The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mirror Lock Up with Mamiya 645 AFDI and IQ160

felix5616

I have a Phase One IQ160 back that i occassionally run on a Mamiya 645AFDI.
i can not shoot with the mirror lock up feature. Is that because i am using an AFDI version of the body?
leo

carl-b

I am not an expert, however are you trying to use mirror lock up via the IQ160?
If so that probably won't work as the mirror up on the AFD is mechanical not electronically controlled like the later versions :)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Not sure why you'd be having problems with this combination. What exactly happens when you try?

Carl: there is no function on the IQ back to perform the MUP btw.

MaxKißler

Have you tried using the mirror up lever on the left side of the body? I have never owned an AFD I but I would try setting the camera to MUP, then manually hold the mirror up with our finger on the lever and then fire the shutter with the release button. Hope this works..

felix5616

When i use the cameras mirror lock up button the back fails to fire or the shutter fails to fire, either way with the mirror lock up button set at mirror lock up I can not make an exposure.

ondebanks

If you lock up the mirror, the metering and AF systems receive no further light, so they can't function. You'll get a blinking "-no- AE" error message on the top LCD of the AFD, if you try to release the shutter while using one of the P/Av/Tv modes.

So if the camera is setting the exposure and/or focus for you, you must lock them in (press the AE lock button) before turning the M-Up lever. I bet that will solve your problem?

If you're using one of the M/X modes, setting the exposure manually, there should be no problem - it should fire with the M-Up set. Mine does.

Among the things I like about the original AFD is that once set, the AE lock and M-Up last as long as you please, and the M-Up lever, being mechanical, does not drain battery power in long exposures. This is sadly not the case with the later bodies (which also dumped the T setting, a no-battery-drain long exposure mode for film backs).

Ray