The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

MF Sensor Cleaning

JasonQuibilan

Hello everyone!

Anybody got tried, tested and SAFE procedures and product recommendations for cleaning MF sensors? I'm getting dust bunnies in my images. Lenses are clean and dust free, and since I haven't ever cleaned my sensor since purchasing it earlier this year, I'm assuming the dirt is in the sensor. Don't know if it should matter, but I'm using a Mamiya DM22on an AFD III.

Thanks in advance!

Jason

kipling

You should have received a cleaning kit with your digital back, if bought new.
Otherwise, I'm sure your dealer will help you with cleaning it properly.

My favorite cleaning kit is the one I bought from the Carl Zeiss lens shop:
https://photo-shop.zeiss.com/de/Products/1216-071

Works very for lenses and the digital back.

The Phaseone cleaning kit is simply a cleaning solution, special cleaning paper and a spatula. All which can be bought separately at any good camera shop.

Steve Hendrix

You should have received a cleaning kit with your digital back, if bought new.
Otherwise, I'm sure your dealer will help you with cleaning it properly.

My favorite cleaning kit is the one I bought from the Carl Zeiss lens shop:
https://photo-shop.zeiss.com/de/Products/1216-071

Works very for lenses and the digital back.

The Phaseone cleaning kit is simply a cleaning solution, special cleaning paper and a spatula. All which can be bought separately at any good camera shop.

Some parts of the world (like the USA), the only cleaning supplies that come with the Leaf digital backs are cleaning wipes (no solution). When we sell a Leaf digital back, we highly recommend the Phase One cleaning kit, which includes (2) cleaning solutions, a paddle (your call whether you wish to use it, I do not), and cleaning wipes which are inferior to the ones that ship with the Leaf.

Just use the Leaf wipes with the Phase One solution. And add a good brush, like a Visible Dust unit (pricey, but with light and rotator), since that is the majority of what will be landing on the IR Filter. In a pinch, even a little $16 Kinetronics Brush will work, and it is nice and compact.

Don't forget, you can also shoot an LCC at various apertures, which does an amazing job of batch removing dust (even if it moves) in Capture One.

While many cleaning kits offer all purpose, harmless solutions for cleaning IR Filters, unless you know for a fact it will not damage the IR Filter coating, don't use it (my better safe than sorry recommendation).

Steve Hendrix

alan_w_george

Ever since getting tiny fibers from those pecpads stuck between the glass and the metal retaining frame around the IR glass on my P65, I have only used a good bulb blower and a strong light source on my IQ180. After about 6 months, I have yet to have a bunny that I couldn't blast away with the blower. Now I give the IQ a good BJ every time she is naked:) Can't remember the last time I had a bunny. YMMV.

Steve Hendrix

Ever since getting tiny fibers from those pecpads stuck between the glass and the metal retaining frame around the IR glass on my P65, I have only used a good bulb blower and a strong light source on my IQ180. After about 6 months, I have yet to have a bunny that I couldn't blast away with the blower. Now I give the IQ a good BJ every time she is naked:) Can't remember the last time I had a bunny. YMMV.

Yes, that is one reason why the cleaning wipes that come with the Leaf backs are so good - there are no fibers.

Steve Hendrix

JasonQuibilan

Thanks for all the replies! My kit did not come with cleaning pads, unfortunately. I'll go work the suggestions here.

Many thanks!

Jason