The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Alpa HPF Ring on Cambo 72mm lens

sc_john

Has anyone been able to fit an Alpa HPF ring on Cambo Schneider APO_Digitar 72/5.6 L?

Thanks,

John

jlm

Workshop Member
yes, also modified the knobs for clearance, and it is a rodie, not a schneider, and is is T/S

trailshooter

So is the pitch of focus adjustment on the Rodie Cambo mount the same as the Alpa version? I.e. does the Alpa focus scale correlate properly?

sc_john

Having one of John's iPhone holders for my Cambo and experiencing his quality of work, I am sure the HPF ring fits the Rodie perfectly and works very well. However, I am questioning fit on Cambo Schneider 72L without modification. Thanks.

jlm

Workshop Member
I'm pretty sure the helicoid devices are mfg'd by the lens maker and not tweaked further by Alpa or Cambo. What Alpa seems to have done is mark out even degree spacings on all their rings and then engrave the calibrated distance at that degree of rotation. I went to the trouble of plotting out a degree vs distance graph just for kicks, for the 43Sk and the Rodie 72, and this is where Alpa has made a major contribution.

Of course, had Sk and Rodie simply added more points of reference to the original engraving...

sc_john

John,

Thanks for the info. The specific reason I am asking about Cambo Schneider 72L is that Alpa lists on their web site that the HPF ring fits the Alpa Schneider 72N. Dealer asked Alpa if ring would fit on 72L, and Alpa said no. I wouldn't think the L has a different diameter or length, but there could be a difference in the way the lens is mounted on the Cambo board vs Alpa board. Anyway, I wanted to see if anyone had tried it. The rings are a bit expensive to just buy and try.

Once again, the iPhone holder is terrific. Great job!!!

John

PeterL

I think this must be a typo on the Alpa page. Schneider only makes the Apo-Digitar 72/5.6 L - there is no such lens as a Apo-Digitar 72N as far as I know. And it is not listed on the Schneider site.

Cheers, -Peter

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I have a Super Angulon XL 5,6/72mm in ALPA Mount and also have a HPF Ring mounted . It is a LF lens and I used it already with my ARCA 4x5 . That ALPA combo works perfectly fine with my CFV-39 .