The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Questions about First Foray into Medium Format

Chris Giles

As a 1Ds3 shooter who moved to medium format for portraits I noticed a much bigger improvement. I was using the 9 micron 22mp leaf back.

Images were also much sharper and I was shooting in natural light almost exclusively.

It depends on your market. If you have enough trade to justify the spend then it's a worthwhile investment. For me I moved to MF not just for portraits but for pure self indulgence. I like to shoot film as well. (One of the reasons for the Hassy choice) and I quite enjoy shooting a landscape, then sticking the film back on as well for the same shot.

I think under studio lighting the differences are less obvious, especially considering many togs smooth skin. In natural light though there's a bit of a difference. Although the 5D3 looks very similar to the P25 back.

At ISO25 it's another world.

Here's a studio shot at ISO50 on the 22 back. My 1Ds3 couldn't do this.

http://www.chrisgilesphotography.co.uk/forums/11.jpg

Straight out of the camera, no sharpening or NR, white balance corrected, exported as jpg and saved at level 10 in photoshop. (The back I had was front focusing so the point is on the lips).

Last edited:

Transposure

Chris,
Hmmm. My results were different. I have been very impressed with the 1DS3's ability to come very close to the Leaf 33MP Aptus II quality. I have reviewed test after test (6 different ones in total) to see the head to head differences and they are there, but not earth shattering.
Your comment about "under studio lighting it being less obvious" makes sense. This was reflected in my tests. And, that is primarily what I shoot. Even when on located, it is very rare that i don't have some form of studio light in the capture. Each of the four shots above have studio lighting in them, even though each of the four was shot on location.

With the advent of the Credo's, it has changed my viewpoint a bit. It looks like the interface really stepped the backs into the 21st century, as they should be. When I compare the sensor tech, it appears the IQ140 is the Credo 40 and the IQ160 is the Credo 60. They repackaged them of course (much to my liking). The IQ180 and Credo 80 seem to have slightly different sensor specs., almost as if the Aptus II 12 sensor was used.
I was starting to think, for my specific planned usage (portrait and still work), an RZ ProIID and an old Aptus 75 or 75S would have sufficed to get my feet wet. Now with the Credo 40, I am beginning to wonder if this whole idea should be rethought!!

Giorgio

Hi Ken,

A big part of the MFD experience is going to be enhanced by one using the services of a dealer (retailer) and two buying the newest MFD camera and back that you can get.

MFD has evolved so much even over the last two years that the newer gear is a lot more pleasant to use.

Ciao,
Giorgio