The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Digital back on 6x7 and 4x5 ?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I hear you Doug, but I don't think the Sinar backs need the delay/wake-up box and thus are a bit "simpler" to use on the GX... More to the point, it is still a more portable and convenient system than a view camera.

PeterA

If you are looking for a medium format studio camera, the Fuji GX680 series is the coolest by far. Is it the most practical? Probably not. But it is a really amazing system. I don't think you will be able to fit any digital backs on it, other than the one that they made for it (which I am not sure ever actually made it into production). The RZ is a very practical studio camera -- I don't know about it being an undiscovered jewel though...the RZ/RB have been among the most popular medium format professional cameras for decades! There are lot of pros who shoot digital backs with them just because of that fact -- they are so damn used to them.
Apart from Marc Williams on this forum - no one has ever said anything about the system. Hence my comment. However - I wil refrain from such outlandish comments in future. I stand corrected.

FromJapan

Alright, that's not the Sinar Macroscan.

Thierry
Thierry, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the MacroScan worked only for backs upto the 43H/44H. Are the 54S/54M/54H also supported? The KaptureGroup adapter works only with 22/39MP backs.

Cheers,
Kumar

Digitalcameraman

Hi.

1. From my experience a 6x4.5 film scanned with Nikon 9000 is equal a 22 mega pixels back. Is there any reason to use a 22 mega pixels digital back on a Mamia RZ67 IID? Why a digital sensor will outperform a larger 6x7 film?

2. I have a Sinarback 54M with Contax 645 adapter attached to my Contax 645.
How to use a moveable Contax 645 Back (Widepan made in china) attached to Sinar P2 4x5 camera? I'm completely new to moveable backs, are they worth the money? Is this for still life subjects or whatever else?
Should I better buy a 4/16 back, like a Sinarback 54H?

Thank

The Fuji would be much more useful if you want to do people an products.
Kapture Group makes a great interface for the Fuji that allows it to work flawless. www.kapturegroup.com

I think the Fuji is nice because you can shoot people and drop focus just like the pros do. Focus on eyes and drop the lens to place the shoulders out of focus. Just like Walter does when he shoots Tiger Woods for magazine covers.

Then you can really work it like a view camera for close ups or even room shots. I have 30 customers using this in high volume studios with great sucess. Sure little things happen but over all it is a great system with most backs ( I like the P45+ on this one) Be sure to get the one shot cable release from Kapture Group. It will make your life easy.

I also have alot of experience with 4x5 capture using these stiching adapters. The 2-3 stich works great. Quad is really confussing to keep straight when you may be bracketing for HDR. Too many pictures to make one. And like others that have mentioned shooting portraits is tough with sliding back on 4x5. Not to mention the weight of one system over the other. I think you will really enjoy using the Fuji because it's like having a MF camera and a view camera in one with a good variety of sharp optics.

Chris Snipes
Image Productions,Inc
Phase One Expert

www.imageproduction.com
[email protected]

813-335-2473 Cell
727-823-8909 Studio