The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

options for 1st technical camera.....

trioderob

hi guys- first post here.

little background.

I have used a 4x5 field camera (toyo) , loaded film and have done my own platinum printing. Now I am using a Sigma SD15 to take seascape photos in San Diego and this is my main focus.

Was thinking of getting back into view cameras but at this point there are no "wet" labs around here. there is a place called north coast and they do some work with the large format, but even they scan so I was thinking about getting into MF digital.

one option for me would be to pick up a used Pentax 645D or try the Nikon 800E which is not MF.

I have read here that many like the ALAP 12 with phase one backs.

these look wonderful - but I want to keep it around 5k for everthing.
that being a camera body, one prime, and one digital MF back.

any ideas on what to buy in this 5k range ?

thanks ,

Rob

Shashin

Linhof Techno or C679. Arca Swiss has some nice cameras. Check Cambo.

$5K for a camera, lens, AND a MF back might be a squeeze. If you wanted a camera without movements, that would be easier for the price.

You could go with a D800 with a Nikon tilt/shift lens. That would be close to your budget. I don't think you could find a Pentax 645D body for $5K. But then it would not be the camera if you wanted movements.

Thierry

Dear Rod

It will effectively be difficult, even in the second-hand market, to get a technical camera, a prime lens and a digital back.

However, think twice before buying in a camera, do all the testing necessary and with your shooting conditions, then compare. Also compare the prices very carefully, including all accessories/features you wish to have (which some have with the basic camera as compared to some others where you need to buy separately).

The Alpa 12 series of cameras are effectively used by many. All accessories manufactured by Alpa for the 12 series fit all cameras. You will find the right camera for each use needed in the 12 series.

Alpa 12 Cameras

Don't hesitate to ask here or by contacting me directly, should you have any question or request.

Best regards
Thierry

I have read here that many like the ALAP 12 with phase one backs.

these look wonderful - but I want to keep it around 5k for everthing.
that being a camera body, one prime, and one digital MF back.

any ideas on what to buy in this 5k range ?

thanks ,

Rob

trioderob

yes the ALPA 12 looks like a very fine product.

I may be able to live without the tilt and shift as Iam interested in seascape images and dont do Architectural work. this would only be to get into the 5k
limit that I have. I did enjoy the control of the 4x5 field camera that I owned.

so what I need is a "poor mans " Alpa 12

richardman

Tech Camera and digital back make Leica M9 look cheap :-( Even a used 5 year old 20-30 MP back is at least $4500-$5500. Alpa base "camera" - which is just a frame, you will still need lens, viewfinder, grips etc. - is about $2000 for the low end model. The viewfinder itself is about $2000. etc.

Good luck.

djonesii

Workshop Member
Sadly, there are no real options in the price range you are looking at.

A real working low end is some where in the 8.5-9.5K range, and that will require a bit of luck ..... Think 5K for a back, 2K for a body 2K for a lens. If you buy a kit, the dealer might throw in the other bits and pieces. You will need a tripod, and some type of ball head, and at least a shutter release, and depending a wakeup cable.

The dealers keep the trade-ins pretty high, so the used market is pretty thin.

Doing it on the cheap is never cheap in MF .... That's why folks on this forum have abandoned all hope.

Dave

Geoff

Suggestion: break down your quest into two parts: digital and tech camera. You can do either one (sort of) for maybe $5k. Tech + film is still hard to get to at those prices. A used Cambo maybe? Or a 679 or Arca Swiss F line (used) are all fine too. Digital can be added later.

dick

I have used a 4x5 field camera (toyo) , loaded film and have done my own platinum printing.

Was thinking of getting back into view cameras .. so I was thinking about getting into MF digital.
Rob
Hasselblad Flexbody might be an option - if you could find anyone willing to sell you one.

¿Where is North Coast? ... last time I looked the USA did not have a north coast!

If you were on the right side of the pond you could team up with me, or someone else here willing to let you use some of their (old) kit.

¿Does £5k go any further than $5k?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Your just not going to get in the game at 5k let's be honest here. 10k you get some nice options . But just a tech cam with plate maybe the cheapest used say 2500 than a lens would be about the same. So your already there without a back. That's another 5 k.

Nikon D800 3k and a really good lens 5k total. But it's not MF

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Realistically, not going to happen. I'd suggest either:
- upping your budget to absolute minimum $8k (much more preferably $11-13k)
- renting
- leasing
- buying a dSLR and decent prime line*
- shooting 4x5 color film and shipping it out
- shooting 4x5 black and white film and processing at home

Mind you I'm biased (our company specializes in selling the backs, bodies, and lenses you are talking about). So I'd love to tell you we could see you something that I'd feel good about for $5k total. We can't.

*you won't even be able to buy a good Tilt-Shift lens and stay in that budget

MaxKißler

Well, this might not be a tech cam but you could call it MFD...

Mamiya 645 AFD - 750$
Mamiya 50mm f/4 Shift lens - 530$
Mamiya ZD Back - 2500$

Figuring out you want more, better MFD gear - priceless...

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Well, this might not be a tech cam but you could call it MFD...

Mamiya 645 AFD - 750$
Mamiya 50mm f/4 Shift lens - 530$
Mamiya ZD Back - 2500$

Figuring out you want more, better MFD gear - priceless...
Without saying anything negative I would simply suggest googling around about the ZD back and ZD camera before purchasing one.

trioderob

hey folks

thanks for the input.

I knew that my 5k limit might be a show stopper but wanted to at least ask.

I am now thinking about the Nikon D800E

not MF but about as close as I can get

coulombic

hey folks

thanks for the input.

I knew that my 5k limit might be a show stopper but wanted to at least ask.

I am now thinking about the Nikon D800E

not MF but about as close as I can get
Indeed, $5k isn't much in the world of MF.

That said, if you're interested in wide-angle technical camera shooting, it might be worth your time to look into the Hartblei H-Cam. Price for the camera, itself, is right around the same as anything else, but you won't need to purchase center filters or Copal shutters. The lenses, as well, being Canon-compatible, are also significantly cheaper. I've shot the HCam/24mm setup with my Aptus-II 12, and was rather impressed. I would say the Canon 24mm is hands-down a better lens than the Phase One 28mm D for wide-angle.

yaya

If the "prime" lens you're talking about is not too wide (say 72mm) then there are very cheap ways of starting with MF...

You can pick a field camera (such as Graflex) for next to nothing, with an LF lens

(a wide angle lens is difficult / impossible to focus on such a camera)

An older back, like a Valeo 17/ 22 will not be more than $2K but you'll have to find all the right bits that'll make it work portably (without a computer) but these will be cheap

Bear in mind that you're not going to have any warranty so if something goes bad you'll loose money though...
Good luck!

torger

I just invested in a tech camera el cheapo.... but that meant ~$12K for camera plus three lenses, all second hand, and now I'm looking around for a second hand back to complete the system which will be $4K for a 22 megapixel one.

I looked over prices and features for many systems and settled with a Linhof Techno. It is a quite expensive camera and not good for ultrawides (hard to focus) or focus stacking, but if you plan to have four-five lenses the low lens mount cost more than compensates.

Of the pancake cameras I looked at alpa, arca swiss and cambo. Of those I would probably choose asrca swiss rm3di, builtin tilt is a plus for me, plus that I like the look of the camera :).

Anyway the D800 is a way better buy, and will most likely give better image quality than I will get from my "cheap" $16K system. The advantage I will have is that I can upgrade to higher mp backs in the future and then make use of the fine lens performance, plus that it is a tech camera so I have movements including tilt/swing for all focal lengths. The main weakness of the D800 I think will be sharpness in the corners of the frame, and less good wide-angle tilt-shift lenses than for example canon. But time will tell when people start to publish tests.