The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tech camera: Which system?

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Dear Friends,

I have currently had Cambo WDS, Phase One IQ 180 and a couple of lenses. Although the WDS is a good camera, it was designed for large format.
I would like to buy a new tech camera but have a hard time making a decision which system to buy- Arca RM3Di, Alpa (and which one) or Cambo WRS. Almost all my works is landscape photography.
GetDPI is the only place on earth I can get REAL information. I don't mean to start a troll but really need help from friends at GetDPI. Friendly comments would be greatly appreciated. I believe there are lots of newer members like me want to hear your expert opinions.

Thank you very much.
Pramote

Last edited:

jlm

Workshop Member
getdpi forum is NOT the answer! go to a get dpi workshop and you will see all of the options and can play around as much as you need to

JonMo

I can only comment on the Cambo products.
I have the WDS and the WRS (non-aniversary edition.)

I like the extra movement in the WDS when needed and like the fact that the movements are lockable in place when carrying around.

I use the WRS when I want something smaller and have used it for landscapes and as my "point and shoot" camera for walking around.

The advantage for me being able to use the lenses on either camera.

Certainly can't complain about the robustness and build of them.

Jon

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Jon and jlm...Thanks very much for your comments.
I would love to go to the workshop but with work and kids, it is very hard. I am sure it will be some days.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well since you already have the lenses in your mounts than you obvious least costly option is the WRS or even nicer the AE model which I have myself. I really love it. Also I will be in Atlanta at CI doing a Cambo open house this Friday and staying on til Sunday. If you can make it I can show you all the options with your existing system and the AE/WRS model as well. Actually you could keep the DS since they are not worth that much for times you want to get past 20mm of shifting which really is a lot and depending on the lenses you have they may not get that far anyway. Love for you to sneak into Atlanta and let me personally help you. That's why I am there doing the open house. I believe this is your dealer as well .

I should add switching systems is costly on your lenses since either you have to sell them in your Cambo mount or switch them into a new mount which can be very expensive. Trust me you not missing anything by staying in Cambo. It still is the only system that has tilt and swing together outside of Sinar I believe.

Guy Mancuso

All the systems are very nice but switching midstream can be hazardous to your wallet and you may not gain anything in it except lose money.

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks Stephen for the links.
Thanks Guy for your advice. Unfortunately, I will be in New Orleans for the meeting this weekend.
I've heard about the Cambo AE. What is the main difference between WRS and AE?

Guy Mancuso

I think you can use your existing camera mount which saves you about 400 dollars and your ready to go with your existing lenses. Seems like a easy choice to me.

Steve Hendrix

I think you can use your existing camera mount which saves you about 400 dollars and your ready to go with your existing lenses. Seems like a easy choice to me.

Yes WRS and WRS AE are the same mounting plate. The WDS is a different plate (but does take the same lenses, as was pointed out).

Steve Hendrix

Don Libby

Parmote,

First try and find a dealer that will help you make the decision. That help should include the ability to try the system out for a couple days.

That said, I'm partial to the Cambo WRS having had it now for several years. I've tested both the WDS and WRS and found that while there was little difference in either the WRS was just better. Better for me that is - again you need hands on experience before making your decision.

Guy brings up a very interesting point. You already have the most expensive part to the system (besides the back). Since you already have the lenses then the less expensive way is to pick up the WRS. The WRS allows you full access to the movements from the rear of the camera versus the front knob of the WDS. Plus the WRS was made specifically for digital use which makes it lighter and smaller.

Listen to Guy....

Don

Cambo now offers wooden handles for their WRS; I've got them and they make a world of difference.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
If you like your existing lenses, I agree that staying with Cambo makes a lot of sense, especially finacially. However, if your lenses are older designs and not current, it's possible the IQ180 can over-tax them and you may be upgrading those too. In that event, it may be worth at least handling an Arca and Alpa to get a feel for them since you'll be laying out all new money anyway.

dchew

Pramote,
I use an Alpa STC. Given your situation I agree with the comments above recommending the Cambo. Your switching costs are lower and you can get tilt if you want it. I think the other differences between Alpa, Arca and Cambo are relatively minor compared to those two things.

Dave

Guy Mancuso

Exactly David they all have great qualities and features that some are unique but end of day it's really a body between the most important parts lens and sensor. The cost of switching mounts is just in some ways a waste unless you have to have a certain body/brand. In any of these systems you just better off staying within your system and upgrading the body and in Cambo the DS To WRS is a big difference a lot smaller compact body in the WRS and all the movements are in the back standard. If going in new than you have the 3 main ones to look at and make a call on but once your in it pains me to switch a lens mount out at 1200 to 1600 dollars per lens. Unless you have lenses that won't work with your sensor but I think Pramote just bought a Rodie 23 Cambo mount which is perfect on a 180 so sounds like your lens choices are fine for that so you have to sell them or remount them if you switch. Logically does not make a lot of sense unless you have to have a certain brand or feature. Believe me they are all excellent systems, it's down to features pretty much. Now if you want to completely switch for whatever reason than working with your dealer to switch is probably your best bet.

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Jack, Dave, Guy and rupho..Thanks very much for your thoughtful comments!
I have 2 lenses Rodie 23mm HR and SK47mm XL. I plan to sell SK 47mm XL and change to either Rodie 40 HR or SK43 XL.
My main problem of the WDS is that I shoot landscape and adjusting the movement in the front is not convenient especially when I stand on a cliff (which is not uncommon). Large size is another drawback although it is not as a big problem to me.
The body is important and personal. After 6 months of using the P1 DF with great result, I've still missed my old Hasselblad H4D & lenses.
I really appreciate your kind opinions.

Last edited: