The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji GX860III with H back

Status
Not open for further replies.

symbolphoto

Thanks to Willow's thread, i started to look into the GX680 body and noticed that KaptureGroup makes an adapter for H backs. This is very tempting to me...

You figure $900. on a body on Ebay, $500. on a lens, $1500. for the adapter... but then i start getting into HTS 1.5 territory.

Has anyone here gone down this decision making road? I'd like to experiment with movements and not sure which is the better route.

TIA.

Zerimar

You can get a Whole GX680 kit off ebay for around $1000 easily. With $1500 or so for the adapter (They have a clearance where it can be had for around $1100 putting your total cost at $2100)

The only problem with the plate that KaptureGroup has (I called and spoke with their owner previously about GX680 use with my P45+ in H mount) and they said that due to the design of the plate with H backs you would lose infinity focus.

If you are going to use it for studio and table top photography where you would use the tilt and shift functions for product and whatnot then it is definitely a great combination as lenses can be had for it as low as $200. You could get a decent set of lenses for around $1000 and the rest of the kit for $2100 or so (with a lens), as opposed to one H system Lens and the HTS for around $6000+ (and that is on the used market)

I myself plan on getting a GX680III at some point, supposedly they are working on another adaptor plate that will have infinity focus. At that point I would deem it worth the plunge.

-Rick

FredBGG

Not Available
You can get a Fuji gx680 complete for about $400 plus $100 to 150 for an AA battery pack.

Fuji GX 680 camera, 100mm/4.0 lens, Rollfimholder | eBay

I highly recommend this dealer.

Also the current Fuji gx680 H back adapter requires a custom focusing screen and goes not focus at infinity with some lenses.

However kapture group told me that they will soon have a new option for the H backs that will not require a custom focusing screen and will focus at infinity on all lenses.

There is an HTS 1.5 on ebay, but the asking price is $6,700

Hasselblad HTS1.5 Shift Tilt adapter | eBay

FredBGG

Not Available
The Fuji gx680 version one is my favorite Fuji 680 model. No need to spend more on the Fuji gx680 III

FredBGG

Not Available
Also don't forget that you can shoot film at 6x8cm on the Fuji gx680 when you prefer to leave your pricey digital (crop sensor ;) ) at home.

Results with modern film are really quite amazing.

Zerimar

Hello Fred!

How have you been?

I am assuming you are shooting your GX680 with film these days, did you decide which digital you are going to go with?

If the GX680 I is just as useful and you can get a whole kit for $400 it make's it even more appealing over the HTS…

FredBGG

Not Available
I have a mint Kapture Group Fuji GX680 to Mamiya mount Phase One adapter kit for sale.

It works with all GX680 bodies. Includes adapter plate, control box and long cable release.

Price $650

symbolphoto

I should mention that i have already a Hasselblad H3DII-31 body/back. So i'd want to use it with that, thanks Fred, you are giving me some good info so far.

I'm looking more on the digital side and less on the film side. How was your experience with the digital backs?

Also, i heard the GX680 I has a battery which can't be replaced without service. I'd prefer any modifications the III can afford me. Is that realistic or rubbish?

I'm not too concerned with Infinity focus as i'll be using it for portraits, not so much landscapes.

symbolphoto

And i was hoping to avoid using the OneShot module... needs to keep adjustments to a minimum, which one could argue i'm barking up the wrong tree. :) But i don't mind making camera adjustments, but the extra box bothers me.

FredBGG

Not Available
You can only shoot at a 15th of a second without the Kaptue group box, and you would have to do a two shot. One to wake up the back and one to capture.

The Fuji GX680 I body does not have an internal battery, it uses an AA battery pack. It is only the version one backs that have the memory battery that is not user replacable. Just use the version IIIn back with the Gx680 I and you will be fine.

FredBGG

Not Available
Hello Fred!

How have you been?

I am assuming you are shooting your GX680 with film these days, did you decide which digital you are going to go with?

If the GX680 I is just as useful and you can get a whole kit for $400 it make's it even more appealing over the HTS…
Yup.... my preference is to shoot film. I keep the option of shooting digital on the Fuji GX 680 only if I need to shoot tilt shift and need imidiate turnaround and want to shoot film too.

I use a various Phase one backs... rent what i need when I need it.

For the rest the Nikon D800 does a beautiful job... often better than MF digital in many situations.

Last edited:

lenslover

I'm using a 680III with a Mamiya/P65+ back, Kapture Group's adapter and could not be more pleased. I haven't tried anything at infinity yet, no, I have, I just haven't looked at it closely.

Anyway, here is a shot that would be a nightmare as a focus-stack. With a little tilt, a little swing, it is a dream.

Bill O'Connor

davida

I have a mint Kapture Group Fuji GX680 to Mamiya mount Phase One adapter kit for sale.

It works with all GX680 bodies. Includes adapter plate, control box and long cable release.

Price $650

Fred,
I use the Kapture Group Fuji release, but have never seen one with the Phase One connector attached. Did you have that specially made or customized by them ?

T.Dascalos

Not Available
I posted this in the other thread about the Fuji, but I think it would be helpful for the O/P as to repeat it here...

I use Fuji GX 680 with 65, 100, 125, 150 & 210 glass, 3 finders (WLF, loupe & prism) film back and adapter plate for Contax 645 MFDBs... For backs, I share my Sinarback 54H & Hasselblad CF-39MS between my Contax 645 system & the Fuji. I am very pleased with the performance of the glass I use and using a Contax 645 back on it is completely trouble free, as focusing is dead accurate and focusing to infinity is no problem. Additionally, the backs I use need no "one shot" cable and more than that, I can have very good LV with it by using Sinar's LC shutter on it with the Sinarback 54H.... The image quality result on stills when using the Sinarback 54H in 16x mode is simply "jaw dropping"... a real world apart than anything a 60mp back or an 80mp one can ever achieve...

The system's limitations are the following:

1. It doesn't cope well mechanically with Hasselblad H backs, so H backs are better to be avoided with it....
2. It doesn't sync well with backs that need "waking up".... so backs that need an one shot cable are better avoided
3. One can't go wider than 50mm with the lenses... So if he is to use the full potential of its 6x8 image area, one has to either use film, or a stitching adapter, or a scanning back on it....
4. A stitching adapter is only available for Hasselblad V mount MFDBs, so one that uses interchangeable plate MFDBs (like in my case) has to change the back's plate to Hasselblad -V as to attach it on....

Other than the above, the 50mm lens has less wide image circle than the rest of the lenses and it won't allow full shifts if the whole 6x8 image area is to be used... thus, it is alo expected to be the softer one near the edges and corners when no movements are applied... but it is a great lens to use with an MFDB (with movements too) if no stitching is required...

IMO, Fuji is a great system (especially if one considers the cost of the system) provided that one doesn't need ultra wide AOV or "one shot" cable, or the back is of H fit...

P.S. For digital (especially for use with multishot backs), the most "quiet" out of all Fuji GX-680s is the (I) followed by the (II)... There is absolutely no reason for one to pay extra for a (III) body unless if he intents to use a film back of 6x6 or 6x4.5 with it where he will lose the WA coverage any way...

Status
Not open for further replies.