The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How do you guys and gals like C1 Pro v4.5 so far?

dhsimmonds

Let me know when there is a new version.
Right now, I am going back to 3.7.8

Victor
Victor

Like you I found the transistion to v-4.5 straight from 3.7.8 not so easy as filing into "_develops" being automatic in the latter. All I do now is to make a new folder "-develops" under the original image file folder using the C1 "browse" command and bingo, it then saves all my processed images just as before in v-3.7.8. So I get the same filing workflow as before.

It really is worth perservering in my view as you would otherwise be missing a superb processing engine. Oh, and I am a very old dog too!

harmsr

Workshop Member
Dale,

Unfortunately, that is true. To do the camera and color temp presets, you have to create a style. Load that style to a picture, then copy the adjustments to the other pictures.

They did promise for it to have the feature as in 3.7.9, and I also passed this on to Doug. Let's see what they do in the next minor update (hopefully soon).

Best,

Ray

gogopix

Subscriber
The first two definitely look oversharpened to me. V4.5 to my eyes is by far the best. Since I am a Hassy shooter I don't use C1 for raw conversion (although I love it for M8 images). However the main reason for me to use Phocus is to get the Digital Adjustment Corrections (DAC). Beyond that the two converters both appear to do a good job. Phocus is feature shy compared to C4.5 Pro but I expect most of those features will be added in version 1.1. We'll see.

Woody
Yes, that's the first thing I noticed, that default sharpening even at '34' (whatever THAT means) was too much. I default to no sharpening or noise for most of my raw conversions, since there are much better sharpening and noise reduction methods
That said, C1 does a great job in getting detail out of the image, and 4.5 MAY be better, but right now the workflow is driving me crazy.
As I said, I will stick to 3.7.x BUT I fully intend to continue to learn and work out a workflow for 4.5.
Phase One isn't going to change that much, just for MOI! :D

But they might consider adding back some of the 3.7.x workflow options
Regards
Victor

gogopix

Subscriber
Victor

Like you I found the transistion to v-4.5 straight from 3.7.8 not so easy as filing into "_develops" being automatic in the latter. All I do now is to make a new folder "-develops" under the original image file folder using the C1 "browse" command and bingo, it then saves all my processed images just as before in v-3.7.8. So I get the same filing workflow as before.

It really is worth perservering in my view as you would otherwise be missing a superb processing engine. Oh, and I am a very old dog too!
Does that mean you can create ONCE for all raw folders, or do you need to create it for each

One thing I will admit is that I label the raw folder with the image number range. It would be nice to be able to pick up the RAW name and add 'develops'

I will continue to learn, if only to claim that maybe I ain't an "ol' dog":thumbup:

Thanks for the input-I too think the engine in 4.5 is an improvement, so I really WANT this to work,

but hey, by giving feedback they get better, AND if I am doing something wrong or that has a new and better way, the guys on this forum from the moderators down are terrific in helping!!!:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

regards
Victor

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Victor my workflow is really simple for processing. Just some food for thought. Normal i will bring a card in with images and rename it example Sally Portrait Raw 101708. So that is my raw folder and I copy that to a raw workflow drive to work from , you can put it on the desktop also .I also copy that folder to another drive that is My Raw Storage. Okay so I have the raws in actually three spots but when I fire up C1 , I just use the far left icon and find the folder from the raw work drive . Than I go into the processing tab and create a new folder and call it Sally Portrait Finals 101708 and place that on the desktop and that is where all the final 16 bit files go as i process. From there i either work on them in Cs3 or copy them to my Final Image drive for storage. So very simple way to set up. Now the C1 folder with the data goes in that Raw folder and I keep that incase i go back to process more and it retains my changes and such. The folder that gets put in the Pictures folder by default really has no files in it so it is relatively small and don't worry about it

Dale Allyn

Ray,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, let's hope this is part of a .1 update.

Best,

Dale

Dale,

Unfortunately, that is true. To do the camera and color temp presets, you have to create a style. Load that style to a picture, then copy the adjustments to the other pictures.

They did promise for it to have the feature as in 3.7.9, and I also passed this on to Doug. Let's see what they do in the next minor update (hopefully soon).

Best,

Ray

Don Libby

I tried using C1 when I got my P30+ only to find several problems; I didn’t like the added workflow plus since my studio computer is 64bit I had to use DB and wasn’t sure what if anything I was missing. I kept at it for a couple months but in the end gave up and deleted the software. I downloaded 4.5 a couple days ago on my laptop and like what I see so far. I think I recall reading that 4.5 is 64bit compatible so will try it out on the “main frame”.

I’ve been a user of Photoshop for so long I can actually remember version 2 or 3…..

Back to 4.5 if it will work on my 64bit then I can see a major change in my future as far as workflow goes. Not too sure but this may have the potential at least for me of replacing Bridge of course I need to compare this to CS4 when I get it.

So how’s that for a confusing answer? Yes, I like it – I think……

don

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I will never use the skin tone adjustments since I do not photograph people.
Don:

My advice is to never say "never" :D Case in point on the skintone tool, as Doug said it is poorly named and it's potential use extends beyond skintones! You can select ANY color you want and add it to the skintone palette. So, you can select the perfect blue sky or the perfect green for an evergreen tree and use it like a WB dropper for those skies or evergreens :thumbs:

PeterA

1. Pretty ordinary experience so far as I am having difficulty activating my software.

2. Whilst scouring the FAQ sections of Phase One / Capture One site - I came across a nasty surprise - apparently I can only use the software on 2 machines. Hmmm I have 4 different desktops in 4 different locations as well as a laptop....

3. WHY the tiny little pee wee sized symbols which are really tab labels? Why is everything so TINY on the screen?

4. WHY the darth vader dark look? UGHHHHH

5. Cant comment on the actually processing Or tethered shooting..yet

6. I suspect that there is a LOT of functionality hidden behind a third rate GUI.

Mammy645

Don:

My advice is to never say "never" :D Case in point on the skintone tool, as Doug said it is poorly named and it's potential use extends beyond skintones! You can select ANY color you want and add it to the skintone palette. So, you can select the perfect blue sky or the perfect green for an evergreen tree and use it like a WB dropper for those skies or evergreens :thumbs:
The problem is it's just a WB tool, it changes all the colors in the photo to match that one color. If it changed just the one color I'd be impressed, now it's pretty useless IMO.

Digitalcameraman

1. Pretty ordinary experience so far as I am having difficulty activating my software.

2. Whilst scouring the FAQ sections of Phase One / Capture One site - I came across a nasty surprise - apparently I can only use the software on 2 machines. Hmmm I have 4 different desktops in 4 different locations as well as a laptop....

3. WHY the tiny little pee wee sized symbols which are really tab labels? Why is everything so TINY on the screen?

4. WHY the darth vader dark look? UGHHHHH

5. Cant comment on the actually processing Or tethered shooting..yet

6. I suspect that there is a LOT of functionality hidden behind a third rate GUI.

Peter:

The Pro version allows you to use both Phase One backs and many 35mm cameras with the software. The Pro versions only allows you to use this software on 2 computers at a time. It has been that way for 3 years now. Just like Photoshop and most other software.

If you want to run the software (3.7 or 4.5) on more than 2 computers and only want to work with Phase One cameras only, you should look at the CD that came with the Pro Version and you should also see a DB serial number. This DB version has a separate serial number that can be loaded on as many machines as you want to run it on.

I have large companies that have multiple P1 backs and they all use DB because they may run it on 10 machines without any extra charges. Contact your dealer and they can get a DB serial number issued free of charge.

When you want to move the serial number from an old machine to a new machine, P1 has implemented a method that allows you to terminate the serial number on one machine so it will allow you to regiter it on the new machine. Look under Capture One menu and you will see it.

If you need more than 2 machines and want to run Pro because you have also a need to support 35mm in your workflow, then your option would be to upgrade to a 5 user Product Key. Cost is $499.00

So ask yourself do I need to support 35mm cameras on all of my 4 machines? This will answer your question.

Chris Snipes
Image Productions, Inc
Phase One Expert

www.imageproduction.com
[email protected]

Phase One Test Studio Florida

One Problem
I have 4.5 installed
Windows XP, Service Pack 2 (I know it requires Service Pack 3)

All works fine EXCEPT there is no Histogram. I have the Histogram Window/Tab but there is no data/graphic.

I uninstalled previous version of 4 before installing 4.5.

Any Suggestions?
I am running it on Vista, and I also have no histogram. I am waiting for a reply from PhaseOne support.

--Mark

gogopix

Subscriber
Woody
understand, but maybe both Phase One and Adobe would benefit from wider input (no open betas for these)

If I have to do recipes to get back functions they TOOK AWAY, they are just not THINKING!!!

Whew, I don't think I have used the caps key this much in YEARS :D

See my comments on Photoshop CS4

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3728

Victor

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Recipe's are very simple. Just select all the parameters you want to process a file than plus sign. So for example you want to process a high res file 16 bit,Tif, at 150 percent with a Adobe 1998 RGB profile . So select all those parameters than hit the Plus sign and name that what you want say High Res. Than you also want a low res jpeg, SRGB, 70 percent than repeat that with the plus name that low res. Now if you want to process both at the same time just uncheck Show enabled than by each recipe check the box. Whatever box you check it will process those recipe's at once . This is very handy when you have to have several different types of files for clients but they all get the same corrections you made. This leaves out running actions in Photoshop after the fact. Very useful tool that I used a lot back when I was using Pro.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
The problem is it's just a WB tool, it changes all the colors in the photo to match that one color. If it changed just the one color I'd be impressed, now it's pretty useless IMO.
It is a WB tool, but so far as I know no other program will allow you to WB based on a selecting a known color OTHER than a grey card.

If you want to change one color you can do that as well using the Color Editor which allows both the alteration of a color and saving the resulting changes into an ICC profile for easier use in C1 Pro as well as use outside of the program (e.g. in Photoshop).

Doug Peterson, Head of Technical Services
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer
Personal Portfolio

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I am running it on Vista, and I also have no histogram. I am waiting for a reply from PhaseOne support.

--Mark
Mark - I learned that the quick fix is to use the Crop Tool and the Histogram magically appears! Try it. On my XP machine it works.

woodyspedden

Recipe's are very simple. Just select all the parameters you want to process a file than plus sign. So for example you want to process a high res file 16 bit,Tif, at 150 percent with a Adobe 1998 RGB profile . So select all those parameters than hit the Plus sign and name that what you want say High Res. Than you also want a low res jpeg, SRGB, 70 percent than repeat that with the plus name that low res. Now if you want to process both at the same time just uncheck Show enabled than by each recipe check the box. Whatever box you check it will process those recipe's at once . This is very handy when you have to have several different types of files for clients but they all get the same corrections you made. This leaves out running actions in Photoshop after the fact. Very useful tool that I used a lot back when I was using Pro.
guy

My problem is that there doesn't seem to be a processing tab. That is why I am hollering for help. I am sure that once I find it I will have no problems making changes

Woody

woodyspedden

O.K.

Operator impedance problem. Both the process and batch tabs were hidden. The clue was a double arrow at the far right side of the tabs area. I simply moved the arrows until the tabs appeared. Never saw this before but once known, no problem

Woody