Site Sponsors

Thread: Fuji GX860III with H back

Post Thanks / Like

Fuji GX860III with H back

Thanks to Willow's thread, i started to look into the GX680 body and noticed that KaptureGroup makes an adapter for H backs. This is very tempting to me...

You figure $900. on a body on Ebay, $500. on a lens, $1500. for the adapter... but then i start getting into HTS 1.5 territory.

Has anyone here gone down this decision making road? I'd like to experiment with movements and not sure which is the better route.

TIA.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fuji GX860III with H back

You can get a Whole GX680 kit off ebay for around $1000 easily. With $1500 or so for the adapter (They have a clearance where it can be had for around $1100 putting your total cost at $2100)

The only problem with the plate that KaptureGroup has (I called and spoke with their owner previously about GX680 use with my P45+ in H mount) and they said that due to the design of the plate with H backs you would lose infinity focus.

If you are going to use it for studio and table top photography where you would use the tilt and shift functions for product and whatnot then it is definitely a great combination as lenses can be had for it as low as $200. You could get a decent set of lenses for around $1000 and the rest of the kit for $2100 or so (with a lens), as opposed to one H system Lens and the HTS for around $6000+ (and that is on the used market)

I myself plan on getting a GX680III at some point, supposedly they are working on another adaptor plate that will have infinity focus. At that point I would deem it worth the plunge.

-Rick
    Rick Rose
    www.RickrPhoto.com
    HasselPhase

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

You can get a Fuji gx680 complete for about $400 plus $100 to 150 for an AA battery pack.

Fuji GX 680 camera, 100mm/4.0 lens, Rollfimholder | eBay

I highly recommend this dealer.

Also the current Fuji gx680 H back adapter requires a custom focusing screen and goes not focus at infinity with some lenses.

However kapture group told me that they will soon have a new option for the H backs that will not require a custom focusing screen and will focus at infinity on all lenses.

There is an HTS 1.5 on ebay, but the asking price is $6,700

Hasselblad HTS1.5 Shift Tilt adapter | eBay

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

The Fuji gx680 version one is my favorite Fuji 680 model. No need to spend more on the Fuji gx680 III

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Also don't forget that you can shoot film at 6x8cm on the Fuji gx680 when you prefer to leave your pricey digital (crop sensor ) at home.

Results with modern film are really quite amazing.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Fred!

How have you been?

I am assuming you are shooting your GX680 with film these days, did you decide which digital you are going to go with?

If the GX680 I is just as useful and you can get a whole kit for $400 it make's it even more appealing over the HTS…
    Rick Rose
    www.RickrPhoto.com
    HasselPhase

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a mint Kapture Group Fuji GX680 to Mamiya mount Phase One adapter kit for sale.

It works with all GX680 bodies. Includes adapter plate, control box and long cable release.

Price $650

Post Thanks / Like

I should mention that i have already a Hasselblad H3DII-31 body/back. So i'd want to use it with that, thanks Fred, you are giving me some good info so far.

I'm looking more on the digital side and less on the film side. How was your experience with the digital backs?

Also, i heard the GX680 I has a battery which can't be replaced without service. I'd prefer any modifications the III can afford me. Is that realistic or rubbish?

I'm not too concerned with Infinity focus as i'll be using it for portraits, not so much landscapes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FredBGG View Post
    There is an HTS 1.5 on ebay, but the asking price is $6,700

Hasselblad HTS1.5 Shift Tilt adapter | eBay
    That's ridiculous, i've seen them as low as $3700. on forums, i'd never pay that much.

Post Thanks / Like

And i was hoping to avoid using the OneShot module... needs to keep adjustments to a minimum, which one could argue i'm barking up the wrong tree. But i don't mind making camera adjustments, but the extra box bothers me.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

You can only shoot at a 15th of a second without the Kaptue group box, and you would have to do a two shot. One to wake up the back and one to capture.

The Fuji GX680 I body does not have an internal battery, it uses an AA battery pack. It is only the version one backs that have the memory battery that is not user replacable. Just use the version IIIn back with the Gx680 I and you will be fine.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zerimar View Post
    Hello Fred!

How have you been?

I am assuming you are shooting your GX680 with film these days, did you decide which digital you are going to go with?

If the GX680 I is just as useful and you can get a whole kit for $400 it make's it even more appealing over the HTS…
    Yup.... my preference is to shoot film. I keep the option of shooting digital on the Fuji GX 680 only if I need to shoot tilt shift and need imidiate turnaround and want to shoot film too.

I use a various Phase one backs... rent what i need when I need it.

For the rest the Nikon D800 does a beautiful job... often better than MF digital in many situations.
    Last edited by FredBGG; 26th April 2012 at 18:39.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm using a 680III with a Mamiya/P65+ back, Kapture Group's adapter and could not be more pleased. I haven't tried anything at infinity yet, no, I have, I just haven't looked at it closely.

Anyway, here is a shot that would be a nightmare as a focus-stack. With a little tilt, a little swing, it is a dream.

Bill O'Connor

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

That 65+ back looks great on the Fuji. The 680 Fujinons are fine lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a mint Kapture Group Fuji GX680 to Mamiya mount Phase One adapter kit for sale.

It works with all GX680 bodies. Includes adapter plate, control box and long cable release.

Price $650

Fred,
    I use the Kapture Group Fuji release, but have never seen one with the Phase One connector attached. Did you have that specially made or customized by them ?

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

I posted this in the other thread about the Fuji, but I think it would be helpful for the O/P as to repeat it here...

I use Fuji GX 680 with 65, 100, 125, 150 & 210 glass, 3 finders (WLF, loupe & prism) film back and adapter plate for Contax 645 MFDBs... For backs, I share my Sinarback 54H & Hasselblad CF-39MS between my Contax 645 system & the Fuji. I am very pleased with the performance of the glass I use and using a Contax 645 back on it is completely trouble free, as focusing is dead accurate and focusing to infinity is no problem. Additionally, the backs I use need no "one shot" cable and more than that, I can have very good LV with it by using Sinar's LC shutter on it with the Sinarback 54H.... The image quality result on stills when using the Sinarback 54H in 16x mode is simply "jaw dropping"... a real world apart than anything a 60mp back or an 80mp one can ever achieve...

The system's limitations are the following:

1. It doesn't cope well mechanically with Hasselblad H backs, so H backs are better to be avoided with it....
    2. It doesn't sync well with backs that need "waking up".... so backs that need an one shot cable are better avoided
    3. One can't go wider than 50mm with the lenses... So if he is to use the full potential of its 6x8 image area, one has to either use film, or a stitching adapter, or a scanning back on it....
    4. A stitching adapter is only available for Hasselblad V mount MFDBs, so one that uses interchangeable plate MFDBs (like in my case) has to change the back's plate to Hasselblad -V as to attach it on....

Other than the above, the 50mm lens has less wide image circle than the rest of the lenses and it won't allow full shifts if the whole 6x8 image area is to be used... thus, it is alo expected to be the softer one near the edges and corners when no movements are applied... but it is a great lens to use with an MFDB (with movements too) if no stitching is required...

IMO, Fuji is a great system (especially if one considers the cost of the system) provided that one doesn't need ultra wide AOV or "one shot" cable, or the back is of H fit...

P.S. For digital (especially for use with multishot backs), the most "quiet" out of all Fuji GX-680s is the (I) followed by the (II)... There is absolutely no reason for one to pay extra for a (III) body unless if he intents to use a film back of 6x6 or 6x4.5 with it where he will lose the WA coverage any way...

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back Fred. I've missed you, especially your wisdom on all things Fuji GX

That 65+ back looks great on the Fuji. The 680 Fujinons are fine lenses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"Welcome back Fred?"

It's not 2012 anymore.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    "Welcome back Fred?"

It's not 2012 anymore.
    Is that supposed to be sarcastic?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by AndyPtak View Post
    I almost forgot about Fred!

Fred has not been around since 2012, the last post quoted here was from then.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndyPtak View Post
    Some people have developed a talent into posting irrelevant and thus ruin the conversation on subjects that others may find useful...
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not sarcastic. I find it a bit odd that posters are not only addressing three year old questions, but responding to former members who've been gone for years.

Though some believe that Fred is still dropping by using another name, I think not.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    Not sarcastic. I find it a bit odd that posters are not only addressing three year old questions, but responding to former members who've been gone for years.

Though some believe that Fred is still dropping by using another name, I think not.
    What that has to do with anything? Is there something wrong with resurrecting old but interesting (to many) technical subjects? ....After all its not the first time that you (and your company that "likes" your nothing posts) are posting bold... Can't you just lay back and let the thread fade if there is no interest for it? ...Obviously you are unable to do so... what is it to you?

EDIT: Keep up with the good work! As far as I know you (and your "company") have no interest in Fuji GX-680 or its potential, or are interested to find out what it can do... Let me remind you the definition of a Troll... They are (Norwegian - originated from the Greek Kalikantzaros myth) creatures that jump from the underworld only to mess up people's lives from their habits/interests... Do you see anything that fits the description?

This is thee fourth and last time.
    thi post resulted in a ban
    -bob
    Last edited by Bob; 13th December 2015 at 16:01. Reason: EDIT:

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fred was banned a long time ago ergo not available under there name.

Maybe start a new thread would be more relevant if your after that info. Besides parties involved in old threads things change over time with fresh technology.

Also being friendly will keep you away from that not available status. I'm very tired of rude comments.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Admin edit. Not useful
    Last edited by Guy Mancuso; 13th December 2015 at 13:28. Reason: edit

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Admin edit. Just cleaning up
    Last edited by Guy Mancuso; 13th December 2015 at 13:29.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Re: Fuji GX860III with H back

Admin edit. Really after what I already said
    Last edited by Guy Mancuso; 13th December 2015 at 13:30. Reason: Not useful

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Locked thread. I had enough

Fair warning calling out other members is like a capital offense. Not allowed and I don't want to see it written again on this forum. Do I make myself clear and challenging me or any admin or mod on our decisions here is even worse.
    Last edited by Guy Mancuso; 13th December 2015 at 13:34.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post