The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

some more H3DII vs phase645 questions

David K

Workshop Member
Isn't the HY6 a focal plane shutter body?

Woody
Woody,
You may have been thinking of the capability of the Sinar system to use a focal plane shutter body like the Contax 645 which is what I do. At the present time it seems to me to offer the best of both worlds if you've decided (or are constrained to) live with one sensor.

Something which would make my decision for the Hassy easier if there was a "classical" weist level finder available. (I know - no option at all for the Mamyia).
So if I had to design a new system I would suggest a MF-body, with focal plane shutter, exchangeable viewfinder, and leaf-shutter lenses. ;)
Hasselblad does offer the HVM waistlevel viewfinder for the H system at a very reasonable price.

The Hasselblad V & H systems have always been modular; interchangeable viewfinders, lenses, film & digital magazines. Regarding focal plane shutters and leaf shutter lenses, Hasselblads been there, done that with the 200 series system. A focal plane shutter with 1/2000 top shutter speed for use with our F & FE lenses and when the focal plane shutter was dis-engaged you could use the central shutter in all C, CF, CFi and CFE lenses.
The best of both worlds.

Paul Claesson
Hasselblad USA

PeterA

Hi Paul and welcome to the forum.

Whilst your 200 series cameras and F/FE lenses are great as are the CFi and CFE lenses - if you wish to use these lenses on a 200 series body - you need to use a CFV/CFV11 back and lovely as they are - you are restricted to a 1.5X crop.

If one chooses to use a different back with a V mount one is restricted to a 1/90th shutter speed - is this correct?

A few people I know are actually using Contax or Mamiya bodies in order to be able to use the F/FE/CFE lenses they so admire - without crop and without the shutter speed limitation.

I suspect that that is why people are asking for a focal plane body from Hasselblad - which can use their faster F/FE series lenses - somethign we cant do with the H series body dediaetd to Leaf or C/CFi/CFE type lenses via adaptor. I guess teh F/FE lenses are so good that many of us wuld liek the ability to use them on a hassebald body with a large chip.

pete

J

jingq

hi Paul, any plans for the creation of a H-mount body in the style of a 500 or 200 series camera?
With the ability to use the H lenses, and CF and F/FE lenses with an adapter such as the one offered for the H camera already

That would give the maximum possibility to photographers, who can get both a H body and a Hy6 style Hasselblad body and use the same back

EDIT:I realised that the larger mirror would be a problem...argh if only there was some way around this. Been shooting with a 201 recently and absolutely love it love it.

Last edited:
Hi Paul and welcome to the forum.

Whilst your 200 series cameras and F/FE lenses are great as are the CFi and CFE lenses - if you wish to use these lenses on a 200 series body - you need to use a CFV/CFV11 back and lovely as they are - you are restricted to a 1.5X crop.

If one chooses to use a different back with a V mount one is restricted to a 1/90th shutter speed - is this correct?

A few people I know are actually using Contax or Mamiya bodies in order to be able to use the F/FE/CFE lenses they so admire - without crop and without the shutter speed limitation.

I suspect that that is why people are asking for a focal plane body from Hasselblad - which can use their faster F/FE series lenses - somethign we cant do with the H series body dediaetd to Leaf or C/CFi/CFE type lenses via adaptor. I guess teh F/FE lenses are so good that many of us wuld liek the ability to use them on a hassebald body with a large chip.

pete
Hi Pete,

Option 1
With a modified 200 series camera you can use the F/FE lenses without a synch cable with CFV/CFVII, communication is handled via the Databus (4 gold contacts) on the rear of the 200 camera and CFV/CFVII back. Flash synch will be 1/90 second.

Option 2
With a 200 series camera you can use the F/FE lenses a with CFxx and use a Kapture Group single shot cable. Flash synch will be 1/90 second.

Option 3
Dis-engage the focal plane shutter on the 200 camera by setting shutter speed ring to C position and attach a C, CF, CFi, CFE lens. Attach a flash synch cable from lens to CFV/CFVII. Menu on CFV/CFVII must be set for "Flash synch"
Flash synch is now available to 1/500 second.
You can use any of our products (CFVII, CFII39, CFII39MS) with this configuration.

The H system was 7 years of planning, designing, implementation before becoming a reality in September 2002. Hasselblad made many decisions over the course of those years regarding what would be the most important features to include in an entirely product. Fast flash synch to 1/800 second was deemed very important and also allowed Hasselblad the maintain the tradition of utilizing a Central shutter within their lenses.

Paul Claesson
Hasselblad USA

FromJapan

Hi Pete,

Option 3
Dis-engage the focal plane shutter on the 200 camera by setting shutter speed ring to C position and attach a C, CF, CFi, CFE lens. Attach a flash synch cable from lens to CFV/CFVII. Menu on CFV/CFVII must be set for "Flash synch"
You can use any of our products (CFVII, CFII39, CFII39MS) with this configuration.

Paul Claesson
Hasselblad USA
Paul,

I thought the 200 series could be modified only for the CFV/CFVII? More info please!

Kumar

Paul,

I thought the 200 series could be modified only for the CFV/CFVII? More info please!

Kumar
Hi Kumar

The 200 Series that has been modified by Hasselblad is specific to the CFV/CFVII backs.

Option 3

This configuration in option 3 means that you will use the central shutter in the C type lens, the focal plane shutter is dis-engage and operates as an auxiliary curtain, the camera is essentially behaving like a 500 series camera and will work with the following backs: CFV, CFVII, CF22, CF22MS, CF39, CF39MS provided you connect the flash cable from the lens to the CFxx back and set the Menu in the back to Flash synch

Paul Claesson
Hasselblad USA

PeterA

Hi Paul and thanks for yoru feedback,

there is no doubt that teh H series camera and lenses deliver great studio shooting capability because ofteh high flash sync - thi sis the reson why I am happy to own a pretty extensive H seris kit.

My question however specificaly related to the use of F/FE series lenses. I know I can use my CFE lenses via CF adaptor on my H series body - it is the non leaf shutter lenses - the F/FE series lenses that I am concerned about here.

I am considering purchasing a 203/205TCC camera to shoot film with these lenses and also to hopefully shoot with a 40 megapixel back as I do not wish to use a 1.5X crop factor CFV/CFV11.

My question are :

1. How do I conenct a non CFV digital back to a 203 or 205?

2. What shutter speeds can I use with the 203/205 if I am using a V mount digi back ?

3. Am I 'only' looking at a 1/90th flash sync limitation when I am using flash - or is this the fastest shutter speed I can use at any time?

I would appreciate an answer to this question as this will determine wether I buy a 203/205 body to use with my F/FE lenses; and finally,

4. Do Hasselblad still supprt repairs to these bodies?

Thank you for your help
Pete

there is no doubt that teh H series camera and lenses deliver great studio shooting capability because ofteh high flash sync - thi sis the reson why I am happy to own a pretty extensive H seris kit.

My question however specificaly related to the use of F/FE series lenses. I know I can use my CFE lenses via CF adaptor on my H series body - it is the non leaf shutter lenses - the F/FE series lenses that I am concerned about here.

I am considering purchasing a 203/205TCC camera to shoot film with these lenses and also to hopefully shoot with a 40 megapixel back as I do not wish to use a 1.5X crop factor CFV/CFV11.

Thank you for your help
Pete
My question are :

Option 2
With a 200 series camera you can use the F/FE lenses with as an example a CF39 and use a Kapture Group single shot cable. Flash synch will be 1/90 second.

2. What shutter speeds can I use with the 203/205 if I am using a V mount digi back ?
32 seconds to 1/2000 second.

3. Am I 'only' looking at a 1/90th flash sync limitation when I am using flash - or is this the fastest shutter speed I can use at any time?
Yes, up to 1/90 second top flash synch speed when using focal plane shutter and F/FE lenses.

Absolutely. 201F, 202FA, 203FE, 205TCC and 205FCC.

the Address is:
Hasselblad USA
333 New Rd., Suite 5
Parsippany, NJ 07054
Att: Service dept.

Paul Claesson
Hasselblad USA

www.kapturegroup.com

FromJapan

Paul,

Just to clarify:

1. Hasselblad will modify a 200 series camera to accept the CFV/CFVII back, which will work with F type lenses. Will such a camera be usable with another CF back as well?
2. Any 200/2000 series camera will work with C type lenses and any CF back WITHOUT the camera having to be modified.
3. Any 200/2000 series camera will work with F type lenses and any CF back WITHOUT the camera having to be modified, but WITH the use of a KaptureGroup OneShot Release.
If so, what is the point of the conversion mentioned in 1 above?

Kumar

PeterA

My question are :

I would appreciate an answer to this question as this will determine wether I buy a 203/205 body to use with my F/FE lenses; and finally,

Thank you for your help
Pete

Just to clarify:

1. Hasselblad will modify a 200 series camera to accept the CFV/CFVII back, which will work with F type lenses.
Yes
Will such a camera be usable with another CF back as well?
Yes,
Option 2
With a 200 series camera you can use the F/FE lenses a with CF and use a Kapture Group single shot cable. www.kapturegroup.com

2. Any 200/2000 series camera will work with C type lenses and any CF back WITHOUT the camera having to be modified.
Yes,
Option 3
Dis-engage the focal plane shutter on the 200 camera by setting shutter speed ring to C position and attach a C, CF, CFi, CFE lens. Attach a flash synch cable from lens to CF, CFII, CFV/CFVII. Menu on CF must be set for "Flash synch"

3. Any 200/2000 series camera will work with F type lenses and any CF back WITHOUT the camera having to be modified, but WITH the use of a KaptureGroup OneShot Release.
Yes,
Option 2
With a 200 series camera you can use the F/FE lenses a with CF and use a Kapture Group single shot cable.

If so, what is the point of the conversion mentioned in 1 above?
By modifiying the 200 camera you eliminate the need of using a flash synch cable from lens to back with C type lenses or by using a third party one shot cable release. Try hand holding the camera, focusing, composing and then releasing the camera via cable release. Of course if using a tripod then i see no problem.
shoot on!

Kumar

Paul Claesson
Hasselblad USA