The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Digital back selections/rejections for contre-jour

arionelli

I'm starting to make a bit of a nuisance of myself asking one and all about mf and digital backs whilst I "research" all the options within my needs and funds.

For my photography, which has been predominantly with transparency, I often like the camera facing into the sun/ light, resulting in lots of blacks when I prefer to keep to the highs and conversely, blowouts with the lows.

I think a digital back will possibly help me reduce these extremes in my images because of their greater dynamic range.

I'd like to know if there are any backs that are better than others for dealing with such strong contrast, highlights, etc., which would be better to avoid or whether there isn't enough differences between them to matter, if I am making myself clear. For instance, I get an impression that the early CFV backs seem to handle these situations with aplomb.

Thank you for your considered replies.

Martin

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The latest DB's have more DR, but we're talking maybe a stop and a half total over early gen 9u sensors, so not a huge deal. The only backs I would avoid are the ones with micro-lenses like the P30+ --- it can leave a wonky veil over the image in strong backlit situations. Clarity helps, but it's obviously not a cure. You mentioned budget. I would say any of the crop 18MP or full frame 22MP 9u backs from Hassy, Leaf or Phase are very good options. If you already own a hassy V cam and glass, then the CFV is a natural choice. IF your budget allows a wee more outlay, the Leaf 75 (33MP) and Phase P45(+) 39MP backs are excellent -- but they're so good, they're tough to find used.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Agree with Jack having owned the P30 plus I found myself using clarity pretty heavily like 30 in C1. Today with my IQ 160 it's a rare day to get to 20

EH21

I'm really not sure the latest 80mp backs really have more DR - at least when I tested my CF39MS back against the Leaf Aptus 12 the CFii39 had more usable range. This was determined by shooting a stouffer tranmissive step wedge on a light table. They do have more range than say the old phase p20 which I also tested. I posted these tests to LuLa about a year ago. I didn't have my CF 528 back then to figure into my tests, but my feeling is that this back gives me the most DR of any I've used. In multishot mode it does even better by 1.5 stops or so - but of course this is only for limited applications.

Shooting into the light with digital backs may also give a bit different results than with film because of how much light is reflected off of the sensor itself. Lenses that worked fine with film shooting into the light may suffer from flare.

arionelli

Thank you so far, as this is the information I am seeking to help narrow down my options and avoid sub-optimal choices for my needs...

Then, to a certain extent, bigger, or at least, newer is better for dr, correct? If I could spring for a used Aptus 7 or P45+, then would I be as well or better off to get the new CFV 50 for a blad, which is currently available where I am on order from the dealer for around the same price as a used P45+?

Martin