The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cambo WDS-1090 Compendium Hood

Don Libby

FedEx came and went about an hour ago and I wanted to share the following.

The hood is the WDS-1090
The hotshoe adaptor is WDS-1095

Lacking the WRS-1080 viewfinder attachment.

A very big thank-you to by buds at Capture Integration.

Don

JonMo

That looks realy good Don.

How well does it lock to the hot shoe? Solid and stable?

Not all of us have the AE Version like Guy. :)

Don Libby

That looks realy good Don.

How well does it lock to the hot shoe? Solid and stable?

Not all of us have the AE Version like Guy. :)
Agree! I have a old very used (2008) WRS...

The locking felt tight and sturdy. The length adjusting bars are short and therefore very sturdy as well. The collar slid right over the lens and stopped at the bumpers leaving enough room to reach in to work the dials and cock the shutter.

We leave for a return trip to Jackson Hole next week and plan a lengthy review on our blog once we return and will address the usage with my 35, 72 and 120 lens.

Never saw the prototype however what I've seen here is that the shade turns freely going from portrait to landscape, the hood stays open and the collar does not touch the lens only the bumpers. I also can't find a provision for a filter. The only thing missing is the upper adaptor to mount the viewfinder and am told that's coming soon.

It might be too soon to say this but will go out on limb and say this is worth every penny.

Don

This is the second greatest improvement to the WRS - the first being the wood grips.

JonMo

Ah yes; the wood grips:)
I have been contemplating them since I first saw you retrofit them to your camera!

Maybe this year.

I look forward to your review and have a great trip.

gazwas

Looks great Don but the million dollar question, does it improve images over not using a hood?

I'm thinking of the Arca hood for my camera so your findings in combination with Schneider lenses will be very interesting. IMO a hood is essential with all Rodenstock lenses as they flare spot very easily but not so sure with the Schneiders.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Now. ARCA RM2d/RM3d has a compendium solution .
Cambo has a very similar solution , which looks good .
It looks as if the cambo comdendium can even be used for the real wide angle lenses 28 and 35mm .
Who can answer this question ?
I wonder , if ALPA will present a similar comdendium as well . Any rumors ?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Now. ARCA RM2d/RM3d has a compendium solution .
Cambo has a very similar solution , which looks good .
It looks as if the cambo comdendium can even be used for the real wide angle lenses 28 and 35mm .
Who can answer this question ?
I wonder , if ALPA will present a similar comdendium as well . Any rumors ?
You can put the Cambo on any camera that has a hot shoe. Very adjustable to fit . I think the opening for lens is 105mm

jotloob

Subscriber Member
The WRS-1090 HOOD COMPENDIUM is not even listed at CALUMET here in Germany .

Please have a look to the picture . Is that height adjustable ?
And if so , for how many millimeters ? Is it uasable with the HR 28mm ?
And what is the price ?

Guy Mancuso

Yes I tried it with my HR 28 and it is vertically adjustable. BTW this is a brand new product. There is a thread I started that introduces this and the IPhone viewfinder

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Thanks Guy .
Yes , in those images the mechanics can be very well seen . Far better than on the CAMBO home page .

Guy Mancuso

I did suggest to them a knob on the vertical adjustment in front. Not sure they will do that though. But that was a prototype version I had so not sure what the final will be like .

Don Libby

I did suggest to them a knob on the vertical adjustment in front. Not sure they will do that though. But that was a prototype version I had so not sure what the final will be like .
Comparing my photos with yours it seems that there wasn't any changes made.

Don Libby

Jotloob, give me a little while and I'll see if I can get the measurements.

Anyone else want to see anything different?

Don

Don Libby

You can put the Cambo on any camera that has a hot shoe. Very adjustable to fit . I think the opening for lens is 105mm
Not quite - I did try to put it on my DF and failed because the rods are too short. I thing and flat faced body (tech camera) has a better shot.

Don

Don Libby

Looks great Don but the million dollar question, does it improve images over not using a hood?

I'm thinking of the Arca hood for my camera so your findings in combination with Schneider lenses will be very interesting. IMO a hood is essential with all Rodenstock lenses as they flare spot very easily but not so sure with the Schneiders.
Gareth, great question. I've got a week before leaving for Jackson Hole and hope to squeeze in at least one-day to try this out; otherwise it'll have to wait until I get into Jackson Hole. I really can't see it not helping.

I do see it slowing down the process some and making for a slightly altered workflow when changing lenses. Remove the hood then the lens replacing it with another lens replacing the hood and adjusting it to fit the lens. While not time consuming it will require remembering the steps.

I was reviewing a couple days worth of shooting from last year in Jackson and found several instances where this would have helped. You can't always hold a hat or hand in the correct position...

Don

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Thanks Don .

The question to use a hood or not is not up for me .
I generally use a hood , it just belongs to my workflow .
Shooting MFD is somewhat similar to shooting LF .
I just take the time I need and I do have fun with it .

Don Libby

Thanks Don .

The question to use a hood or not is not up for me .
I generally use a hood , it just belongs to my workflow .
Shooting MFD is somewhat similar to shooting LF .
I just take the time I need and I do have fun with it .
You're welcome Jürgen. While I really enjoy shooting medium format I totally love working with the WRS. Tech cameras might not be for everyone since it really isn't fast - it works for me.