Site Sponsors

Thread: color wheel Question on Capt 4.5

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

color wheel Question on Capt 4.5

With the color editor part of 4.5, I would like to know how you would adjust the luminace of a selected color. In this case blue.

The simple way to me would be to grab the circle that appears once you click on a sample color and then drag it towards the darker blue, however on my system, I can't drag the circle.

Have I overlooked something? am I doing something wrong?

Thanks
    Paul Caldwell

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: color wheel Question on Capt 4.5

Mine neither but I think you select the color you like than work the saturation, lightness and such to make adjustments
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

sorry to say, adjustments were easier in 3.x

you brought in profile could edit and save
    you could share too
    it is how many of us played and made icc profiles for the M8 (I have a nice one, and now NEVER use a filter on my M8)

Victor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, thanks for the confirmation.

I hope this is something phase might consider changing in a new vr. From my testing, like with a sky, where I would like to only adjust blue luminace, you can't get there with just the sat slider. It's only going to increase the sat. of the existing shade of blue. To me being able to grab that small circle and pull it towards the darker parts of the blue would be a perfect solution.

So far everything else seems to work very well and from initial tests, image detail is much improved IMO over both Capture 3.7.8 and Capture 4.1 (windows).

Thanks
    Paul Caldwell

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Paul:

If you go to the advanced tab and click the + you can do the drag thing.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sure does and works damn nice too before and after
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Interesting it turns all other colors to B&W when working on a color in preview, which i think is a very cool idea.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Go strait to the Advanced tab. Skip the Basic tab. Do not pass go and do not collect $200.

Seriously though in the advanced tab you can select a specific shade and saturation of color, then refine the selection of that color along with the feathering (called "smoothness") into the adjoining colors. Use "show selected color range" to see what you've selected.

Then you can adjust hue, luminance, and saturation.

You can then keep the results as a set of instructions or save them as an ICC profile.

Everything from 3.7X color editor is there, and more. It's VERY good. We will have tons of great ways to use this coming in the next few days and weeks.

Doug Peterson, Head of Technical Services
    Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer
    Personal Portfolio

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes this is pretty slick for sure and does warrant more play time. Feel like a kid in a candy store , lot's of fun stuff.

Doug folks need help on this thread when you get a chance bud. thanks
    http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3687

GetDPI owes you a steak dinner except Lance is buying. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Interesting it turns all other colors to B&W when working on a color in preview, which i think is a very cool idea.
    Guy

It is a very cool idea indeed. However it only works when you select the "view selected color range" checkbox at the very bottom of the panel. I love this feature because it lets you see the trees and eliminates the rest of the forest!

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I still am having trouble. I can get to advanced and drag the color down to the darker blue and it shows up in the box below the editor and has all the RGB values, but I can't get it to apply to the actual image, the sky stays the same.

Again I am on Windows XP SP3 32 bit

What am I missing here?

Thanks
    Paul Caldwell

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post

What am I missing here?

Thanks
    Paul Caldwell
    Hey Paul,

You are using the color wheel to drag the center of the SELECTION. In other words you are adjusting what colors will be adjusted.

Instead, once you've made your selection simply use the sliders below the color circle to increase/decrease hue/sat/luminance.

What clued me off was the 0 0 0, 0 0 0, 0 0 0 values listed next to your selections.

Post your corrected file so we can all see your vision come alive. It's an EXCELLENT shot and a great opportunity to use this new Pro feature in C1.

Personal Portfolio

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hello Doug:

Thanks for the reply, and I would like to maybe hit you up maybe next week to make sure I have it right. I was able to get the image shown below, but I still can't get really much change in the blues. My recent experience has been with Lightroom and on this same image it's possible to really move the sky. However I may still be selecting something wrong. Is there a way to reach you off the forum? you can reach me at [email protected]

Note, the sky is showing a tad electric blue posted here, I was hoping to get it a bit darker.

Thanks
    Paul Caldwell
    Last edited by Paul2660; 16th October 2008 at 21:02.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    Hello Doug:

Thanks for the reply, and I would like to maybe hit you up maybe next week to make sure I have it right. I was able to get the image shown below, but I still can't get really much change in the blues. My recent experience has been with Lightroom and on this same image it's possible to really move the sky. However I may still be selecting something wrong. Is there a way to reach you off the forum? you can reach me at [email protected]

Thanks
    Paul Caldwell
    Hey Paul,

All you need to do is click, make the adjustment and then click again, make another adjustment and repeat as needed. The reason is pretty simple: if they allowed for a -100 luminance adjustment on that very small slider then it would be very hard to make the sorts of subtle normal changes that most photographers want. This doesn't stop you from making VERY dramatic changes if that's what you want to do however, as you can "stack" changed on top of each other.

Personal Portfolio