The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Trigger DF from Computer

Ben Rubinstein

Hi,

Is there any solution to trigger a DF from a computer WITHOUT using tethering of the back? I've got a problem shooting tethered where I trigger from the computer (camera and back lock up every 20-30 shots, got a support case running with P1) but the camera doesn't lock up when triggered via a remote release and tethered shooting works like that perfectly. If I can shoot from some kind of program to just trigger the camera via the remote release socket then I think it would solve the problem. We are using a foot pedal to trigger the camera at present, we don't have enough hands free for a remote release. I can have the foot pedal wired up to a remote socket by cutting and splicing I suppose, I might have to eventhough it will be complicated.

I've already lost 2 days of shooting, Leafs only answer at the moment is a specific FW 800 card for my computer which of course isn't available outside the US and certainly not here. Would take a fortnight to get here even if it is the correct solution. I cannot afford many more lost days.

Ben Rubinstein

Ha! I knew I had a copy of Leaf Capture for windows, they have long disappeared from the Leaf website, question is if it works on Windows 7 64 bit. Yair has told me that the current one won't however I have an older version. Suppose only one way to find out. Shame it has to wait till I get to work tomorrow. :(

Assume it won't though.

Last edited:

gazwas

Ben, while its not a solution, do you know any friends with a Mac that you can hook up to the DF/Aptus to rule out any camera issue rather than waiting for a new card to arrive and find it doesn't fix the problem.

Ben Rubinstein

No not really to be honest. Not much in the way of macs in this country. If I don't have an answer by tomorrow I'm going to request the dealer to come with a 2nd body and a macbook to do some indepth testing immediately.

Ben Rubinstein

Been on FB chat with Yair for an hour or more, he really works hard to troubleshoot and help out. The older LC doesn't work with the model back I have worse luck but we'll solve it eventually!

gazwas

I feel your frustration Ben.

I remember in the early years of digital capture, I was employed by a studio for my digital knowledge. Did all the research and settled on the then just released Lightphase back impressing my new employer with how I had brought the studio to the forefront of capture technology in their area.

After spending a small fortune on the kit and computer, plus many £££ on digital proofs, every shot looked flat and washed out compared to the 6x7 transparencies we shot along side. Coupled to the fact every customer we tried to sell the technology to just didn't get it and wanted something physical after paying so much money for a photograph. I think the camera just sat staring at my employer for four months before people started to catch on to its benefits. Needless to say, I felt like a complete failure that I had convinced this relatively small studio to spend all this money of a duff bit of kit.

Like my situation, all came good in the end and I'm positive your problems will soon be forgotten and your employer singing your praises at the great work you are doing.

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Why dont you just use something like a pocket wizard to remotely trigger the DF?
They make an adapter cable that goes into the mf port to a mini jack on the transceiver....

Lance

Ben Rubinstein

Lance, that might well be a very good suggestion, does PW make a 3.5 to mamiya cable? That would save us hacking a remote cable to pieces. I can just wire the pedal straight into the mamiya cable using an adaptor.

Gareth, thanks for the encouragement. Appreciate it!

Ben Rubinstein

OK here is the cable: PocketWizard® - Cables and Accessories

Not sure of what the 'wake up' part is for,whether it is needed (there is a non wake up cable for mamiya) and whether it would be possible to wire this using a female 3.5 mono socket? I'm not an engineer I'm afraid. Can you Mamiya gurus help me? how does it work with a pocket wizard? thanks!