Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Digital Transitions Visualizer - Lens Equivalency Made Easy

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Digital Transitions Visualizer - Lens Equivalency Made Easy

Announcing "Visualizer"
    Digital Transitions is pleased to announce a public beta or our new "Visualizer". This free web app helps answer questions like "I use a 24mm lens on my 5DIII, what lens is similar when using an IQ180?"

Click Here for Digital Transitions Visualizer

We'd Love Your Feedback!
    This is a beta version and we are very eager for real world feedback and bug reports. You can leave them right here in this thread or if you wish to have more privacy you can email them to ([email protected]) or use the built-in [Feedback / Questions] button in the Web App (upper right corner).

Current Widest Lens Allowed
    In the Beta the widest lens allowed is the equivalent of a 18mm on a FF dSLR. Before the final launch next month we will allow for up to the equivalent of 14mm on a FF dSLR.

Unique Features
    Many such tools already exist. Here is why the Digital Transitions Visualizer is unique:
    - Free and Does Not Require Download. Other tools (e.g. iPhone Apps) require download to computer
    - Does not require any 3rd Party Apps. Other tools require applications like Excel to open.
    - Medium/Large Format Friendly. Includes names of digital backs rather than sensor sizes (e.g. "36mm x 48mm") which are confusing to those new to MFDB.
    - Easy to Link to. Questions can be answered on forums simply by linking to this web app.
    - Mobile and Desktop Friendly. Other tools are mobile only or only work well on desktops.
    - Uses an Actual Photograph. What a concept right? Rather than rely only on numbers the app shows you what a certain combo looks like.
    - Uses Common Photographic Terms. Visual cues show "wide", "normal", and "long" ranges rather than numerical AOV.
    - Flexible. By default the lenses will be matched automatically by diagonal AOV. But click "Auto Match Lenses" and you can manually tweak each lens. This allows the user to easily and intuitively see width or height rather than diagonal AOV, or to select specific lenses rather than theoretical lengths.

Known Issues
    - "Submit" button for feedback is sometimes slightly outside the white "paper"
    - When simulating "very long" lenses the quality of the preview is not great. We hope to improve this modestly without sacrificing load-time.
    - Pushing the back button in the browser may result in a strange bug where the window is doubled up

Successfully Tested On
    - Chrome 18.0 / OSX 10.7.3
    - Safari 5.1 / OSX 10.7.3
    - Firefox 11.0 / OSX 10.7.3
    - iPhone 4s / iOS 5.1.1

Failed Testing On
    - iPad 1

Not Yet Tested On
    - iPad 2 or iPad 3
    - iPhone 3, 3g, 4
    - Android
    - Any browser on Windows

Already Planned Future Improvements
    - a help/intro screen which provides basic instructions to help first time users
    - inclusion of Leica S2 and M9 cameras
    - a Print Size feature which compares the size of prints from the two systems at a given resolution.
    - other major features we won't discuss until they are closer to being ready

If you have additional ideas for improvements we can make, other cameras we should list (e.g. 4/3rds cameras? iPhone?), or other ideas please let us know! You can leave your feedback on this thread and I promise we will read it!

Registration Page
    - When you first launch the app it will ask for your information in exchange for your free use of the app. It only asks for this once, and remembers you after that (no need for a username/password).
    Last edited by dougpeterson; 9th May 2012 at 07:53.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Digital Transitions Visualizer - Lens Equivalency Made Easy

Here are two screen grabs so you know what it should look like after you've logged in to the Digital Transitions Visualizer.

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That photo looks familiar. Didn't Bob show that in the technical camera image forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Spring is here, and my new toy arrived.
    First shoot about town with the 28mm Rodenstock HR Digeron-S with the IQ180.
    Despite the specs, I was able to add 5mm rise as well as about 1.25 degree of tilt.
    It was very breezy and although I waited for relative calm, I can see some motion blur in the flowers. This was shot with my back against the road

-bob
    Yep!
    --Matt

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MGrayson View Post
    That photo looks familiar. Didn't Bob show that in the technical camera image forum? Yep!
    --Matt
    Absolutely! The image is used with Bob's permission and is credited in the bottom right.

We'll likely capture our own super-wide image specifically for this web app (at 14mm on dSLR), but Bob's was really ideal to use in the meanwhile since it was quite wide, and includes a subject dead-center which is of a understandable size (everyone knows about how large a door is, as compared to e.g. an ambiguous bolder).

In fact it's so ideal we would be licensing it from him long-term if it weren't for the pesky fact it's a 28mm on a digital back, and we want the slider to be able go even wider.

Thanks again Bob!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I guess my only complaint is it is that you are collecting my contact information to add to your mailing list. I have plenty of junk mail as it is. This will simply stop me from using it--personally, not a big deal as calculating AFOV is easy. But if your intent is to increase traffic to your site, there are folks that will not fill out that information for exactly the same reason.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Always a hard balance regarding contact info. Hard to justify a LOT of time to program such a tool without asking for something in return.

And as you say if AFOV is easy for you then the tool isn't of much value anyway (though future features may well be appealing for you). This is more for someone for whom such calculations are not arbitrarily easy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post
    Absolutely! The image is used with Bob's permission and is credited in the bottom right.

We'll likely capture our own super-wide image specifically for this web app (at 14mm on dSLR), but Bob's was really ideal to use in the meanwhile since it was quite wide, and includes a subject dead-center which is of a understandable size (everyone knows about how large a door is, as compared to e.g. an ambiguous bolder).

In fact it's so ideal we would be licensing it from him long-term if it weren't for the pesky fact it's a 28mm on a digital back, and we want the slider to be able go even wider.

Thanks again Bob!
    If you have a 23 I could borrow... LOL
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

While I appreciate your personal efforts, I see this as a marketing tool for your database--Some of us tire of these veils. Good luck to you Doug.

Edit:

Dear Doug,

I ALWAYS read whatever technical data you share as I feel you are one on-top of the game here, but I am the type of buyer that avoids all the marketing hoopla. I see it as bait and switch and it simply turns me off. What was nice about buying from Paul at Optechs, was knowing that he contributed freely without collecting data to the MF community through technical videos. If you were one of his customers, his email and telephone support was outstanding; the same I feel for Rod Klukas.

With all the technical expertise you have, I feel you could be a huge donor to the MF community if you posted technical videos, articles, etc. that did not require consumer information. I sincerely believe in the long run, you would leave your competition behind and rise to the top. As a buyer, I would feel I purchased from the best source when comparing you to others. I am currently waiting for used from owners because I do not feel like talking to a salesperson.

Kind regards,
    Darr
    Last edited by darr; 9th May 2012 at 08:50. Reason: Dear Doug
    "Creativity takes courage." ~ Henri Matisse
    Darlene Almeda, photoscapes.com
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks again Bob!
    Serves me right for not reading the fine print. I also suggested you add the Leica S2 before reading that you already mentioned that in the ToDo list.

Post First Read Later

Darr, I agree about mailing lists, but I was already in their database, as I got a Capture One discount code from DT, so I took a look.

--Matt
    Last edited by MGrayson; 9th May 2012 at 08:59.

Post Thanks / Like

Understandable Matt, sometimes discounts are a good thing.

Wouldn't it be nice to pay a membership here and then have all the venders send us discount coupons instead of trolling through our inbox? I do have a budget for country club memberships!
    "Creativity takes courage." ~ Henri Matisse
    Darlene Almeda, photoscapes.com

Post Thanks / Like

I'm now in the database.

Nothing appears within the white areas using IE8.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Always a hard balance regarding contact info. Hard to justify a LOT of time to program such a tool without asking for something in return.
    It is called "goodwill." Many companies give things away in hopes that it will promote them and attract customers. And what did the contributing photographers receive? I hope it is more than "promotion."

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
    I'm now in the database.

Nothing appears within the white areas using IE8.
    [email protected]!^#ing IE.

Thanks for testing it. We'll make sure IE8 is working before we take it out of Beta. If you've ever done any web work you know IE is, shall we say "challenging".

Post Thanks / Like

Feedback: I just don't know how useful such an app is. I think most mfd users know the closest (not necessarily equivalent) lens in their dslr kit. That's one of the first things you learn when going to mfd or you think about if you change your mf camera.

Off topic a bit, but iPhone app I do use a good deal (Simple DoF) is one that lets me check my depth of field with mfd lenses on a specific camera and I can swipe a finger and check the dof with my dslr. That's useful because I use it frequently. Your app might be used once.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I closed the link just as soon as I saw I had to register. Thanks but no thanks.
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    It is called "goodwill." Many companies give things away in hopes that it will promote them and attract customers. And what did the contributing photographers receive? I hope it is more than "promotion."
    Indeed the photographer and DT came to a mutually agreeable compensation. I sent him an advance copy of the tool so he would know how it was being used.

And like I said, it's a hard balance. Giving away something for nothing is a legitimate business model and we (DT) do that in a variety of ways. Notably I spend several hours every week on various forums and via my company and personal email replying to people with problems or questions under that philosophy; some of the time I'm posting to inform on a commercial service or product we offer that would solve the issue (I never try to hide my bias in that regard); but often I'm posting something that in no possible way could generate revenue for us - just goodwill. I've saved literally dozens of shoots by calls to my cell which I answer with the mentality of "solve the problem first (if possible) ask questions later". Again, goodwill.

But the something-for-contactInfo model is something you see a lot on the internet. I don't think there is any veil in that regard. If you're strongly adverse to it you can always enter Joe Schmoe and the North Pole.

In any case your feedback on it (regarding the info form) is valuable and greatly appreciated. It's a beta and we'll take it into strong consideration.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by David Schneider View Post
    Feedback: I just don't know how useful such an app is. I think most mfd users know the closest (not necessarily equivalent) lens in their dslr kit. That's one of the first things you learn when going to mfd or you think about if you change your mf camera.
    Well that's rather the point though no?

"That's one of the first things you learn when going to mfd or you think about if you change your mf camera." - I think this makes an improvement over the existing tools or ways in which someone might first learn that. It's one of the absolute most common questions I receive early in someone's consideration of a platform change, and that's not limited to Medium Format; I see the question pop up regarding Nikon/Canon crop cameras and 4/3rd cameras on their respective forums frequently.

Once you've had a few weeks/months with such a camera system a tool like this isn't needed.

Post Thanks / Like

[email protected]!^#ing IE.

Thanks for testing it. We'll make sure IE8 is working before we take it out of Beta. If you've ever done any web work you know IE is, shall we say "challenging".
    I cheated, I designed and built my website for [email protected]!^#ing IE.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I need a Walletizer so I can watch it grow and shrink as I put lenses I want in it.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Perhaps we should make the lens slider a bit harder to slide as you get towards the 32HR and 23HR lengths?
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Or flashing dollar signs would be really helpful. LOL

I'm already there with the Rodie 28HR ouch does that just freaking stink ya. let me tell ya
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Doug, this is a neat tool. Thank you.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Well that's rather the point though no?

"That's one of the first things you learn when going to mfd or you think about if you change your mf camera." - I think this makes an improvement over the existing tools or ways in which someone might first learn that. It's one of the absolute most common questions I receive early in someone's consideration of a platform change, and that's not limited to Medium Format; I see the question pop up regarding Nikon/Canon crop cameras and 4/3rd cameras on their respective forums frequently.

Once you've had a few weeks/months with such a camera system a tool like this isn't needed.

Doug,

I understand what you're saying. However, if someone is using a 150mm lens with their mfd, and in their dslr kit they have a 50, 85, 200, for example, I think they will understand the 85 is the closest equivalent. It's not going to make much of a difference if the real equivalent is 95mm or whatever.

However, I yield to your experience with getting those kind of questions. You would know better than I.

Post Thanks / Like

I love the tool, very handy indeed! Thanks a lot!

Just two quick questions:
    - the comparison is based on image diagonals, could you add an option to change this to image width or height? (this would be useful when comparing e.g. 4x5" to 35mm)
    - when choosing film sizes, e.g. 4x5", do you actually use 4x5" as the measurement, or do you take into account the smaller size of the mask of most film scanners/enlargers? (my personal experience is, for example, that a 90mm on 4x5" is more like 36mm on 36x48, rather than the 33mm your tool suggests)

best,

geb

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You've got my contact details now Doug! A very handy tool!

If people think DT's emails are junk then I think they've chosen the wrong profession/ hobby :-)
    Last edited by yaya; 10th May 2012 at 07:37.
    Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One | Mamiya Leaf
    e: [email protected] | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 | yaya's blog

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gebseng View Post
    I love the tool, very handy indeed! Thanks a lot!
    You're very welcome! Thanks for taking the time to provide some feedback.

Just two quick questions:
    - the comparison is based on image diagonals, could you add an option to change this to image width or height? (this would be useful when comparing e.g. 4x5" to 35mm)
    If you uncheck the "auto match lenses" you can slide them independently. That will let you match either the horizontal, or vertical. Is there a different phrase we should be using for "auto match lenses" that would make it more clear what this function does?

When choosing film sizes, e.g. 4x5", do you actually use 4x5" as the measurement, or do you take into account the smaller size of the mask of most film scanners/enlargers? (my personal experience is, for example, that a 90mm on 4x5" is more like 36mm on 36x48, rather than the 33mm your tool suggests)
    Excellent question. Actually for 645 we did account for the film gate but on the rest of the film sizes we did not. I'll dig through my reference materials and see if I can come up with a good set of numbers for all the film formats.

Moreover it should be transparent somehow to the user exactly what mm size we are using for any given format, but not in a way that is intrusive or adds visual business. Most novice users won't know or care if the exposed area of film on a typical 645 body was 45mm or 42mm tall, but some more expert users will want to know what the "assumptions" of the calculator are and there shouldn't be any "man behind the curtain" in that regard. I've already received a great suggestion from someone that when you hover over a format in the selection dialogue that the size pops up (next to it? as a "tool tip"? don't know yet).

Post Thanks / Like

Did give it a try on my iPhone 3Gs.
    It is running well.
    Two remarks: when changing the focal length I have to put my finger on the focal length indicator and cannot see the displayed focal for the medium format. It should be better to have a slider below both displayed focals instead of using the displayed focals as sliders.
    The resulting frame from the chosen focal length is show on Bob's picture by adapting the picture frame. It should be nice also to have a second picture that stays at the widest focal and with frame contours of the (longer) chosen focal inside it (like Viewfinder pro app does for iPhone).
    Best
    I hope this makes sense, I just did a quick trial of this visualizer

Post Thanks / Like

I am finding the tool does work on an iPad 1 (w/ iOS 5) contrary to what the 'Known Issues 'statement says. Am I missing some functionality?

Here's what I'd like to see added, even though it exists elsewhere: DOF and hyperfocal dist. calculation/comparison. Combining these would make the tool much more useful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Doug,
    Are you going to add other backs besides the IQ 180?
    BTW, I guess I have been out of the loop for a while, when did you go over to DT from Capture Int? Are you living in NYC now?

Steven
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 2jbourret View Post
    I am finding the tool does work on an iPad 1 (w/ iOS 5) contrary to what the 'Known Issues 'statement says. Am I missing some functionality?

Here's what I'd like to see added, even though it exists elsewhere: DOF and hyperfocal dist. calculation/comparison. Combining these would make the tool much more useful.
    The iPad 1 issues may have been specific to our iPad as I've now received several reports of it working fine with the iPad 1. But they were not evident right away; the tool worked great for a while and then would lock up after a minute or two of use.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to post!

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kuau View Post
    Doug,
    Are you going to add other backs besides the IQ 180?
    BTW, I guess I have been out of the loop for a while, when did you go over to DT from Capture Int? Are you living in NYC now?

Steven
    If you click on the button with the name "IQ180" you can select from many different backs.

I'm working on ways to make it more obvious that you can click there. I don't claim that programming user interfaces is my #1 skill .

I resigned from CI in early March (and wish them well - great folks). I am living in Boston this month and move to NYC full time July 1. I'm very excited to be part of the team at DT!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congrats Doug on your new job. I'm sure you will have a blast in NYC,
    I lived there for 2 years back in 1982
    Steven
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kuau View Post
    Congrats Doug on your new job. I'm sure you will have a blast in NYC,
    I lived there for 2 years back in 1982
    Steven
    You lived two years in one year? Then NYC is everything I've heard it is :-).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've certainly aged two years for every year I've lived here...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

82-83 almost 2 years.....
    Though IMHO after revisiting NYC about 5 years ago, they killed it.
    It's now like Disneyland. No more edge, no more times square like it use to be in the early 80's, no more smelly subway..

Doug, BTW, the app works great, though the only hassle is having to re register every time you use it.

Looking forward to my first cold call from the sales department... just kidding, excellent job you did, now I know what focal length I am using.....

Steven
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, Doug, congratulations on your new digs. Wow, I go head-down for a bit and come back to all sorts of change.

Re. IE 8 compatibility of your web app: I didn't try it, but I can REALLY sympathize. Internet Explorer 8 is a slight improvement over previous versions, but is (was) still a terrible browser with regard to W3C compliance and other Web standards. We build websites and applications to valid standards and then tweak to accommodate IE. That doesn't mean we must always use "IE hacks", but it does mean we must understand the landscape and hold back in terms of design and development thanks to MS's crappy, sub-standard browser; or shuttle IE users off to alternate installations with feature-restricted experiences. Thankfully, IE 10 is looking much better. Even more thankfully, IE has now fallen behind Chrome as the number one browser (31.9% vs 32.8% respectively). I don't like Chrome, personally, but a browser which respects web standards so that all can access information and receive the same rich visual experience is the appropriate goal. </rant>

Good luck in NYC and at DT.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

We have updated our public beta of the visualizer with several improvements, most of which were suggested here or on LL. Any additional feedback is welcome, either here or in person at our Phase One Photo Plus Expo booth next week.

Link:
    Phase One & Mamiya/Leaf Digital Solutions - Visualizer

Fixes/Improvements:
    - Can now show equivalency down to 14mm on a FF dSLR
    - Added options to match lens by Vertical, Horizontal, and Focal Length in addition to the Diagonal. These update in real time as you slide. You can also turn lens matching "off" which allows you to slide them independently.
    - Should run correctly in IE9
    - Several sensors/cameras added including:
    --- M8/M9 (thanks Dr. Scates)
    --- 6x17, 5x7, and 6x9 film
    - Size of each film format now reflects the most common exposed-area for that film. (gebseng a 90mm on 4x5 now correctly shows as equivalent diagonally to a 36mm on a 36x48 sensor)
    - registration no longer considers Canada to be part of the US (no insult intended Canadian friends!)
    - fixed math error which caused wrong results when the two sensors being compared were of very different aspect ratios

Requested feedback:
    - anyone have IE8 they can try it in?
    - anyone have IE10 preview?
    - does the "Auto Match Lens:" wording make sense with the boxes "off", "vertical" etc?

Did not get to:
    I was not able to find a way to easily implement a custom sensor size. In the future (early next year?) I hope to add a clever way of showing the specific measurement of the sensor/film selected - just have to close the development for now.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice, Doug. Even works on an iPad.

And with the Opera browser.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

We're pleased to release an update to our Digital Transitions Visualizers:
    - No more "info wall" (a.k.a. registration screen) required. Free and open to all.
    - Additional film formats and new IQ2 series backs
    - Streamlined user interface
    - Smoother scrolling
    - New Image Circle Visualizer

The new image circle visualizer does not seem to work in Internet Explorer. I'm working on that, but for now use a Mac or Chrome on Windows instead.

Feedback on either tool is very welcome. You can post here or email [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Great tools! A horizon/crosshair would be nice in the image circle tool. Standard setup for me is a level camera (to get upright rendered trees/buildings) and then shift to place the horizon in the image. Portrait orientation would be nice to have too. edit: found portrait orientation

For example being able to shift down so much that the horizon is on the top 1/3 when in portrait orientation is something I like to be possible.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by torger View Post
    For example being able to shift down so much that the horizon is on the top 1/3 when in portrait orientation is something I like to be possible.
    A horizon line is a good idea and (should be) pretty easy to add.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Announcing "Visualizer"
    Digital Transitions is pleased to announce a public beta ...

Unique Features
    - Free and Does Not Require Download. Other tools (e.g. iPhone Apps) require download to computer
    - Does not require any 3rd Party Apps. Other tools require applications like Excel to open.
    - Medium/Large Format Friendly. Includes names of digital backs rather than sensor sizes (e.g. "36mm x 48mm") which are confusing to those new to MFDB.
    - Easy to Link to. Questions can be answered on forums simply by linking to this web app.

Successfully Tested On
    - Chrome 18.0 / OSX 10.7.3
    - Safari 5.1 / OSX 10.7.3
    - Firefox 11.0 / OSX 10.7.3
    - iPhone 4s / iOS 5.1.1

Failed Testing On
    - iPad 1

Not Yet Tested On
    - iPad 2 or iPad 3
    - iPhone 3, 3g, 4
    - Android
    - Any browser on Windows
    Works fine in Safari 6.0.5 on OS X "Mountain Lion".
    Also in Safari on iOS 6.1.3 on iPad mini and iPad 2.

Not sure if "does not require download" is really an advantage. It's great if I'm in a WiFi connected zone, but if I'm a landscape photographer in the field there is a great likelihood that I wouldn't have WiFi or cellular data available.

Of course it does require an external app to run ... a web browser of some kind. Safari comes with OS X and iOS. Sorry for the nit pick. ;-)

I'm also not sure about calling out sensor format by product names. I'd like the option to see both a product name and the sensor format.

It's an interesting tool, if something that you're going to use a couple of times and then forget about. I like your implementation. By and large, though, I think most users have some specific number of lenses in their MF kit that they'll be using because they either don't want to or cannot afford to change them ... so what they're "equivalent" to is of minor importance other than the once in a while 'what if' experiment.

I used my yahoo.com email address*in the registration as I have no interest in collecting more spam. I maintain the yahoo.com account purely as a spam catcher: every so often I just go there, select all, and delete.

G

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Works fine in Safari 6.0.5 on OS X "Mountain Lion".
    Also in Safari on iOS 6.1.3 on iPad mini and iPad 2.

Not sure if "does not require download" is really an advantage. It's great if I'm in a WiFi connected zone, but if I'm a landscape photographer in the field there is a great likelihood that I wouldn't have WiFi or cellular data available.

Of course it does require an external app to run ... a web browser of some kind. Safari comes with OS X and iOS. Sorry for the nit pick. ;-)

I'm also not sure about calling out sensor format by product names. I'd like the option to see both a product name and the sensor format.

It's an interesting tool, if something that you're going to use a couple of times and then forget about. I like your implementation. By and large, though, I think most users have some specific number of lenses in their MF kit that they'll be using because they either don't want to or cannot afford to change them ... so what they're "equivalent" to is of minor importance other than the once in a while 'what if' experiment.

I used my yahoo.com email address*in the registration as I have no interest in collecting more spam. I maintain the yahoo.com account purely as a spam catcher: every so often I just go there, select all, and delete.
    I think you used the link at the start of this thread and not the new version here:
    http://www.digitaltransitions.com/pa...ra-visualizers

Post Thanks / Like

Woah.

That new image circle visualizer is very cool, and extremely useful, Doug.

Great work!

Post Thanks / Like

What would be really great would be if the two tools could somehow be combined into one.

I'd love to be able to select two lenses, for example the Rodie 23 and 32, and be able to see the image circles on an actual photo, with the sensor overlaid with a toggle for either lens.

Make sense?

What I'm trying to get at, is to be able to visualize how a lens such as the 23, that can't really be shifted on FF, compares to the 32, which - whist having a narrower FoV - may actually be a more appropriate lens for the job because it can be shifted.

Regards,

Gerald.

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for a downloadable app Doug. I'd pay for it.

The most use I would have is out on location whre Wifi is not available. If I had it on location, I'd use it a lot!

Post Thanks / Like

(Btw, you have two 32HR's - presumably the second should be the 40, and you're also missing the 50)

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gerald.d View Post
    What would be really great would be if the two tools could somehow be combined into one.

I'd love to be able to select two lenses, for example the Rodie 23 and 32, and be able to see the image circles on an actual photo, with the sensor overlaid with a toggle for either lens.

Make sense?

What I'm trying to get at, is to be able to visualize how a lens such as the 23, that can't really be shifted on FF, compares to the 32, which - whist having a narrower FoV - may actually be a more appropriate lens for the job because it can be shifted.

Regards,

Gerald.
    I have the same hope. Hopefully something I can get done in the next quarter or two. It would be a great tool for our tech camera customers.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gerald.d View Post
    (Btw, you have two 32HR's - presumably the second should be the 40, and you're also missing the 50)
    Oops!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's a nice tool, easy to use. I would however, like to be able to specify the shift if possible. If this can be done already, I've missed it :-(. Thanks for making this available.

Cheers, -Peter