Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Pentax 67 lenses on MFD SLR system

  1. #1
    Senior Member Ed Hurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,161
    Post Thanks / Like

    Pentax 67 lenses on MFD SLR system

    Hello all,

    Following my earlier (stupid) question, I have a different question! If I want to use my Pentax 67 lenses on a Medium Format digital SLR, what option do I have? The only one I can think of is the Phase system of backs with a Mamiya (or Phase or Leaf) body, and trying to find a mount adaptor to mount the lenses. Is this possible? Does anyone know of such a mount? Would the lenses work properly this way? Would the autofocus system provide focus confirmation if I were to use an adaptor?

    Thanks in advance for your advice!

    All the best,

    Ed

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    143
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax 67 lenses on MFD SLR system

    i have a pentax 67 adapter for contax 645 bodies if that is what you're looking for. bought it from zoerk about two years ago and used some pentax glass on my contax. works well for some applications where speed isn't an issue.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Ed Hurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,161
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax 67 lenses on MFD SLR system

    Thanks for that - appreciate it. Does the AF system provide focus confirmation when you are using Pentax 67 lenses on this body?

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    143
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax 67 lenses on MFD SLR system

    yes, if i remember correctly the focus confermation works as well.

  5. #5
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,275
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: Pentax 67 lenses on MFD SLR system

    Yes, you can use it on the Mamiya 645 AFD, AFDII, or Phase One 645 via an adapter. In each case the AF Focus Confirmation would still work.

    Those bodies will accept Hassy 200, Hassy 500 (V), Pentax, and all sorts of other whacky glass while maintaining some degree of aperture-priority metering and AF confirmation.

    Doug Peterson, Head of Technical Services
    Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer
    Personal Portfolio

  6. #6
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Bill Caulfeild-Browne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Bruce Peninsula, Canada
    Posts
    2,535
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    184

    Re: Pentax 67 lenses on MFD SLR system

    Quote Originally Posted by dougpetersonci View Post
    Yes, you can use it on the Mamiya 645 AFD, AFDII, or Phase One 645 via an adapter. In each case the AF Focus Confirmation would still work.

    Those bodies will accept Hassy 200, Hassy 500 (V), Pentax, and all sorts of other whacky glass while maintaining some degree of aperture-priority metering and AF confirmation.

    Doug Peterson, Head of Technical Services
    Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer
    Personal Portfolio
    Doug, what is your experience - if any - of the older non-AF Mamiya lenses on the Phase One/AFDIII? Page 83 of the Instruction Manual says they will not work with stop down metering - which is true of my 80.f1.9 and 200.f2.8. Focus confirmation works but the metering gives nonsense readings.

    Yet Jack, elsewhere on this forum, has found that one of his old Mamiya lenses does work. What's your take?

    Bill

  7. #7
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Manchester/Jerusalem
    Posts
    2,652
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    290

    Re: Pentax 67 lenses on MFD SLR system

    The MF mamiya lenses won't work properly with the AFD bodies? That's not good.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

    Website: http://www.timelessjewishart.com

  8. #8
    Senior Member Ed Hurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,161
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pentax 67 lenses on MFD SLR system

    Thanks everyone for your help so far on this. It's exciting me, because it's making me think that jumping to medium format digital might be possible for me (it kinda depends on using the P67 lenses I already have, at least in the short-term).

    Just one follow-on question. Doug, you said "Those bodies will accept Hassy 200, Hassy 500 (V), Pentax, and all sorts of other whacky glass while maintaining some degree of aperture-priority metering and AF confirmation." The phrase "some degree" is concerning me a little! If I use P67 glass with an adaptor, can I expect to be able to meter with them, or might I have the same problem experienced by some of the manual focus Mamiya lenses?

    Many thanks.

  9. #9
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Bill Caulfeild-Browne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Bruce Peninsula, Canada
    Posts
    2,535
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    184

    Re: Pentax 67 lenses on MFD SLR system

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    The MF mamiya lenses won't work properly with the AFD bodies? That's not good.
    Ben, I think they may work with the original AFD and the AFD II - but not with the AFD III. But I'd love for some other AFD III users with manual lenses to confirm this.
    Bill

  10. #10
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,275
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: Pentax 67 lenses on MFD SLR system

    Don't know where that info came from...

    As I said, MF lenses work on the Phase One 645 (same as AFD III). You'll need to place them in M mode (manual stop down) and metering is locked to center point and is hit-or-miss. The Autofocus Confirmation system works perfectly, so as you focus and the AF-confirmation system will tell you when you are in perfect focus for that subject.

    These lenses are not a great replacement for a Sekor D as a main lens. They tend to be less sharp wide open and exhibit more chromatic aberration. But they are still pretty good lenses and are an amazingly inexpensive way to expand your available line of glass. For instance an 55-110mm f/4.5 lens in excellent condition can be had for $199. If you're photography calls for a zoom to be your main lens then this would be a terrible choice compared to one of the new Sekor D zooms, but if you're primarily a landscape shooter you could pick up this zoom lens for that rare occasion when you need something longer.

    Here is a sampling of the MF lenses which could ship today from KEH.com

    35mm f/3.5 - bargain condition - $159
    45mm f/2.8 - excellent condition - $215
    55mm f/4.5 - excellent condition - $199
    80mm f/4 Macro - excellent condition - $149
    110mm f/2.8 - poor condition - $80
    145mm f/4 - soft focus - excellent condition - $225
    210mm f/4 - excellent condition - $65
    300mm f/5.6 - excellent condition - $235

    One of the many benefits of an extremely open Phase One system :-).

    Doug Peterson, Head of Technical Services
    Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer | Personal Portfolio

  11. #11
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Bill Caulfeild-Browne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Bruce Peninsula, Canada
    Posts
    2,535
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    184

    Re: Pentax 67 lenses on MFD SLR system

    Quote Originally Posted by dougpetersonci View Post
    Don't know where that info came from...

    As I said, MF lenses work on the Phase One 645 (same as AFD III). You'll need to place them in M mode (manual stop down) and metering is locked to center point and is hit-or-miss. The Autofocus Confirmation system works perfectly, so as you focus and the AF-confirmation system will tell you when you are in perfect focus for that subject.

    These lenses are not a great replacement for a Sekor D as a main lens. They tend to be less sharp wide open and exhibit more chromatic aberration. But they are still pretty good lenses and are an amazingly inexpensive way to expand your available line of glass. For instance an 55-110mm f/4.5 lens in excellent condition can be had for $199. If you're photography calls for a zoom to be your main lens then this would be a terrible choice compared to one of the new Sekor D zooms, but if you're primarily a landscape shooter you could pick up this zoom lens for that rare occasion when you need something longer.

    Here is a sampling of the MF lenses which could ship today from KEH.com

    35mm f/3.5 - bargain condition - $159
    45mm f/2.8 - excellent condition - $215
    55mm f/4.5 - excellent condition - $199
    80mm f/4 Macro - excellent condition - $149
    110mm f/2.8 - poor condition - $80
    145mm f/4 - soft focus - excellent condition - $225
    210mm f/4 - excellent condition - $65
    300mm f/5.6 - excellent condition - $235

    One of the many benefits of an extremely open Phase One system :-).

    Doug Peterson, Head of Technical Services
    Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer | Personal Portfolio
    There may be a misunderstanding here - perhaps I have not been very clear.

    First, the older Mamiya lenses WILL fit the newer cameras.

    Second, you CAN get autofocus confirmation - the green dot - of manual focus

    Third, in my experience and according to the Phase 645 manual, stop down metering will NOT work. It gives readings that are way underexposed at full aperture, less so as the you approach minimum aperture.

    But I agree completely with Doug re lens quality. I use mostly "D" lenses which are all state-of-the-art. I have an old F1.9 "N" lens for things like the northern lights, where the wide aperture is more important than resolution. I also have a 200 mm 2.8 Apo which is just a tad sharper than the already very sharp 210 mm AF lens. But because I can't get stop down metering to work, I'll sell this lens.

    I'd love to hear from other Phase/AFDIII users about their experience with the older lenses.

    Bill

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •