The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One 4 Pro day...or?

A

andershald

Hi.

Today is the day Phase One said they are going to release Capture One 4 Pro. Just checked the Phase One website (it is now 5 minutes shy of noon in Copenhagen) and there is nothing on the website.

Does anybody know if we can expect it today?

I am (of course) after a pc version, so either way I may have to wait until spring... :cry:

Best reagrads,
Anders

A

andershald

Hi Guy.

Oh, good. Where can I get my free upgrade? Do you know if the windows version is available now as well?

Anders

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I heard they both are ready. I would keep checking on the Phase site but as soon as i see it I will post a link or any one sees it please post a link. Also i sent Doug a note last night and he recommended deleting the current C1 4.0. From Doug at CI

Shoot. Really need to make a blog entry for this.

Delete 4. Delete preferences/cache/application support. Per uninstall instructions:
http://phaseone.com/HOME/Content/Support/Article.aspx?articleid=1164&LanguageID=1

Doug

Also. It is 10.5 only. No Tiger support.

More when im not dead.

Doug

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thanks Chris. If you have a link also to download that will be great. I just cleaned both computers off

lance_schad

Workshop Member
We had Canon running tethered last night during our event and while it worked, it was not the fastest. More details to come.

The image quality of the P65+ was amazing as was the shooting speed.

I am sure Doug is editing the images while he is his the flight up to Atlanta to post. We had a late night here and are still cleaning up.

Maybe David K can give some of his impressions while he was here.

lance

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Quick sample from a still life set that we had. We were using a Sinar p2 w/ 80mm digitar and the P65+.
Here is a 100% crop from an area and the overview shot . The dimensions of the shot when processed out were 22.44" x 29.64". 182.5MB 8 bit Tiff/ 60MB IIQL RAW file.
Wow!

David K

Workshop Member
Maybe David K can give some of his impressions while he was here.
lance
Kind of a cross post but I'm happy to share my impressions (can't share images because they're all on Doug's computer). The resolution of the new P65+ is amazing and there's certainly no shortage of sharpness with the 120 macro and 150mm lenses that I saw used. You can see peach fuzz on the peach fuzz of a model's face with this kit. When shooting tethered the software gives you the option of choosing a style (I think that's what it's called), e.g. black and white, higher/lower contrast, higher/lower saturation, etc. so that the image you see on the monitor can be fine tuned after the first shot and before the shoot begins in earnest. Kind of like a pre-post processing thing (talk about an oxymoron). From what I saw the software doesn't seem to be quite ready to handle the P65+ files, (bogs down a bit), but part of that could be the laptop we're shooting on. Keep in mind these files are very large. I'd probably get myself one of the new 4GB RAM Mac Book Pro laptops if I were going to shoot tethered with this back. I couldn't stay for the software demo (I was parked on the street and you get towed there at 6:00pm) but did confirm with Doug that it's still a session based program which has it's good and bad aspects. I'll let him explain that in more detail. As an aside, it was great to see Steve Hendrix looking spiffy in his black Phase One shirt :) BTW, Lance's sample posted above doesn't come close to doing justice to the files.... they are much better than they appear above.

David K

Workshop Member
Seems to be working fine on my machine... all I need to do now is re-learn how to use it. It's been quite some time for me.

robsteve

Subscriber
Lance:

How do you use a LCC correction for a nonPhase file? That option is grayed out for my DMR files.

Robert

A

andershald

How do I know if it is the PRO version, it doesn't say anywhere.

Anders

A

andershald

Ok, thanks, that's the one!
Thanks again guys.

It is running very smooth and fast on my PC, not a hitch so far.

I am very happy, good thing I managed to take my Contax/P30+ out for a spin this sunday.

Anders