The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

sensor displacement in casing

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Certainly with the D8 you can measure the angle and distance and it'll calculate the base distance for you. I believe the D5 will do that too.

dchew

Certainly with the D8 you can measure the angle and distance and it'll calculate the base distance for you. I believe the D5 will do that too.
Yeah the D5 has a trig mode that can directly read out the horizontal distance based on the angle of inclination. Again, all this seems crazy detail for normal situations, but in the context of Dan's original application (very close work), it can help.

My disto is on the fritz. It works 20% of the time, but I can't keep batteries in it because it gets a mind of its own, turning on by itself, then totally freezing up stuck on with the laser engaged. Very annoying! I sent it to Leica in Atlanta, but of course they got it during the 20% of the time it worked, so they returned it saying nothing was wrong. Ugh. The good news is I'm getting better at my distance estimates!

Dave

ondebanks

Looking at the back, there are a couple of mm distance before the protective glas, and then tilting it back and forth to see the underlaying sensor I estimate another 3-4mm to the actual sensor.
Dan, it's good that Alpa got back to you quickly with the proper overall distance.

Even if someone had correctly answered your question, as posed, that would not have solved your problem.

For your application, it would not be enough to add together the physical distances between the various components. One must know the optical path length. That requires taking into account the thicknesses and refractive indices of the IR-block filter and sensor cover glass. These values are not published by any DB manufacturer; so their combined effect would have to be found by experiment. Live View is the easiest way to conduct that experiment :grin:. But anyway, Alpa have bypassed the need for that experiment by giving you their diagram.

Ray