The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Bargain MFDB deals at dealers!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Fred I'll bet you 1k right now that there is no way in hell you'll get 17,156 for a 39 mpx sensor used. There selling for 12k from a dealer so in effect they are throwing you a extra 5k discount towards a upgrade. There is no better deal when you upgrade to a more expensive back than going through there upgrade path. You'll never get a better deal on your back than what the dealer will give you on trade value for a upgrade. Selling and getting out all together than obviously private sale is better.

Walking in with cash on the barrel head you won't pay list true but you only got maybe 12k for your 39mpx in a private sale. Do the math it's the same and much more hassle. Go try selling your back. Good luck with that one. Your competing with dealers that are offering warranties, service and support. On a purchase that maybe worth 20-40 thousands dollars most folks are looking for warranties , service and support. Its why the dealer network is there in the first place. You want to buy on e-bay at maybe a discount than you basically are on your own. People will weigh those options and it will be there choice. But I will say this seeing numbers out there as list than consider it list not what you write a check for. Its a MSRP stamp

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Yes it is a serious question.

You may get a 39% discount of the list price, but I'm sure a new IQ180 back with no trade in or lease will sell for a lower that list price. Important issue in a discussion about trade ins.

It's like cars. Best to sell privately and then get a better deal on your new car.
If you're trading a P45+ against a new back then you may get an even better deal since these are in more demand than a more run of the mill back (good as they might be!). Although, it is ALWAYS worth negotiating when trading in for a new back too. There's the discount - list but there are potentials for some other incentives if you ask.

Analog6

I have purchased a 645Df & 2 lenses and am tossing up0 between 2 available MF Leaf backs I have seen. One is a Leaf 5 (22MB) $4990 and the other a leaf 6 (28Mb) for $6400. Is the extra 6Mb worth the extra money? I'd welcome opinions, especially from users of either or both. I have to add 10% for GST when it comes into Oz so it all adds up.

And my H series gear of H2, 150mm, 210mm, 55-110mm all for sale, thread in the For Sale section.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I have purchased a 645Df & 2 lenses and am tossing up0 between 2 available MF Leaf backs I have seen. One is a Leaf 5 (22MB) $4990 and the other a leaf 6 (28Mb) for $6400. Is the extra 6Mb worth the extra money? I'd welcome opinions, especially from users of either or both. I have to add 10% for GST when it comes into Oz so it all adds up.
Well, they are both excellent backs. Things to consider are the resolution (28mp vs 22mp) althought that isn't much, but also the sensor size/pitch which is different. The Leaf 5 has a physically larger sensor so the crop factor is slightly less but that is balanced by the larger pixel size and greater susceptibility to moire. I have an older Aptus 65 (Leaf 6 but slower/older) and it is an excellent back. However, the Leaf 5 is also an awesome back in other ways and great value (I had the Phase One P25+ which has the same sensor). Is it worth 50% more? Tough call I guess. 6mp really is a pretty minor change but the moire susceptibility is probably a bigger deal IMHO.

Personally if I were building a walkaround system I'd be tempted by the value of the Leaf 5 as it also gets you somewhat greater DOF than the Leaf 6 when shooting with MF lenses. I know that was certainly true when comparing my P25+ to my Aptus 65/P40+ and especially IQ160. This may be a big deal for some. It's certainly closer to a 35mm experience regarding lens performance.