and has a price fitting of its quality of construction. However, out of interest (considering this is an expensive bit of kit) who feels like if buying a tech camera again from scratch, is the VarioFinder an expensive luxury or essential accessory?

Don't you just point a tech camera and adjust from the preview on the back or am I underestimating the usefulness of an optical finder?