The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

weird behaviour of my h3d-39 back on arca rm3di

hello everybody,

this is my first thread here on getdpi - i've been a "read only member" till now ;-)

i followed several threads about technical cameras and the discussion about schneider and rodenstock lenses with heavy interest, and recently decided to step into technical camera world a few weeks ago.

my equipment since then has been H3d-39 with 3 lenses (35/80/150)
now i'm owner of the Rm3di with 43XL SK trying to use the h3d back with it...
with a whole load of frustration :(

at first the color casts are much heavier as i expected even straight without movements.
but beside this my back shows strange behaviour on the arca.
heavy noise in particular,
very bad white balance and a lack of sharpness compared to the hc35 lens - i'm trying to find out where the causes are. :angry:

some examples of the noise problem:

here are 2 shots (first on rm3di with 43xl and second on h3d with hc35) no movements

these shots where taken some minutes ago, f8 1/60s ISO100 each.
adjustment of the back while used on the rm3di: flash sync <1/8s

does somebody know whats going on in this back while beeing used stand alone? seems to me that this is noise like i would expect from very long exposure...

any ideas?

cheers
tom

jlm

Workshop Member
i used that same back and lens combo (Cambo, though) for a year or two, never got decent white balance out of the camera. using Phocus, always set back to daylight and typically in processing used the picker to set a neutral or just set kelvin and magenta by eye. sometimes i would shoot a grey card, but mostly in the studio.
you could set up a custom white balance in the back with a bit if fiddling around. Phocus does have a color correction ability shooting a white frame as well.

you can get it to work.

RodK

hello everybody,

this is my first thread here on getdpi - i've been a "read only member" till now ;-)

i followed several threads about technical cameras and the discussion about schneider and rodenstock lenses with heavy interest, and recently decided to step into technical camera world a few weeks ago.

my equipment since then has been H3d-39 with 3 lenses (35/80/150)
now i'm owner of the Rm3di with 43XL SK trying to use the h3d back with it...
with a whole load of frustration :(

at first the color casts are much heavier as i expected even straight without movements.
but beside this my back shows strange behaviour on the arca.
heavy noise in particular,
very bad white balance and a lack of sharpness compared to the hc35 lens - i'm trying to find out where the causes are. :angry:

some examples of the noise problem:

here are 2 shots (first on rm3di with 43xl and second on h3d with hc35) no movements

these shots where taken some minutes ago, f8 1/60s ISO100 each.
adjustment of the back while used on the rm3di: flash sync <1/8s

does somebody know whats going on in this back while beeing used stand alone? seems to me that this is noise like i would expect from very long exposure...

any ideas?

cheers
tom
You might contact Jeff Payne: [email protected]
He is the product rep and knows a huge amount about the backs and software.
Rod Klukas

i just did'nt know how to attach the full pictures not only thumbnails.
i hope everybody clicked in the thumbs, as the noise problem isn't really visible in the thumbs.
i actually can't believe the amount if noise is in this picture :wtf: - my first pocket digital camera with 2 megapixels from 2000 had a better quality