The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tech camera: Which system?

Digitalcameraman

Check.

Sincerely,
Chris Snipes
Sales Manager Florida
Capture Integration

Capture Integration Brands

Phase One Partner of the Year

404-522-7662 Atlanta
305-350-9900 Miami
877-217-9870 National
813-335-2473 Cell

Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One: 10% off

Parmote,

First try and find a dealer that will help you make the decision. That help should include the ability to try the system out for a couple days.

That said, I'm partial to the Cambo WRS having had it now for several years. I've tested both the WDS and WRS and found that while there was little difference in either the WRS was just better. Better for me that is - again you need hands on experience before making your decision.

Guy brings up a very interesting point. You already have the most expensive part to the system (besides the back). Since you already have the lenses then the less expensive way is to pick up the WRS. The WRS allows you full access to the movements from the rear of the camera versus the front knob of the WDS. Plus the WRS was made specifically for digital use which makes it lighter and smaller.

Listen to Guy....

Don

Cambo now offers wooden handles for their WRS; I've got them and they make a world of difference.

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks Chris for the information about upcoming Cambo iPhone.
It would make Cambo more attractive.
Thanks Jack & Guy...I've just realized I am a senior member now. I am honored.
Pramote

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Hey you let the cat out of the bag on the iPhone for the Cambo. Lol

I'll do a report on it this week in Atlanta. I heard it is really nice . Hope there's a app to go with it.

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks Joe.
You sound like me except I've never tried ALPA but Cambo WDS.
Your suggestion is very reasonable and well accepted.
Pramote

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Let me state up front that I'm a dedicated Alpa shooter and love the system. However, if I were starting again today I'd also probably go Cambo AE with a set of their t/s glass.

My Alpa is flawless in what it does and the build quality and just about everything about it is excellent but the fatal flaws these days are (1) lack of wide angle tilts (coming I know ... actually, I do KNOW ;) ) and (2) it's very expensive compared to the Cambo for a system that'll produce the same results. I just think that Cambo have got the best price/performance combo at the moment.

The Arca is also a fine system but let's just say supply ... I don't think that even the Arca folks would argue with that one. Nice gear ... when you can get it. Alpa may be expensive but I know that if I order something it'll be here in a couple of weeks at most.

cly

My Alpa is flawless in what it does and the build quality and just about everything about it is excellent but the fatal flaws these days are (1) lack of wide angle tilts (coming I know ... actually, I do KNOW ;) ) and (2) it's very expensive compared to the Cambo for a system that'll produce the same results. I just think that Cambo have got the best price/performance combo at the moment.
Basically, I agree (having a Max). But there are two features in favour of the Alpa:

If you do a lot of horizontal stitching, the fact that you can shift very fast because you can unlock the Alpa body, comes in very handy (shoot left, shoot right, shoot LCC left, shoot LCC right). This is something I didn't appreciate when I used a Max the first time. Today I would miss it.

HPF: If you use the Cambo TS-lenses, you can't use the Alpa-HPF-rings unless you are brave and have access to the required machinery to adapt them to the Cambo TS-lens mount (see jlm's modification: http://forum.getdpi.com/gallery/files/7/4/cambo_x1.jpg)

Chris

Last edited:

dick

If you like your existing lenses, I agree that staying with Cambo makes a lot of sense, .
The key to creative landscape photography is a full set yaw-free movements... and, I believe, none of the current MFD view cameras offer this...

...and the Sinar P3 is too heavy and not ridged enough.

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks Graham, cly and Dick for your comments.
Graham...I greatly appreciate your honest & thoughtful opinion. Your long-exposure photography is amazing.
Pramote

dchew

Pramote,
It might help if I explain what led me to my choice. Everyone has priorities. I associate the different brands with distinct priority lists:

Alpa
Pros:
Simple, elegant design – Alpa pays attention to details. From the matt, ribbed finish inside the camera to the ball bearing mechanism, it is a camera designed to be used in a manner that doesn’t get in the way.

Light weight (some models) – This was big for me. The STC can be oriented for rise/fall or shift, can be managed without a grip or viewfinder. So for backpacking I think it is The Cat’s Pajamas.

Robust – There is just not much to go wrong on the camera. No little pieces sticking out, and not much to be bent or dented that would prevent it from working flawlessly.

Shimming & HPF rings – Good, accurate system when combined together. Measuring distance with a Disto and dialing in focus is efficient and very accurate. Just look at the number of people shooting Cambo’s that have purchased HPF rings! However, shimming does not account for any differences in lenses. You have to pick the lens you shim with. Then, if necessary, make any helical adjustments to the other lenses to match.

Cons:
No tilt for wide angles – Probably Alpa’s Achilles Heel. They are supposed to come up with a solution this year, but from reading their press release it sounds like it will be only for certain lenses.

Cost – I think this may be blown out of proportion. I do think dealer margins are smaller, so in some cases dealers are screaming about the cost more than owners. Some accessories are indeed crazy expensive. For example I can get the iPhone holder and buy an iPhone cheaper than the $1600 viewfinder.

I think of Alpa STC as a Porsche 911; designed for the task at hand.

Arca
Pros:
Beautifully built and designed – Everything is thought through, just look at the viewfinder with its DoF barrels, magnetic shutter cable…

Rm3 has tilt in the body – If you don’t mind a larger camera, the Rm3d is hard to beat because of this feature.

Focus mount – Arca’s focus mechanism is very fine and indirect. It’s design adjusts (calibrates) for each lens so there is no need to shim. It is not as simple and direct as the Alpa system, but it does account for any differences in lens tolerance (except for infinity).

Cons:
Long lead-times on parts – Not sure what the truth on this is, but it does seem to be exacerbated by inadequate communication.

No website – Eh, whatever. People can find the info they need if they do their homework.

More small parts – This might just be me, but I drop stuff. In rivers, at the most annoying times. I would go through those barrels, magnetic pieces, etc. faster than Phase One batteries on Live View. Again, I think the design is well conceived; it is just not something that fit my priorities.

Arca Rm3d is the Mercedes S-class

Cambo
Pros:
Value – You arguably get the most for your money with Cambo.

Tilt in a small package – I separate the Arca Rm2d, Alpa STC and the Cambo WRS into their own subgroup because they are considerably smaller than their brothers and sisters. These three were my short list because of size and weight. As of today, the WRS is the only one that has tilt, albeit in the lenses, not the body.

Back calibration – It can be done by adjusting the setscrews in the back. I have never done it; it is not as well documented as Alpa’s shim system, which is designed for the user to adjust. I believe Cambo recommends sending the camera and back to be adjusted by their technicians.

Cons:
Design - The WDS design is a bit crude in my opinion. I don’t want to get in trouble here, but it just does not feel that well thought out compared to the other two companies. The WRS is better, and the AE version better still. Some may categorize this as dressing, but not to me. It is the little things that become the stone in my shoe.

The Cambo WRS is the Chevy Corvette. Maybe a little rough around the edges, but it gets you there as fast as the others (or faster?). In contrast the WDS is, um, the Suburban? Ok maybe the Escalade!

Last edited:

gazwas

I disagree and find your post a little elitist and a little insulting to Cambo owners.

To get away from car analogies, because like cameras we all have different tastes. You're suggesting the Alpa and Arca are like apples and pears, similar but different and the Cambo is a conker!

dchew

Gareth,
Sorry I did not mean it to sound that way at all! I am a big Corvette fan!

Barring an specific requirements, I think the WRS is the best option.

Dave

gazwas

Sorry I did not mean it to sound that way at all! I am a big Corvette fan!
Thats the problem with car analogies, one man's Corvette is another man's conker! ;)

Although I'm an Arca user, I've never considered the Cambo to be an inferior product and would happily use one any day of the week. I personally think Guy's Anniversary addition is one of the best looking tech cameras available and the quality of the product looks first class.

P

photographist

Blend the Apples and Pears, add some rum and you have a conker! Just what you'd like to have after a long day of shooting! :chug::chug::chug:

P

photographist

Yes WRS and WRS AE are the same mounting plate. The WDS is a different plate (but does take the same lenses, as was pointed out).

Steve Hendrix

Hey Steve ...

A bit off topic, but I thought that the Cambo DS and RS have the same lens mounting adapters and the lenses are interchangeable between the two models. Did I miss something?

Thanks!

stngoldberg

Pramote,
It might help if I explain what led me to my choice. Everyone has priorities. I associate the different brands with distinct priority lists:

Alpa
Pros:
Simple, elegant design – Alpa pays attention to details. From the matt, ribbed finish inside the camera to the ball bearing mechanism, it is a camera designed to be used in a manner that doesn’t get in the way.

Light weight (some models) – This was big for me. The STC can be oriented for rise/fall or shift, can be managed without a grip or viewfinder. So for backpacking I think it is The Cat’s Pajamas.

Robust – There is just not much to go wrong on the camera. No little pieces sticking out, and not much to be bent or dented that would prevent it from working flawlessly.

Shimming & HPF rings – Good, accurate system when combined together. Measuring distance with a Disto and dialing in focus is efficient and very accurate. Just look at the number of people shooting Cambo’s that have purchased HPF rings! However, shimming does not account for any differences in lenses. You have to pick the lens you shim with. Then, if necessary, make any helical adjustments to the other lenses to match.

Cons:
No tilt for wide angles – Probably Alpa’s Achilles Heel. They are supposed to come up with a solution this year, but from reading their press release it sounds like it will be only for certain lenses.

Cost – I think this may be blown out of proportion. I do think dealer margins are smaller, so in some cases dealers are screaming about the cost more than owners. Some accessories are indeed crazy expensive. For example I can get the iPhone holder and buy an iPhone cheaper than the $1600 viewfinder.

I think of Alpa STC as a Porsche 911; designed for the task at hand.

Arca
Pros:
Beautifully built and designed – Everything is thought through, just look at the viewfinder with its DoF barrels, magnetic shutter cable…

Rm3 has tilt in the body – If you don’t mind a larger camera, the Rm3d is hard to beat because of this feature.

Focus mount – Arca’s focus mechanism is very fine and indirect. It’s design adjusts (calibrates) for each lens so there is no need to shim. It is not as simple and direct as the Alpa system, but it does account for any differences in lens tolerance (except for infinity).

Cons:
Long lead-times on parts – Not sure what the truth on this is, but it does seem to be exacerbated by inadequate communication.

No website – Eh, whatever. People can find the info they need if they do their homework.

More small parts – This might just be me, but I drop stuff. In rivers, at the most annoying times. I would go through those barrels, magnetic pieces, etc. faster than Phase One batteries on Live View. Again, I think the design is well conceived; it is just not something that fit my priorities.

Arca Rm3d is the Mercedes S-class

Cambo
Pros:
Value – You arguably get the most for your money with Cambo.

Tilt in a small package – I separate the Arca Rm2d, Alpa STC and the Cambo WRS into their own subgroup because they are considerably smaller than their brothers and sisters. These three were my short list because of size and weight. As of today, the WRS is the only one that has tilt, albeit in the lenses, not the body.

Back calibration – It can be done by adjusting the setscrews in the back. I have never done it; it is not as well documented as Alpa’s shim system, which is designed for the user to adjust. I believe Cambo recommends sending the camera and back to be adjusted by their technicians.

Cons:
Design - The WDS design is a bit crude in my opinion. I don’t want to get in trouble here, but it just does not feel that well thought out compared to the other two companies. The WRS is better, and the AE version better still. Some may categorize this as dressing, but not to me. It is the little things that become the stone in my shoe.

The Cambo WRS is the Chevy Corvette. Maybe a little rough around the edges, but it gets you there as fast as the others (or faster?). In contrast the WDS is, um, the Suburban? Ok maybe the Escalade!

Capture integration did a first class job in getting me three schneider lenses (43mm,72mm, 120mm) for my area rm3di. In addition they provided me with as much face time as necessary to help me master the use of the camera.If you have the patience to wait a few months for all of the parts to come in, you will be rewarded with a technical camera that seems to do everything. The best part is this dealer answered all of my phone calls and emails almost immediately. The results from this camera an my H4D50 back are astonishing

Sranley