The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

RZ67 ProIID backfocusing

itsskin

Hi!
My RZ67 Pro IID is backfocusing :( So, as I understand correctly, the focusing screen needs to be moved down. There are 3 screws under the screen and seems to serve the purpose. But I can not turn them. Should I disassemble the body, or with proper tool and more power it's possible to turn them?
Thx a lot!

Sheldon N

Hi!
My RZ67 Pro IID is backfocusing :( So, as I understand correctly, the focusing screen needs to be moved down. There are 3 screws under the screen and seems to serve the purpose. But I can not turn them. Should I disassemble the body, or with proper tool and more power it's possible to turn them?
Thx a lot!
Yes, the focusing screen needs to be moved down slightly to correct the backfocusing. I did the same thing for my RZ when I got a Brightscreen.

All you need to do is turn the screws under the focus screen to lower the screen slightly (righty-tighty). It doesn't take much, do it in increments of 1/4 or 1/2 turn at a time and take a test shot. Make sure you turn each of the three screws the same amount each time, since you don't want to introduce any skew/angle to the focus screen.

If you could find a tool for the screws that would be ideal. I couldn't so I ended up using a small pair of needlenose pliers. Not pretty, but it got the job done. :)

SergeiR

Hmm.. may be i ought to try it too. Every now and then i am getting front focus :( But i always assumed its just me

Sergei you should try indeed! Its not that hard especially if you tether. As for the tool, I just made one out of a paperclip :) Its also useful to have some small pliers to help rotate it at first, because it is almost stuck at the beginning but then gets smoother. Also keep in mind that it is best to adjust for focus in all corners. If the screen is crooked the center might be accurate but the edges not so much. Its a lot more work but you only need to do it once so I think it is worth it.

SergeiR

well me screen is not crooked ;) I have new one from bright folks. But every now and then i go nuts with focus, i got in habit of shooting set of images before sessions just to get feeling of focus back. However it could be just declining eyesight ;) But its a good idea neverless.. going to check. I have not realized those bolts are adjustable. But then problem is - i do shoot film with same body, so now i will be all worried ;)

Sheldon N

Yeah, after doing a bit of focus testing I realized that the most common source of focusing error was ME! Even when I'm careful and in a controlled environment, getting repeatable focus is a tough thing.

I shot a lot of series of test images and even used one of those printable focusing charts before I started making adjustments.

fotografz

If you are using the Waist Level Finder, make sure you have the correct diopter for your eye sight. If you are using the prism finder, the correct diopter and a flip magnifier works wonders.

Try doing a focusing test right on the screen with a loop to assure micro accuracy. Use the micro focus wheel on the RZ Bellows and when you get it right on, lock it with the lever-lock.

Hope this helps,

-Marc

Sheldon N

Try doing a focusing test right on the screen with a loop to assure micro accuracy. Use the micro focus wheel on the RZ Bellows and when you get it right on, lock it with the lever-lock.
+1

I did all my testing with a loupe for critical focusing.

itsskin

Problem fixed. Screws needed a little push.
Of course all test done with loupe and prism+magnifier, tethered.

Thx a lot for help!