The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya Leaf introduces the new Leaf CREDO

gazwas

Sigh,
labled as a minority again.

Oh well I bow to your obvious superior knowledge and accept that oposing views are simply the ramblings of the uninformed with no contact with others in the profession.

:)

Have a good day Gareth
Sorry JonMo, I just don't get your rumblings about why you wouldn't want better features like a quality live view in future digital backs? As for your above post, it just comes acorss as childish and your flippant comment about my "superior knowledge" just doesn't help healthy discussion. I was not the one claiming those who want live view to be lazy and spoilt!

Focus is one of those things that can make or break a picture and having tools to help make a technical problem easier, freeing up the creative aspects of image making is only a good thing IMO.

However, this is drifting OT so I appogise to Yair for high jacking his topic.

yaya

No worries Gareth, we're talking about Live View which is one of the Credo's new features after all:thumbs:

I used LV for some of the images posted above. Didn't have to as the 150mm/2.8 is easy to focus manually but I wanted to get some practice with it and to get a feel of its practicality.
I must say that it worked really well in those conditions and made it easy to move quickly from one car to another as I only had 45 minutes to run through the museum.

Cheers

Yair

Egor

All macs still have FW800 in addition to TB. FW800 is fine and pllenty fast enough for the extremely small file sizes we are talking about here (less than 100mb) but there are adaptors to convert the thunderbolt port to the slower usb3, if that is preferred.
I have nothing but sympathy for engineers trying to keep up with all the new file transfer protocols, but I learned long ago "the great thing about standards is that we have so many of them!" ;)

Shashin

Wow. I can focus a MFD back on a ground glass on a view camera for reproduction work and the image is perfectly in focus. I can focus manual focus lenses in my MFD SLR and the images are perfectly in focus. It really is not hard. I am sure Live View is nice to have, but it is far from a requirement.

I remember when I first looked into MFD and the tolerance boogyman was always raised. Oooh, MFD is so hard, it is almost impossible to focus unless you can bench press 200lb, DoF does not exist, etc. The reality is that it is no more difficult to use a MFD camera than any other camera.

If MFD cameras have Live View, that is great, if not, I will still continue to take sharp images.

T.Karma

Honestly; have we gotten so lazy and spoiled as photographers that we can no longer do without "Live View"?! :facesmack:
In my case I do not think I have got lazy and would not mind focussing trough a VF or GG if it is for holidays and passion.
But doing volume in products live view is a Godsend. Simple. There is nothing rewarding or challenging doing the same focus guessing again and again.

Why should we not expect something from a camera that is 20x as expensive?

Again, if not using live view would give any special benefit, then one can discuss about it, but it doesnt in those cases where live view is helpful.

DeckardTrinity

To clarify my "insulting" question above... :rolleyes:

I was just trying to speculate on why USB 3.0 support does not seem imminent in either the already one year on released IQ backs nor in the up and coming Credos. My speculation would be simply that features have to be prioritized, just like with any product, and if it will only satisfy a small number of users, that particular feature may be a low priority. Again, just pure, unadulterated, wild speculation. :thumbs:

Now, my personal "must have" for the Credo is probably even lower priority than that, but I don't want to continue beating that horse down. :deadhorse:

JonMo

Easy now guys,:D
yes some of my comments are "flippant. and I would have though somewhat tongue in cheek.
I was finding it interesting the amount of concern for the specific quality of its live view function. Even read one that said it shouldn't be called that because it is not "true" live view.
Notice when I made my original post I used the word "we". Usually I take that as self inclusive and was supposed to be somewhat self depreciating as well. I have been know to think wistfully of missing features and needs within a new product myself.
Perhaps my humor, which has occasionally been described as "dry", does not translate well to the drama of on-line forum.

I guess my personal windmill of the USB port is due to my own needs and fond memories of the Bluetooth function on my old Aptus 65s that I never really got to use. If the port is there, why can't I use it?:banghead:

Please; any offense was not meant; just some perspective from those with perhaps a different view.

Besides: I may have a mental deficiency, my favorite walk around cam has no view finder, manual aperture, no light meter, no way to check focus, manual cocking of the shutter and unlike Don, Guy and others who also use the Cambo RS; no fancy easy hold wooden grips.

The first step is admitting I have a problem.:)

yaya

Back to the topic then shall we?

This morning, outside in the garden. Both images are of Live View running on the back's display, the right one is at 100% zoom

And as a reference:

fotografz

Congratulations on a very nice evolution of the Leaf backs. :thumbs:

Always have had a soft spot for all things Leaf. It is just something about the look and feel of the files ... :)

-Marc

I popped into MILK Studios in NY yesterday and was able to check one out for a few minutes. It's a big improvement over the Aptus backs. Super responsive, easy to navigate, with customizable menus and the screen looks great! You can see the Phase influence on the physical design, but also see that Leaf made it their own. The scrolling on the outside of the image area is a REALLY nice feature. I'm looking forward to putting one through the paces once demos are readily available.

Aryan Aqajani

Although the new high resolution screen, live view and all other stuffs sounds interesting, still it does not offer what I need the most! I don't care about live view at all! All I needed to have in a new DB like Credo was long exposure capability of more than 3 minutes!!! It seems still P45+ with its tiny screen is the way to go!

yaya

As we get closer to shipping and as we get to show it to more and more people, I had an opportunity today to play with the Credo 80 on an RZ with a 110mm lens. Some silly table-top setup but I liked how this combo works with the brilliant screen, Live View and of course the WLF!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Not having tried the Credo myself which I would love to do . I do have a question on live view and having a IQ back are they equal too, better or worse in live view. honestly myself I use the zoom to 100 percent more than anything and are the comparable as well. Sorry I asked 2 questions here.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
To be honest I've yet to have a good experience with live view on my IQ. (maybe it's due to MY iq?). Anyway, the screen shot there looks like the ideal situation of controlled indoor lighting where it does seem to just about work. I would hope that the Credo is an evolution from the IQ because I know that best I've achieved has been comparable to a 1950's TV with poor bunny ear antenna reception. YMMV.