The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Loving the move to DMF

Nathan W. Lediard

I recently invested in a new hasselblad H4D-40 with an 80mm, 50 - 110 and the 28mm...

All I can say is that I am blown away by the file quality... and having shot MF film before the change in pace from 35mm to MF digital has not really bothered me at all...

I have been using 1 series canons the last few years and they do not have bad viewfinders, but the hassy viewfinder is just a joy to use... and I can see better the areas that are in focus...

Talking of focus the True Focus is just incredible.. it really does work, and in fact even though the AF is of course slower than my 1DsmkIII the Hassy has a success rate that puts the canon to shame!
Yes small kids in the studio can test the hassy, but to be honest fast kids running straight at you in a studio can test most AF systems.. :O

I primarily shoot people, be it advertising or portraits in my studio or on location... the skin tones are the best I have seen.. and despite the larger raw files I am spending less time on PP due to the very pleasing skin tones the hassy produces...

The tonality is just amazing too, low key portraits in the studio are joy to work on in lightroom afterwards.. the shadow areas are sooo much smoother than 35mm digital files...

The lenses I have so far are just amazing, I shoot with top canon glass (ef 85 f1.2L etc) and have owned both the 300 f2.8L and the 200 f2.0L (both gone to fund the hassy) but the sharpness that these H lenses can produce is just amazing... the zoom, well it is sharper than a lot of primes I have tried! the 50-110 is just an incredible lens, heavy yes, but the IQ defends the weight :)

On my way back from a portrait job today (yes working on a sunday... peak time at the moment) I stopped off to get this shot, I am building a foto library of the local area... not an artistic shot, just documenting the local area... This was taken at 110mm with the 50-110 on a tripod f16, 1/45s iso 100
Here is the view....

and some 100% crops for your pixel peeping pleasure

and a map....

crops taken from a jpeg exported from lightroom 4 and no extra sharpening applied.

Pleased with my investment? Oh yes! and so far so are my customers...

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The thing I like most about MF digital is the tonality of the files. Sure the resolution is great and I'm often in shock & awe at times when I review images on the computer after a shoot but I just find the look of the files to be the kicker personally.

Glad to see that you're enjoying your new tools!!

Nathan W. Lediard

The thing I like most about MF digital is the tonality of the files. Sure the resolution is great and I'm often in shock & awe at times when I review images on the computer after a shoot but I just find the look of the files to be the kicker personally.

Glad to see that you're enjoying your new tools!!
I know exactly what you mean :)

I just did a little advertising job for a local company, and I just sat looking at the files... the tonality 3D look was just something else... Maybe I will get used to it, but right now its putting alot of fun back into my work!

fotografz

Nice post Nathan. It's a joy to work with these cameras isn't it?

I spent the week writing, storyboarding, and then editing 3 HDTV spots for a local client using nothing but stills I had shot for them with a H camera. We did major zoom-ins, pans and all sorts of stuff to animate the spots, and the files never failed us. The editor was blown away by the flexibility. Client loved them so much, they want more for the Fall ... so bought three more photo sessions and more TV development!

Best of luck with your H4D/40 ... it is a great camera.

-Marc