The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Digital Transitions Visualizer - Lens Equivalency Made Easy

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Announcing "Visualizer"
Digital Transitions is pleased to announce a public beta or our new "Visualizer". This free web app helps answer questions like "I use a 24mm lens on my 5DIII, what lens is similar when using an IQ180?"

Click Here for Digital Transitions Visualizer

We'd Love Your Feedback!
This is a beta version and we are very eager for real world feedback and bug reports. You can leave them right here in this thread or if you wish to have more privacy you can email them to ([email protected]) or use the built-in [Feedback / Questions] button in the Web App (upper right corner).

Current Widest Lens Allowed
In the Beta the widest lens allowed is the equivalent of a 18mm on a FF dSLR. Before the final launch next month we will allow for up to the equivalent of 14mm on a FF dSLR.

Unique Features
Many such tools already exist. Here is why the Digital Transitions Visualizer is unique:
- Free and Does Not Require Download. Other tools (e.g. iPhone Apps) require download to computer
- Does not require any 3rd Party Apps. Other tools require applications like Excel to open.
- Medium/Large Format Friendly. Includes names of digital backs rather than sensor sizes (e.g. "36mm x 48mm") which are confusing to those new to MFDB.
- Easy to Link to. Questions can be answered on forums simply by linking to this web app.
- Mobile and Desktop Friendly. Other tools are mobile only or only work well on desktops.
- Uses an Actual Photograph. What a concept right? Rather than rely only on numbers the app shows you what a certain combo looks like.
- Uses Common Photographic Terms. Visual cues show "wide", "normal", and "long" ranges rather than numerical AOV.
- Flexible. By default the lenses will be matched automatically by diagonal AOV. But click "Auto Match Lenses" and you can manually tweak each lens. This allows the user to easily and intuitively see width or height rather than diagonal AOV, or to select specific lenses rather than theoretical lengths.

Known Issues
- "Submit" button for feedback is sometimes slightly outside the white "paper"
- When simulating "very long" lenses the quality of the preview is not great. We hope to improve this modestly without sacrificing load-time.
- Pushing the back button in the browser may result in a strange bug where the window is doubled up

Successfully Tested On
- Chrome 18.0 / OSX 10.7.3
- Safari 5.1 / OSX 10.7.3
- Firefox 11.0 / OSX 10.7.3
- iPhone 4s / iOS 5.1.1

Failed Testing On
- iPad 1

Not Yet Tested On
- iPad 2 or iPad 3
- iPhone 3, 3g, 4
- Android
- Any browser on Windows

Already Planned Future Improvements
- a help/intro screen which provides basic instructions to help first time users
- inclusion of Leica S2 and M9 cameras
- a Print Size feature which compares the size of prints from the two systems at a given resolution.
- other major features we won't discuss until they are closer to being ready

If you have additional ideas for improvements we can make, other cameras we should list (e.g. 4/3rds cameras? iPhone?), or other ideas please let us know! You can leave your feedback on this thread and I promise we will read it!

Registration Page
- When you first launch the app it will ask for your information in exchange for your free use of the app. It only asks for this once, and remembers you after that (no need for a username/password).

Last edited:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
That photo looks familiar. Didn't Bob show that in the technical camera image forum?
Spring is here, and my new toy arrived.
First shoot about town with the 28mm Rodenstock HR Digeron-S with the IQ180.
Despite the specs, I was able to add 5mm rise as well as about 1.25 degree of tilt.
It was very breezy and although I waited for relative calm, I can see some motion blur in the flowers. This was shot with my back against the road :ROTFL:

-bob
Yep!
--Matt

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
That photo looks familiar. Didn't Bob show that in the technical camera image forum? Yep!
--Matt
Absolutely! The image is used with Bob's permission and is credited in the bottom right.

We'll likely capture our own super-wide image specifically for this web app (at 14mm on dSLR), but Bob's was really ideal to use in the meanwhile since it was quite wide, and includes a subject dead-center which is of a understandable size (everyone knows about how large a door is, as compared to e.g. an ambiguous bolder).

In fact it's so ideal we would be licensing it from him long-term if it weren't for the pesky fact it's a 28mm on a digital back, and we want the slider to be able go even wider.

Thanks again Bob!

Shashin

I guess my only complaint is it is that you are collecting my contact information to add to your mailing list. I have plenty of junk mail as it is. This will simply stop me from using it--personally, not a big deal as calculating AFOV is easy. But if your intent is to increase traffic to your site, there are folks that will not fill out that information for exactly the same reason.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Always a hard balance regarding contact info. Hard to justify a LOT of time to program such a tool without asking for something in return.

And as you say if AFOV is easy for you then the tool isn't of much value anyway (though future features may well be appealing for you). This is more for someone for whom such calculations are not arbitrarily easy.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Absolutely! The image is used with Bob's permission and is credited in the bottom right.

We'll likely capture our own super-wide image specifically for this web app (at 14mm on dSLR), but Bob's was really ideal to use in the meanwhile since it was quite wide, and includes a subject dead-center which is of a understandable size (everyone knows about how large a door is, as compared to e.g. an ambiguous bolder).

In fact it's so ideal we would be licensing it from him long-term if it weren't for the pesky fact it's a 28mm on a digital back, and we want the slider to be able go even wider.

Thanks again Bob!
If you have a 23 I could borrow... LOL
-bob

darr

While I appreciate your personal efforts, I see this as a marketing tool for your database--Some of us tire of these veils. Good luck to you Doug.

Edit:

Dear Doug,

I ALWAYS read whatever technical data you share as I feel you are one on-top of the game here, but I am the type of buyer that avoids all the marketing hoopla. I see it as bait and switch and it simply turns me off. What was nice about buying from Paul at Optechs, was knowing that he contributed freely without collecting data to the MF community through technical videos. If you were one of his customers, his email and telephone support was outstanding; the same I feel for Rod Klukas.

With all the technical expertise you have, I feel you could be a huge donor to the MF community if you posted technical videos, articles, etc. that did not require consumer information. I sincerely believe in the long run, you would leave your competition behind and rise to the top. As a buyer, I would feel I purchased from the best source when comparing you to others. I am currently waiting for used from owners because I do not feel like talking to a salesperson.

Kind regards,
Darr

Last edited:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member

Thanks again Bob!
Serves me right for not reading the fine print. I also suggested you add the Leica S2 before reading that you already mentioned that in the ToDo list.

Post First Read Later :facesmack:

Darr, I agree about mailing lists, but I was already in their database, as I got a Capture One discount code from DT, so I took a look.

--Matt

Last edited:

darr

Understandable Matt, sometimes discounts are a good thing.

Wouldn't it be nice to pay a membership here and then have all the venders send us discount coupons instead of trolling through our inbox? I do have a budget for country club memberships! ;)

Shashin

Always a hard balance regarding contact info. Hard to justify a LOT of time to program such a tool without asking for something in return.
It is called "goodwill." Many companies give things away in hopes that it will promote them and attract customers. And what did the contributing photographers receive? I hope it is more than "promotion."

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I'm now in the database.

Nothing appears within the white areas using IE8.
!@!^#ing IE.

Thanks for testing it. We'll make sure IE8 is working before we take it out of Beta. If you've ever done any web work you know IE is, shall we say "challenging".

David Schneider

Feedback: I just don't know how useful such an app is. I think most mfd users know the closest (not necessarily equivalent) lens in their dslr kit. That's one of the first things you learn when going to mfd or you think about if you change your mf camera.

Off topic a bit, but iPhone app I do use a good deal (Simple DoF) is one that lets me check my depth of field with mfd lenses on a specific camera and I can swipe a finger and check the dof with my dslr. That's useful because I use it frequently. Your app might be used once.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
It is called "goodwill." Many companies give things away in hopes that it will promote them and attract customers. And what did the contributing photographers receive? I hope it is more than "promotion."
Indeed the photographer and DT came to a mutually agreeable compensation. I sent him an advance copy of the tool so he would know how it was being used.

And like I said, it's a hard balance. Giving away something for nothing is a legitimate business model and we (DT) do that in a variety of ways. Notably I spend several hours every week on various forums and via my company and personal email replying to people with problems or questions under that philosophy; some of the time I'm posting to inform on a commercial service or product we offer that would solve the issue (I never try to hide my bias in that regard); but often I'm posting something that in no possible way could generate revenue for us - just goodwill. I've saved literally dozens of shoots by calls to my cell which I answer with the mentality of "solve the problem first (if possible) ask questions later". Again, goodwill.

But the something-for-contactInfo model is something you see a lot on the internet. I don't think there is any veil in that regard. If you're strongly adverse to it you can always enter Joe Schmoe and the North Pole.

In any case your feedback on it (regarding the info form) is valuable and greatly appreciated. It's a beta and we'll take it into strong consideration.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Feedback: I just don't know how useful such an app is. I think most mfd users know the closest (not necessarily equivalent) lens in their dslr kit. That's one of the first things you learn when going to mfd or you think about if you change your mf camera.
Well that's rather the point though no?

"That's one of the first things you learn when going to mfd or you think about if you change your mf camera." - I think this makes an improvement over the existing tools or ways in which someone might first learn that. It's one of the absolute most common questions I receive early in someone's consideration of a platform change, and that's not limited to Medium Format; I see the question pop up regarding Nikon/Canon crop cameras and 4/3rd cameras on their respective forums frequently.

Once you've had a few weeks/months with such a camera system a tool like this isn't needed.

KeithL

!@!^#ing IE.

Thanks for testing it. We'll make sure IE8 is working before we take it out of Beta. If you've ever done any web work you know IE is, shall we say "challenging".
I cheated, I designed and built my website for !@!^#ing IE.

;)