The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya 7 and IQ180 in Colour

timparkin

The Mamiya is quite stunning - We don't have a transparency result for it but I hope to do a test with Velvia 100 at some point which should resolve about 40% more than the Portra 400.

Ztacir

Hi Tim,
I appreciate the great work you have been providing us with.
Please let me understand why you like the result from Mamiya.
They seem awfull to me comparing to IQ180 crop.
I both own Mamiya 7ii with all lenses which I have not touched in 6 years and IQ180 which is my current system with Cambo and DF body.
Should I consider taking the old guy out of my bag?:eek:
Thanks ,
Z

timparkin

Hi Tim,
I appreciate the great work you have been providing us with.
Please let me understand why you like the result from Mamiya.
They seem awfull to me comparing to IQ180 crop.
I both own Mamiya 7ii with all lenses which I have not touched in 6 years and IQ180 which is my current system with Cambo and DF body.
Should I consider taking the old guy out of my bag?:eek:
Thanks ,
Z
OK - forget about 200% views.. here's a 50% view that sort of represents what these would look like side by side in print..

I make no presentation on why I 'like' the Mamiya - it's a difficult camera but it's also one that is within the price bracket of most photographers. I merely suggest that it is possible to very good results out of a medium format film system. This scan is 22,000 x 18,000 pixels - I've downsized by 25% here to show what a 24"x30" print would look like.

I'm not dissing the IQ180 system - I've shot with one myself and they are by far the best digital camera system available and if I could buy one with a couple of years of saving up my camera budget I might do. That's a long way off for me yet and so I shoot 8x10, 4x5, 6x7 (Mamiya 7, C220 & 645) and a few frames of 35mm occasionally.

Tim

p.s. Yes you should consider taking the Mamiya out of the bag and selling it to allow a few people to enjoy what great cameras they are. They should make you enough to buy a new lens for the IQ180 system at least.

Ztacir

:)) You are right but I loved all of the lenses so much that I always hope to find a good use for them sometime.
I have another issue.My target print size is 78"x90" at 200 dpi .
In that situation,I think ther is no way other than using a 8"x10" camera which is completely a phenomenon for me.What do you suggest if I wanna stay digital?

timparkin

:)) You are right but I loved all of the lenses so much that I always hope to find a good use for them sometime.
I have another issue.My target print size is 78"x90" at 200 dpi .
In that situation,I think ther is no way other than using a 8"x10" camera which is completely a phenomenon for me.What do you suggest if I wanna stay digital?
Well if you are looking for 80x90 inch prints then however you work you'll need stunning technique to get sharp pictures. 90" x 200dpi works out as 20,000 pixels which you can get out of 5x4 if you scan at 4000 dpi. Otherwise you are printing IQ180 files at 100dpi.

With good technique 4x5 can look a lot better enlarged although you'll need a good drum scan to do so.

However, you could stitch multiple IQ180 images together - you'll need to do a 2x2 probably to get the same resolution as a very good 4x5.

I've had some success adding noise to digital files when you print at less than 150 dpi.. it helps break areas that can end up looking too smooth - plastiky perhaps.

To be honest - unless you jump to 8x10, the difference between 4x5 and IQ180 at this enlargement is down to taste. We printed quite a few images out at that size and showed them to quite a few people and most chose 4x5 but some chose the IQ180. The people who chose the IQ180 said it 'appeared sharper but looked a bit smooth' and the people who liked the 4x5 said it 'looked more three dimensional but did appear very grainy'. I can let you download sample images if you wish.

Ztacir

Hi Tim,
I would really appreciate if you can let me download the images to see the difference.
Thank you and Best,
Z