Site Sponsors

Thread: Information from Alpa

Post Thanks / Like

Information from Alpa

To all,

I would like to inform herewith that I will stop posting or answering questions here on this forum. It is Alpa’s decision to concentrate its efforts less on internet forums and to rather have a direct contact and to answer personally to photographers. It is also meant to not interact with opinions from the industry and from manufacturers and to let the forum be what it should, an exchange and discussion place for photographers.

I kindly invite those having specific questions or requests to contact me either by email at [email protected] or then Alpa directly at [email protected]
    You will always be welcome and get an answer rapidly.

Best regards
    Thierry
    Thierry Hagenauer
    [email protected]

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Information from Alpa

It's a shame to lose you on the forum Thierry!
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Post Thanks / Like

Thierry
    You'll be missed for sure not only as a great source of information but also Inspiration
    on as well as offline
    Grischa

Post Thanks / Like

I will miss you around here Thierry! I have saved your e-mail address.

Kind regards,
    Darr
    "Creativity takes courage." ~ Henri Matisse
    Darlene Almeda, photoscapes.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    I will miss you around here Thierry! I have saved your e-mail address.

Kind regards,
    Darr
    +1 - Thanks for all your work here, always informative and sober. Your email has been saved.

Cheers, -Peter

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thierry i have to say that is a bad decision by Alpa as you know full well that having the reps on the forums answers a lot of questions for end users but keeps us aware of what is out in the market as far as tools needed to complete our shooting tasks. Sorry as a co-owner of the forum its not the best decisions on Alpa's part and if the good folks at Alpa would like to discuss this with me I am totally open to talking to them directly as this will also not help in the sales end of the business in my opinion. I say this with the greatest respect for you and Alpa but I think a bad call. Good luck and you will be missed here. Guy
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 11 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree with Guy. This is the world's main and best place for your employer to interact directly and sensibly with clients. information is shared, refined, worked up into both a knowledge base and a map for future developments in a collaborative manner. I personally think that those gear manufacturers and vendors who participate here get a lot of visibility with a market demographic you couldn't buy if you tried to.

My 2 cents...
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    I totally agree with Guy. This is the world's main and best place for your employer to interact directly and sensibly with clients. information is shared, refined, worked up into both a knowledge base and a map for future developments in a collaborative manner. I personally think that those gear manufacturers and vendors who participate here get a lot of visibility with a market demographic you couldn't buy if you tried to.

My 2 cents...
    Well said. This goes for all the OEM's, Dealers and Sales reps that reside on this site.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Well said. This goes for all the OEM's, Dealers and Sales reps that reside on this site.

Yup, they're not just here for fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thierry,

Its a shame that you are not going to be able to participate directly in the forums. You have been a great source of information even beyond Sinar and Alpa. Hope you will still be viewing them.

It is also unfortunate because one person questions is usually many others as well......

Best wishes......

Lance
    LANCE SCHAD - Digital Transitions - Phase One,Mamiya | Leaf,Arca-Swiss,Cambo, Profoto
    direct/cell:610-496-5586 office:877-367-8537x224
    http://www.digitaltransitions.com email:[email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

+10, Guy. Not to mention Thierry's presence here for me personally has kept the Alpa name front and centre, for me. No, I haven't bought yet, but no one knows what the future holds and how it will unfold.

Thierry, please feel free to pass my remarks on.
    Kit Laughlin, www.StretchTherapy.net/, www.KitLaughlin.com/bodypress/
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

+10

Shame they are cutting Thierry from the forums. Though they make good cameras, they appear to have some odd policies...

I am also among those who have not purchased yet but I do plan to buy Alpa later this year (or a competing product???). I view Thierry as a cornerstone because he is honest, have integrity and give excellent advise and information.

To be referred to Alpa themselves is not good since last times I emailed them they routed to their China agent in Beijing who know zip zil and nada technical. That is NOT the way to sell Alpa. One of reasons I have not yet purchased is actually that their China Mainland agent who also distributes Alpa for Hong Kong overprice... They should take care of support and sales from Switzerland instead, or a local agent such as my Leaf agent who gives 500% support also on weekends and holidays. Someone in Beijing does not know or understand Hong Kong market or what is needed outside China (just visit Hong Kong and look at what shops they sell Alpa, then visit the Leaf agent , point simple to confirm). I am in Shanghai at moment and know both Mainland and Hong Kong.

Thierry is indeed a good chap and very much needed. One can wish for that Alpa themselves read this thread... Their sales support for Hong Kong and Asia need to be bettered to no less than the same quality as their cameras! As a customer and photographer I simply want the best, but that is also the sales and support, and at good price!!! Simple.

Best regards,
    Anders
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Sad news. I think this decision will come to haunt them in the future.
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Everything is measured today in conversions/sales and possibly in Alpa's eyes, Thierry doesn't directly generate a revenue stream like a sales rep or main dealer.

IMO, what is not measured is the behind the scenes sales decisions people make from reading these forums and the wealth of information they provide. Many people, myself included spent many hours researching and participating on getdpi before I even aproached my dealer for a sale.

You're just WRONG Alpa!
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thierry did provide direct contact info, so all is not lost, but most of us lose our more general information stream

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wasn't there an imminent announcement of a tilt adapter for all focal lengths? I suppose we will still see Alpa product announcements from other forum members watching their website, but the direct presence will be missed.

--Matt

Post Thanks / Like

I personally would like to never deal with a dealer--Paul from Optechs was the exception. I would prefer purchasing directly from the manufacturer and have them provide someone like Thierrry as their middle person for information. I hope Alpa (and other manufacturers) consider revising their selling models in this very small marketplace. With internet businesses, saving money by eliminating middle people can make economic sense for smaller companies like Alpa to stay in business. My 2 cents.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to see you go, Thierry. I have learned from many of your posts.

Guy, I agree that this will affect Alpa's visibility but my impression is that they are a very "personal" company. In other words, there is a small number of folks that are Alpa. They are ego-involved with the products and they are used to supporting clients at a technical level. Very Swiss.

Typcial corporate motivations may not apply.

I think Thierry's role here was to to stroke Alpa's amateur users and increase Alpa's visibility beyond their core client base. It was an experiment. Perhaps Alpa are unhappy with the interactions here ("great shot" type of comments), which are not typical of communications with the parent company.

Pure speculation arising from my dealings with them in the past.

Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I personally would like to never deal with a dealer--Paul from Optechs was the exception. I would prefer purchasing directly from the manufacturer and have them provide someone like Thierrry as their middle person for information. I hope Alpa (and other manufacturers) consider revising their selling models in this very small marketplace. With internet businesses, saving money by eliminating middle people can make economic sense for smaller companies like Alpa to stay in business. My 2 cents.

The savings from eliminating "middle people" can vary, depending on the amount of education and technical support required and the attributed margins towards the dealer channel. In the case of medium format and technical cameras, the education and support is on quite a different level than say, a Canon 5D-MKIII. Typically, a company would need to reinforce their internal support infrastructure ($$$) if they went direct and away from their dealer-based model. I believe the savings would be minimal, if any. In the case of Alpa, the margins are extremely thin, so thin to the point that removing their dealer channel and going completely direct would probably result in an increase in their costs if the level of sales results were maintained.

This also does not address the sales and evangelism that a dealer channel can contribute. Canon largely uses the dealer channel for distribution and on the shelf inventory. Get it into the customer's hands. They don't need dealers to evangelize their product that much - it is a mainstream product with plenty of evangelism, similar to Adobe. Eliminating dealers on products as complex and niche as technical cameras removes a lot of necessary sales horsepower also, which has to be replaced at a cost, unless the manufacturer is on a track to shrink their business.

I will also say that I feel manufacturer representation on a forum like this is a very big plus. However, sometimes those efforts need to be applied in a more direct manner, and this can leave less time for public online activity. And some cultures prefer just straight information as opposed to mixing with end user opinion, which can be tricky and uncomfortable for some manufacturers.

Steve Hendrix
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Digital Cam: • Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Sinar • Authorized Reseller
    TechCam: • Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar • Authorized Reseller

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It is a puzzling turn of events on Alpa's side to be sure. Regardless of the apparent illogical reasoning, we will miss the knowledge and expertise you shared here Thierry!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bottom line and this goes with the whole forums philosophy if you don't help educate people than they can't learn. That's why Jack and I created this place was a place to learn and grow and in effect people will buy what they learn about its only natural. Look at all the MF shooters that are here hobbyists, Pros it's really meaning less we all buy product. If we dont know about these things than we simply will not buy them. Sorry it goes against everything I work for here as well as Jack and our mods is to help educate the industry at large. We all have learned so much from each other on all these great tech cams and how each one works to help us make informed decisions. As a business owner myself if folks talked about my products or my services than its a blessing. I simply don't get it , sorry.

Post Thanks / Like

There is the Hasselblad Store; maybe there will be the Alpa Store.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There is the Hasselblad Store; maybe there will be the Alpa Store.
    Of course, and that is all fine. But why would that leave you not wanting to have a qualified individual still talk-up your products in an online forum full of potential buyers? (At almost any point in time during a normal day we have 400+ viewers online and usually around 90 of those are in the MF forum alone.) It seems very strange to me, but then I'm just a simple businessman running a four-person company.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

photohagen

you are absolutely correct! i too would prefer to purchase directly from the manufacturer. paul from optechs was definitely the exception! i bought a few alpa products (max, tc, focus rings, etc.) from him. imho, the alpa - snake oil - dealers/salesmen are rubbish especially from the point of view of giving technical advise. putting thierry on the forums was definitely a step in the right direction - now it's two steps back for alpa. arca swiss might not have a web presence, but at least they have a really good representative in rod klukas - someone who truly knows the technical ins and outs of their products. in this sense, alpa could take a chapter out of the arca swiss book. just my 3 cents.

rh

Post Thanks / Like

I am sure we will learn the answer eventually. I was thinking of switching to Arca, but I personally feel I get better customer service from Alpa. If I need something, I generally get it within 7 days; if it is not available, they tell me that within 24 hours. I think one of Alpa's strong points is something their competitor (Arca in this example) does not seem to care much about, so I think there mindset is different. I like my Arca cameras a lot, but I prefer Alpa. I would still support Alpa regardless if they have a place on the forums or not because I know I can get honest information from them when I need to. I dislike the sales runarounds I have gotten with Arca in the past. Why we put out so much money with no definitive delivery date, website, or phone number to call I shake my head at anymore. I do not like all the shark invested waters of the medium format dealers on the forums at times. I know you guys need your advertiisng sales, but sometimes it is so obvious what is going on. I would not mind paying a membership for lack of solicitation. I learn best by viewing work, seeing what equipment was used and then connecting with the photographer if need be.

I am a happy Alpa customer and will respect their reasoning behind this decision. I can always contact Thierry personally or visit their website.

photohagen

i joined the alpa camp many years ago. so i too am an alpa customer. i'm just sayin that arca in all their grand stupidity by not having a web presence and giving miserable customer service, STILL had the good sense to have a reputable technical person - someone who really knows their product line - available. someone who actually uses their systems and therefore knows what he's talking about. paul from optechs was the only dealer who knew and personally used alpa products - it wasn't just talk - he walked the walk.

rh

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"paul from optechs was the only dealer who knew and personally used alpa products - it wasn't just talk - he walked the walk."

True. I anticipate the five stages of grief when Optechs closes.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What a shame. I'm just starting to consider tech cameras and it's discouraging to consider a camera that will not be represented on this forum by the manufacturers own expert.

Bill
    Bill CB

www.billcaulfeild-browne.ca

Post Thanks / Like

I won't speculate on the motivations behind this decision, but I can pretty safely say that there would be about a 0% chance of Alpa ever having reached me as a potential customer were it not for this forum and the information posted to it. I'm not saying I'm even a buyer, but just by visiting this forum from time to time, looking for info on MFDBs, I've learned a little bit here and there about the world of tech cameras. That world is still very foreign to me (as I'm really more of a serious enthusiast rather than a pro), but since photography in general is my main hobby outside of my day job, I naturally want to learn as much as I possibly can about it. Over time, visiting forums, reading books, talking with other photographers, I've amassed quite a bit of knowledge, as I'm sure many others here have as well.

It is a shame that Alpa are, IMO, following in the footsteps of other once great companies that made a bad decision or two, and have been resigned to the dust bin of commercial history. Maybe it is a cultural difference, one which is unfortunate, because I don't think anything good comes from silencing information.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

schade Thierry ! Grüße aus Lindenberg

Stefan
    because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "
    facebook:hcam.de - www.hcam.de - www.hartblei.de

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"It is a shame that Alpa are, IMO, following in the footsteps of other once great companies that made a bad decision or two, and have been resigned to the dust bin of commercial history."

Good thing that we can avoid hyperbole.

Post Thanks / Like

Alpa's loss.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear you leaving Thierry. I just saw this posting today.
    I will add, that is very disappointing that any company who turns away from the public and not giving a face to the public, customers, and potential customers is poorly thought out and a bad idea in general. This is in especial regards that someone like Thierry acted very positively for Alpa.

I for one have considered my own personal needs as a photographer hobbyist and would have considered Alpa as part of my system if I was making the jump into MF. Knowing there is someone, real and tangible to communicate and thoroughly nice and friendly to communicate with heightens the whole experience in a Market niche. Also from what I have seen in this forum, knowing how well qualified Thierry is, is a substantial loss to the community as a whole. An unfortunate event indeed.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

in thinking this over, maybe what really happened is the manufacturer wanted to butt out of the public arena, and leave customer relations to the dealers?

For example, If I have a Cambo issue, i go to Capture Integration, not Cambo

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Alpa dealers.. Alpa dealers.. The only one I ever hear about is closing. Any others (good ones) out there? If the handle on the STC could mount on the top/bottom so that the default shift were vertical, it would be my first pick... Need a back first <grumble grumble>

--Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wow you guys are being tough on ALPA their priorities are different than ours skiing hiking drinking fine wine and making 1 to 2 cameras a month that's the life it's a simple life but it doesn't require global recognition. I will say that I've contacted Thiery and he immediately replied to me with his answers, I too am thinking of buying an alpa system and this is not good news for 2012 I think this communication belongs back in the 1940s.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

fotocare in NYC is good (Jeff hirsch)

contrast the Alpa withdrawal with Leica who is now opening Leica stores...?

and again; I see some welcome Hasselblad and Aptus factory contribution on the forum, but never Arca, Cambo, Leica, Sony, Nikon, Phase, Sinar, Rollei, etc, except through dealer input

photohagen

Quote Originally Posted by MGrayson View Post
    Alpa dealers.. Alpa dealers.. The only one I ever hear about is closing. Any others (good ones) out there? If the handle on the STC could mount on the top/bottom so that the default shift were vertical, it would be my first pick... Need a back first <grumble grumble>

--Matt
    are there any good alpa dealers? No!
    fotocare? definitely no!

rh

Post Thanks / Like

I use Dodd Camera. They are relatively new with Alpa, but very helpful and always get me what I need. They also have a large rental inventory, including IQ180 backs, if that is important to you. Not sure where you are; they are in Cleveland and Chicago.

www.doddpro.com
    Dennis Semick is the Alpa contact.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by photohagen View Post
    are there any good alpa dealers? No!
    fotocare? definitely no!

rh
    In a message sent from Paul (Optechs), he states his former/current employee, Ted Pedersen, who I know as the author of the tech article: A Customized Hyperfocal method for the Alpa and High Resolution digital backs, as being his successor for Alpa:

New Bear Seattle
    Ted Pedersen
    3708 Airport Way South
    Seattle, WA 98134
    USA

Phone: +1 877 567 2327
    Phone: +1 425 780 5833
    E-Mail: [email protected]

I got this info from the Alpa web site.

I am still hoping for an "Alpa Store" to happen.
    Last edited by darr; 21st April 2012 at 07:14. Reason: Thank you Mr. Gilbert!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'd certainly go to Bear first. I've spoken with Ted in the past, and he's been both helpful and knowledgeable.

I think people are being a bit too worried about ALPA's decision. While I think they're making a mistake, I don't think it's that big a deal. I've always preferred talking to someone like Paul Slotboom on the phone to reading an announcement on the internet.

I bought my first ALPA gear from Badger Graphics when they were still a dealer, and have dealt with Optechs more recently. I think the combination of a good dealer, and the feedback here from users will be quite sufficient.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Last summer after reading many posts on this forum, I decided that I wanted to but an Alpa to use with my Hasselblad back. I called Fotocare in NY and was amazed by how difficult it was to get anyone on the phone who was knowledgeable concerning the Alpa. I finally emailed Thierry, and of course I immediately received the information that I could not get from Fotocare. I emailed Thierry several times after that asking for some additional details, but when it came time to buy, I couldn't rationalize buying from a dealer who couldn't help me if I had a need for personal attention. I discussed my frustration with Thierry and apologized for not buying an Alpa after receiving all the help he furnished.
    Next I called CI asking about the Arca Swiss and was so impressed with the response and the offers to help, that I ended up buy an rm3di and three lenses.
    Rod Klukus has also been extremely helpful and responsive.
    Alpa probably makes a great camera; people like me need an organization that can help educate. Without Thierry on this forum, I think they are lost
    Stanley

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Stanley,

Doesn't your experience show that Thierry's absence is not the deciding factor? In spite of his help, you didn't buy an ALPA. Maybe if CI sold ALPA, or if you'd spoken to Paul Slotboom, you would've made a different choice.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Hello All,

I'd like to introduce myself. I’m Denny Semick from Dodd Camera in Cleveland Ohio. I too am surprised with Alpas decision to pull Theirry from the forums. I’ve been a lurker here for close to a year now, and have always felt the discussions were some of the most professional, informational and respectful that can be found in any public forum. I hope Alpa reconsiders their position on this.

Dodd Camera may be a relatively new dealer for Alpa and I may be the new guy in our sales and support department, but I know my way around a camera. ..yes, even a view camera. For 20 years, up until last year, I made my living working in a commercial studio in Cleveland. I started in the business shooting film and polaroids and was fortunate enough to get into a studio with the foresight to see the digital revolution coming. The transition was pretty darn expensive, but relatively painless from where I was sitting.

I’ll be honest, up until getting the Alpa last year I haven’t worked with a tech camera in many years. Once the digital backs hit 22mp, we moved our view cameras to a box in the loft and shot exclusively with the Hasselblad. Our studio moved to Hasselblad and Leaf in the mid 90’s and then to DSLR’s for a lot of our work by late 2006. This progression was driven by our customer base and by client expectations.

I’m in the position now where I can explore photography for my own personal expression rather than making some else’s vision a reality. My current rig is the Alpa STC and the IQ140.

I will do my best to answer questions that anyone may have not only regarding the Alpa product line, but all things photographic.

Regards,

Denny
    Denny Semick
    Dodd Camera - Professional Imaging Division
    [email protected] p.216-361-6805 http://www.doddpro.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Denny glad you are here. GetDPI is always welcome to people in the industry to further our photography. BTW thanks for your note too, that was very professional of you too ask first. Kind of folks I love having here. So a big welcome from the GetDPI team.

Post Thanks / Like

Yo Denny!
    Welcome aboard!

Dave