The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji GX680 for jewellery photography?

Willow

I am planning to buy a Fuji680III for jewellery photography.
I will put a Leaf Aptus 22 on it.

Are there anybody here with experience on this combination?

The much more expensive option is Phase One 120 TS on my Mamyia 645.

Any advices?

Willow

FredBGG

Not Available
Great camera for Jewelry.

I used it for years with film and later with a digital back.

Mainly shooting Jewelry/beauty, but also "product".

You will want to get a moving loup finder and I also recommend a brightscreen focusing screen.

lenslover

I purchased a GX380III mainly because of the battery situation. The I's and II's use an external battery, usually a nicad, (hate them) and one must have the proper charger. Are there currently made batteries, like the Phase One back uses that will work on that camera?
And, this just in, the new Leaf back will work on I's and II's, but the III is not listed.

Willow

I have bought a Fuji GX680 on Ebay ( and a 100 mm 4.0 and a 180 mm 3.2 )
I also bought a Batteriholder for AAA batteries thats goes on the 680.
So the battery problem is solved .-)

I will receive it (+ adapter for my Aptus22 from KaptureGroup ) within a
couple of weeks.

Looking forward to use it.

lenslover

I just received my GX 680III yesterday. I got a 100mm and a 125mm f5.6. Even though I'm a seasoned photographer, I'm in awe of this camera. My Kapture Group adapter should come today. My hands were shaking as I opened the box.

lenslover

The Kapture Group adapter setup came and was surprisingly easy to hook up. You just take all the batteries out of EVERYthing and then put it back together in a scripted order and, voila, the beautiful setup takes pictures!
Imagine; tilts, swings, shifts, rise, fall, LEAF SHUTTER lenses for a fraction of the cost of the Mamiya/P1 solutions.

The Fuji GX680 is an elegant system. I think a lot of people come to MFormat from 35mm based DSLR's and are expecting that kind of convenience. I'm coming to it from large-format 4x5 sheet film, and cannot believe how wonderful a setup it is. A Single-lens-reflex camera with view-camera movements, WOW.
Kudos to Keith at Kapture Integration!

Bill

FredBGG

Not Available
While the Fuji GX680 is a great option for shooting with a digital back the camera is fantastic with film. The larger image capture area produces a look that is different to a 645 sensor or negative.

FredBGG

Not Available
I just received my GX 680III yesterday. I got a 100mm and a 125mm f5.6. Even though I'm a seasoned photographer, I'm in awe of this camera.
You should have seen my face when Fuji brought the camera over to my studio in Milan when it first came out. But that was nothing compared to what my face looked like when I made my fist print form one of those wonderful 6x8 negs.

And today Portra just looks amazing with this camera.

lenslover

Truly wonderful work. I'm sorely tempted to pick up a film back for my Fuji, alas, none of the deals included one. My problem is, after years of having my hands in processing chemistry, when I tried recently to process some film, my body didn't tolerate it very well.
Thank goodness my livelihood no longer depends on silver-based photography, though when I see results like yours, I'm tempted.

Last edited:

FredBGG

Not Available
If you get a back be sure to get the IIIn version. It works on all the camera models.

If you only need to use it on a gx680III you can get the III model.

Don't get the first model because the memory battery is not user replaceable.

For processing you should give cafenol a go.

Home brewed developer made with instant coffee and vitamin c.

Tastes awful but makes for a nice developer.

FredBGG

Not Available
I have a mint Kapture Group Fuji GX680 to Mamiya mount Phase One adapter kit for sale.

It works with all GX680 bodies. Includes adapter plate, control box and long cable release.

Price $650

lenslover

Wish I'd know about this. Still, I'm happy to have worked with Keith at Kapture Group and found out how dependable a dealer he is.
Keith is good people.

Bill O'Connor