Site Sponsors

Thread: Hasselblad H to Leica S adapter announced!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hasselblad H to Leica S adapter announced!

"The Leica S-Adapter H will allow the Hasselblad H-lenses the following functions:

• Autofocus and manual focusing with focus indication
    • Automatic diaphragm
    • Central shutter up to 1/750s

The Leica S-Adapter H will allow Hasselblad lenses to have an extended scope of application with the S-camera due to the integrated focal plane shutter of the camera body. This will allow the photographer to shoot with the Hasselblad lenses, as well as, with central shutter or without central shutter by using upto 1/4000s with the focal plane shutter of the camera.
    The Leica S-Adapter H supports the following H-system lenses:

• HCD 4 / 28 mm
    • HC 3.5 / 35 mm
    • HC 3.5 / 50 mm II
    • HC 2.8 / 80 mm
    • HC 2.2 / 100 mm
    • HC macro 4 / 120 mm II
    • HC 3.2 / 150 mm
    • HC 4 / 210 mm
    • HC 4.5 / 300 mm
    • HCD 4-5.6 / 35 – 90 mm
    • HC 3.5-4.5 / 50 – 110 mm

WAHOOOOO! for peeps like me.

-Marc

P.S., Late may availability, mine is already on order.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Hasselblad H to Leica S adapter announced!

Great news! I didn't think you were excited about the X2...

--Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Marc,
    Love to hear about the 35-90 zoom results with this combo!

Regards,
    Al
    Al Tanabe my website https://www.altanabe.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I cannot wait to use the 100/2.2 on the S camera! Absolutely love the character of that lens, and now I'll be able to shoot it at 1/4000th!

I had a focal plane H camera on my wish list for years, that it turned out to be the Leica S2P I already use is totally out of left field.

None of the HC and HCD lenses I own are redundant to the S lenses I have ... except the 120 macro, and HC/120 is a 1:1 as opposed to 1:2 of the Leica 120. For me it is now a much more complete system, and the S2 can be the back-up to the H4D with one set of lenses.

Man, I am one happy snapper.

-Marc

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a game changer in the medium format field.

Hasselblad will sell quite a few more lenses even though Fuji makes them.
    The Leica S suddenly becomes the Swiss army knife of MF.

Most importantly it gives the S system two families of lenses with two looks.
    Leica S lenses with their hyper sharpness and the Fuji lenses with their look.

It will also be interesting to see if the Hasselblad Tilt shift adapter will work with the H to S adapter.

I wonder if this could lead to more collaboration between Hasselblad and Leica with Fuji manufacturing behind them both in some way.
    It may also go the other way with Hasselblad changing firmwire in cameras and lenses so as to disable this comparability in new products.

Edit:

The adapter, which cannot be used with Hasselblad's tilt and shift adapter, will be released this month and will retail at £1350.

Read more: http://www.bjp-online.com/british-jo...#ixzz1uV00Wsv3

Post Thanks / Like

Ah Marc, so this is the 3:00 announcement you were hinting at.

Nice compatibility for H series lens owners.

I assume this has no implications for my V series lenses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Certainly a good idea, this shows openness and customer orientation. It increases usability of the system and in the end will help to secure the S-System as a constant tool for the future.

Congrats Leica for an open mind !

Regards
    Stefan
    because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "
    facebook:hcam.de - www.hcam.de - www.hartblei.de

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Steib View Post
    Congrats Leica for an open mind !
    +1

This is a brilliant addition to the S system. Wild speculation: will something like this be available for the not-yet-announced mirrorless (a.k.a. EVIL) system?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by FredBGG View Post
    This is a game changer in the medium format field.

Hasselblad will sell quite a few more lenses even though Fuji makes them.
    The Leica S suddenly becomes the Swiss army knife of MF.

Most importantly it gives the S system two families of lenses with two looks.
    Leica S lenses with their hyper sharpness and the Fuji lenses with their look.

It will also be interesting to see if the Hasselblad Tilt shift adapter will work with the H to S adapter.

I wonder if this could lead to more collaboration between Hasselblad and Leica with Fuji manufacturing behind them both in some way.
    It may also go the other way with Hasselblad changing firmwire in cameras and lenses so as to disable this comparability in new products.

Edit:
    Fred, I would guess that it had to have been some sort of collaboration between the two companies ... and Hasselblad will benefit from licensing fees for the mount ... which I would think is still protected. Leica would need the data bus protocols to activate both the AF and the leaf shutter mechanisms on the H lenses ... and I would expect a firmware update for the S2 to accommodate it all.

Wonder what else they might have up their sleeves? I guess I shouldn't get to greedy ...

11 H lenses that can be used in focal plane mode, or leaf shutter ... from 28mm to 300mm including 2 zooms ... plus the 5 S2 lenses.

The new HC/50-II is a killer optic and fits squarely between the S35 and 70 ... S users have been howling for a 50mm to get that 35mm FOV, and it is years away for Leica, if they do one at all. The HC 100/2.2 also fills the FOV gap between the S70 and 120.

Interesting time ... and a stroke of luck for folks like me running both systems.

-Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Seascape View Post
    Ah Marc, so this is the 3:00 announcement you were hinting at.

Nice compatibility for H series lens owners.

I assume this has no implications for my V series lenses.
    I believe there is already a V to S adapter ... but it is a dumb adapter, no leaf-shutter activation, and stop-down metering.

The release states that the CFV adapter that allows use of V Leaf-shutter lenses to allow full use on the H camera cannot be used on this S adapter.

The CFV adapter and HT/S 1.5 require camera command and controls built into the H camera ... which the S2 would not have.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

ok , now I want an H lens to Nikon adapter for the D800E that I have on order!

VERY impressive Leica!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This would make the S one of the most endowed lens system, Pentax 6x7, Mamiya, Hasselblad V and now H. But it will be the most sophisticated in allowing the leaf shutter and AF function of the H lenses that intrigues me.

So Marc, how does the 100 2.2 compare to the 110 FE?

-Al
    Al Tanabe my website https://www.altanabe.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wow, this is very interesting. What a great move. This really opens up the the lens choices and expands the reach of the system. The 50 and the 100 are definitely on my radar. And, at a price that is easier on the wallet. I haven't tried the 50 before, but have used and really liked the 100. The 35-90 is also a great lens to use ... I just need to see about its usability on the S2.

And, who knows what lenses Hasselblad may be introducing in the next go around.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by atanabe View Post
    This would make the S one of the most endowed lens system, Pentax 6x7, Mamiya, Hasselblad V and now H. But it will be the most sophisticated in allowing the leaf shutter and AF function of the H lenses that intrigues me.

So Marc, how does the 100 2.2 compare to the 110 FE?

-Al
    Nothing compares to the 110/2FE. It is unique to itself.

Focusing it wide open was my problem as my eyes started going bad. That is why I never considered keeping mine to use on other cameras.

IMO, the HC100/2.2 occupies a place of its own also. It is fast and AF, and was one of the reasons I went with the H system (among others). The HC100 is my most used H lens (mostly for available light), along with the HC120 Macro in studio

I once did a portrait shoot using a M75/1.4 and the HC/100/2.2 ... literally swapping cameras back and forth ... afterwards I was amazed how remarkably similar the image qualities were ... except more of the H shots were in critical focus

I use strobes a lot, as well as shoot available light ... so for me, this small development is the biggest news of the May 10th Leica announcement.

-Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by KurtKamka View Post
    Wow, this is very interesting. What a great move. This really opens up the the lens choices and expands the reach of the system. The 50 and the 100 are definitely on my radar. And, at a price that is easier on the wallet. I haven't tried the 50 before, but have used and really liked the 100. The 35-90 is also a great lens to use ... I just need to see about its usability on the S2.

And, who knows what lenses Hasselblad may be introducing in the next go around.
    Which version of the HC50 did you use? The latest II version is a dramatic improvement ... I mean dramatic!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I used the old version of the 50 ... so I'll be interested to test out the newer version.

The 100 is going to be a must have addition. Small size (for MF), nice bokeh, AF.

This is where the D800 introduction might actually be helpful. I'm hoping that a few Hasselblad lenses might turn up on the auction sites as a few photographers jump ship.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bang bang! - thank you 'mam -

fantastic news for H users and S2 users - we now have a 300mm lens....

probably the best news released in MF land in years.

Thank you very much Leica!

oh yes - and i have my M B&W on order too.

Post Thanks / Like

Amazing!
    The S2 now has the deepest pool of quality lenses, including leaf shutter and focal plane, in medium format land.

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool announcement. Hopefully this does not hike up the price of used H system lenses as I am still looking for a 100 f2.2 of my own.
    Rick Rose
    www.RickrPhoto.com
    HasselPhase

Post Thanks / Like

So could you use the H tilt-shift adaptor with the leica H adaptor
    to get a tilt-shift lens equivalent?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by craigrudlin View Post
    So could you use the H tilt-shift adaptor with the leica H adaptor
    to get a tilt-shift lens equivalent?
    No.

The data protocols for the T/S and CFV adapters are different and require camera firmware and functions found on the H2F, H3 and H4 cameras.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No. According to what I have read, the HTS needs information residing in the H camera to operate.

Greg

Sorry Marc, we must posted simultaneously.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice idea just remember your going from 4:3 format to 3:2 format so your numbers may change somewhat to cover image circle. So for instance the 28 needs a wider image circle on 3:2 so it may not be considered a 28mm focal length. Just something to be aware of. Nice idea and does help the S line for those owners . Not sure it will attract S2 sales though but ya never know.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Nice idea just remember your going from 4:3 format to 3:2 format so your numbers may change somewhat to cover image circle. So for instance the 28 needs a wider image circle on 3:2 so it may not be considered a 28mm focal length. Just something to be aware of. Nice idea and does help the S line for those owners . Not sure it will attract S2 sales though but ya never know.
    Yep, one has to factor that in.

The HCD lenses (28mm and 35-90mm Zoom) cover an area of 49X37mm ... the S2 sensor is 45X30 useable area, producing a 1.08 X lens factor on the S2. So the HCD/28 is about a 31 on the S2. Leica makes a S30mm, but if you already have a HCD/28 ... you have to decide if you want to drop $8,000 on the S30CS lens. I have the S35mm so would not be likely to use the HCD/28mm unless I needed that little bit more coverage.

The HCD35-90 zoom offers a different proposition for the S2 owner. It is 38-98mm on the S2, and currently there is no corresponding dual shutter able zoom in the S2 lens line-up, in fact no zoom yet at all.

The HC (non-digital) focal lengths (35, 50, 80, 100, 120, 150, 210, 300) are full 645 coverage lenses (41.5 X 56mm) the lens factor for each of those lenses is about 1.25X on the S2 So the 100/2.2 is still a 100mm but FOV is reduced to an equivalent of a 125/2.2.

Like with crop frame 35mm DSLRs, the gain is more of a benefit at the longer focal lengths in terms of reach and compositional factors. A HC 210 becomes a 262mm FOV, and the HC300 a 375 FOV ... neither of which currently exists in the S2 lens line-up.

The newly redesigned HC120/4-II, offers additional benefits in allowing more true macro shooting for the S2 owner. Not only is the HC120 a 1:1 macro, on the S2 it is a 150mm FOV macro ... thus allowing much closer photography than possible with the 1:2 S120/2.5.

Whether all this will attract more S2 purchases is indeed debatable. Depends a lot on what type of photographer. It may affect interest in used S2s as much or more than new ones ... a camera that provides a H4D/50 or H4D/60 shooter with a completely different form factor, weather proofed body, and more compact body for travel and location shooting ... while using their existing lens investment. I sold my H4D/40 to get to the S2, and that decision would have been easier had I known I could use my H lenses on it.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know if this was achieved by Leica reverse engineering the H electronics etc or through cooperation with Hasselblad?

I was thinking if it was the latter it could signal some kind of fruitful partnership in the future.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I also wanted to know and I get the press releases and it was not mentioned is there any light loss factor.

I would have to think cooperation with Hassy. This just not sound like something Leica would outside of getting permission and design specs. It certainly helps the end user but it could backfire somewhat on Leica lens sales. Let's face it they are all above the 6k mark and scoring used lower cost Hassy H lenses is easy to do. Interesting , now if this was a newer S3 body than this could get exciting. Now we all know Hassy makes some decent H glass so this will be interesting to see what owners do here fill in the gaps or base the whole kit on H glass. We will probably never know that answer but still interesting to see what people do.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tjv View Post
    Does anyone know if this was achieved by Leica reverse engineering the H electronics etc or through cooperation with Hasselblad?

I was thinking if it was the latter it could signal some kind of fruitful partnership in the future.
    I have since learned it was reverse engineered ... or at least that is the word from a trusted source.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: Hasselblad H to Leica S adapter announced!

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    I have since learned it was reverse engineered ... or at least that is the word from a trusted source.

-Marc
    Hi Marc,

Thanks for great explanation on sensor factors between the two systems.

Regarding the statement above, just to be clear there was no (NONE) cooperation between H and Leica?

Interesting ...
    Ciao,
    Giorgio Niro
    www.giorgioniro.com

Post Thanks / Like

-Marc
    If thats the case might Leica be going after a weak competitor ? This significantly expands the attractiveness of the S2 to HB H owners . Next time they refresh the body ..they have a choice without major switching costs .

This shows that Leica has been a much more aggressive and forward thinking competitor than even a few years ago.

My experience tells me this is the influence of an outside element...Blackstone ?

I am greatly impressed .

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yep, one has to factor that in.

The HCD lenses (28mm and 35-90mm Zoom) cover an area of 49X37mm ... the S2 sensor is 45X30 useable area, producing a 1.08 X lens factor on the S2. So the HCD/28 is about a 31 on the S2. Leica makes a S30mm, but if you already have a HCD/28 ... you have to decide if you want to drop $8,000 on the S30CS lens. I have the S35mm so would not be likely to use the HCD/28mm unless I needed that little bit more coverage.

The HCD35-90 zoom offers a different proposition for the S2 owner. It is 38-98mm on the S2, and currently there is no corresponding dual shutter able zoom in the S2 lens line-up, in fact no zoom yet at all.

The HC (non-digital) focal lengths (35, 50, 80, 100, 120, 150, 210, 300) are full 645 coverage lenses (41.5 X 56mm) the lens factor for each of those lenses is about 1.25X on the S2 So the 100/2.2 is still a 100mm but FOV is reduced to an equivalent of a 125/2.2.

Like with crop frame 35mm DSLRs, the gain is more of a benefit at the longer focal lengths in terms of reach and compositional factors. A HC 210 becomes a 262mm FOV, and the HC300 a 375 FOV ... neither of which currently exists in the S2 lens line-up.

The newly redesigned HC120/4-II, offers additional benefits in allowing more true macro shooting for the S2 owner. Not only is the HC120 a 1:1 macro, on the S2 it is a 150mm FOV macro ... thus allowing much closer photography than possible with the 1:2 S120/2.5.

Whether all this will attract more S2 purchases is indeed debatable. Depends a lot on what type of photographer. It may affect interest in used S2s as much or more than new ones ... a camera that provides a H4D/50 or H4D/60 shooter with a completely different form factor, weather proofed body, and more compact body for travel and location shooting ... while using their existing lens investment. I sold my H4D/40 to get to the S2, and that decision would have been easier had I known I could use my H lenses on it.

-Marc
    Marc, I think your drunk with the excitement of getting to use all the H lenses you own on your S2! Hopefully you aren't operating any heavy machinery today (I think the H4D with 35-90 counts as heavy machinery :-P)!

This is all wrong. The length of the lens does not change. I know you know this and after your buzz dies down you'll realize you went off in the wrong direction, but for everyone else's benefit.

The following two combinations will produce identically cropped frames*:
    - An S2 with a Leica 120mm
    - An S2 with a Hassy 120mm

Notably using the Hassy 28mm on a Leica S2 will be just that: a 28mm. Therefore a smidge wider than the Leica 30mm.

The underlying physics is that what the CAMERA sees changes but what the LENS projects does not. The lens projects the same image circle whether it's sitting in front of a Hassy, a Leica, or a home made shoebox camera, and the camera simply sees a smaller or larger part of that unchanging image circle.

This is the reason why in our Digital Transitions Visualizer the lens slider does not have a brand selection. A 120mm lens is, as Jack would say, a Honey Badger - it doesn't care what body it is on.

Now there IS some math involved when comparing these two combinations:
    - a Hassy 120mm with a H4D-60
    - a Hassy 120mm with an S2

I have updated the Digital Transitions Visualizer Beta to save you the math.

Here is a screen grab illustrating a Hassy 120mm on a Leica S2 compared to a Leica 120mm on a Leica S2. Note they are identical, so the red frame marks and green frame marks overlap each other such that you only see the green.

Now here is an illustration comparing a Hassy 120mm on a P65+ and a Hassy 120mm on a Leica S2. The P65+ and H4D-60 have the same sensor size so, in this regard, are interchangeable. See the S2 frame (in green) is cropped in? What you're seeing there is the smaller sensor size of the S2. The Hassy 120mm lens is projecting the same image whether in front of the S2 or the P65+, but the S2 is "seeing" less of it.

*Often lenses are not the exact round number they put in the marketing materials. For instance the Leica 120mm might actually be closer to 121mm. So in an actual real world test those two lenses may produce frames with every-so-slightly different framing when used on an S2.
    Last edited by dougpeterson; 12th May 2012 at 08:49.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post
    Marc, I think the excitement of getting to use all your H lenses on your S2 got you distracted! This is all wrong. The length of the lens does not change.

The following two combinations will produce identically cropped frames*:
    - An S2 with a Leica 120mm
    - An S2 with a Hassy 120mm

Notably using the Hassy 28mm on a Leica S2 will be just that: a 28mm. Therefore a smidge wider than the Leica 30mm.

The underlying physics is that what the CAMERA sees changes but what the LENS sees does not. The lens produces the same image circle whether it's sitting in front of a Hassy, a Leica, or a home made shoebox camera, and the camera simply sees a smaller or larger part of that unchanging image circle.

Now if you are trying to compare what an H4D-60 produces with a Hassy 120mm compared to a what a Leica S2 produces with a Hassy 120mm then you have to do some "converting" (because those two bodies have different sensor sizes).

*Often lenses are not the exact round number they put in the marketing materials. For instance the Leica 120mm might actually be closer to 121mm. So in an actual real world test those two lenses may produce frames with every-so-slightly different framing when used on an S2.
    Thanks Doug, yes I know that a 28mm doesn't become a different focal length just because it's on a different camera.

But it is common practice to factor in the smaller sensor's crop factor in terms of FOV being captured out of the image circle of a lens made for covering a larger sensor. All of the Hasselblad sensors are larger than the one in the S2.

So I don't follow this statement:The same focal length S and H lens will produce identical cropped frames.

If that is true (and I hope it is), then the H lenses DO fill the S focal length gaps almost perfectly, and Guy's worry about lens factors as they relate to the different sensors amounts to a non-issue.

You'd know more about this than I would.

-Marc

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So I don't follow this statement:The same focal length S and H lens will produce identical cropped frames.

If that is true (and I hope it is), then the H lenses DO fill the S focal length gaps almost perfectly, and Guy's worry about lens factors as they relate to the different sensors amounts to a non-issue.

You'd know more about this than I would.
    That's correct. The same focal length S and H lens will produce identical cropped frames WHEN used with the same sensor.

Guy's statement about the S2 vs. H4D-40 was (I presume) about the different ASPECT ratio. Here is one last illustration showing the Hassy 120mm on an S2 compared to the Hassy 120mm on an H4D-40. The overall FOV is very very similar, but the aspect ratio of the S2 is a good bit wider.

Here is an illustration of a Hassy 120mm used on an P40+ and a Hassy 120mm used on an S2. The P40+ and H4D-40 use the same size sensor so are, in this regard, interchangeable. They produce the same general field of view, but the S2's 3:2 aspect ratio is meaningfully different than the 4:3 ratio of the P40+ or H4D-40. So, as Guy was saying, depending on your needs you get a similar, but notably different image. This will matter the most to those who need/want to produce a final image of a certain aspect ratio (e.g. a 16" x 20" print). Imagine, in the illustration below, what is left if you need to crop the S2 (green) and P40+ (red) to a 4:5 ratio; the S2 and P40+ started off with the same general field of view, but after cropping to 4:5 the S2 would be a meaningfully tighter. The opposite would be true if you need to produce a final image in a very wide (e.g. 16:9) aspect ratio; the final P40+/H4D-40 shot would be cropped in more heavily.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No.

The data protocols for the T/S and CFV adapters are different and require camera firmware and functions found on the H2F, H3 and H4 cameras.

-Marc
    The HTS is also compatible with the H2 no?

Speaking of which, any idea why the HTS no longer appears on HasselbladUSA.com?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That's correct. The same focal length S and H lens will produce identical cropped frames WHEN used with the same sensor.

Guy's statement about the S2 vs. H4D-40 was (I presume) about the different ASPECT ratio. Here is one last illustration showing the Hassy 120mm on an S2 compared to the Hassy 120mm on an H4D-40. The overall FOV is very very similar, but the aspect ratio of the S2 is a good bit wider.

Here is an illustration of a Hassy 120mm used on an P40+ and a Hassy 120mm used on an S2. The P40+ and H4D-40 use the same size sensor so are, in this regard, interchangeable. They produce the same general field of view, but the S2's 3:2 aspect ratio is meaningfully different than the 4:3 ratio of the P40+ or H4D-40. So, as Guy was saying, depending on your needs you get a similar, but notably different image. This will matter the most to those who need/want to produce a final image of a certain aspect ratio (e.g. a 16" x 20" print). Imagine, in the illustration below, what is left if you need to crop the S2 (green) and P40+ (red) to a 4:5 ratio; the S2 and P40+ started off with the same general field of view, but after cropping to 4:5 the S2 would be a meaningfully tighter. The opposite would be true if you need to produce a final image in a very wide (e.g. 16:9) aspect ratio; the final P40+/H4D-40 shot would be cropped in more heavily.

I guess my worry was given the 3:2 aspect ratio and the image circle of the 28mm would it cover enough to handle the extra sides within the IC. Now I'm not sure how big that IC actually is. Being a tech cam user the IC of a lens gets pretty important. The top and bottom should not be a issue at all it was the sides was my concern. Like on a tech cam will it smear in those extra mm needed.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I guess my worry was given the 3:2 aspect ratio and the image circle of the 28mm would it cover enough to handle the extra sides within the IC. Now I'm not sure how big that IC actually is. Being a tech cam user the IC of a lens gets pretty important. The top and bottom should not be a issue at all it was the sides was my concern. Like on a tech cam will it smear in those extra mm needed.
    No concern there. The 28mm and 35-90mm do not fully cover the H4D-60 (1.0 crop), but it does cover the H4D-50 (1.1 crop). But the S2 is closer in size to the H4D-40 (1.3 crop) than it's big brothers.

In other words the image circle from the HC 28mm will more than cover the S2 sensor in both height and width.

That's one benefit of a small sensor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Doug for clearing that up . Your right I forgot about the S2 being smaller anyway. So good news here. You know me I get the downside thoughts in there . Someone has too.

Post Thanks / Like

my order is already in!!

QUOTE=fotografz;416559]Yep, one has to factor that in.

-Marc[/QUOTE]

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I also wanted to know and I get the press releases and it was not mentioned is there any light loss factor.

I would have to think cooperation with Hassy. This just not sound like something Leica would outside of getting permission and design specs. It certainly helps the end user but it could backfire somewhat on Leica lens sales. Let's face it they are all above the 6k mark and scoring used lower cost Hassy H lenses is easy to do. Interesting , now if this was a newer S3 body than this could get exciting. Now we all know Hassy makes some decent H glass so this will be interesting to see what owners do here fill in the gaps or base the whole kit on H glass. We will probably never know that answer but still interesting to see what people do.
    I think the big question will be how quick the AF is, and whether the H distance zone will be transmitted to the S2 file so full DAC corrections can be made in LR4.

I'd hazard a guess that a used S2 body will be going for $15K or less in future. For a Hasselblad H system user, this makes it a viable alternative for a more "casual", easier to take with, camera that offers up to 1/4000 shutter with H lenses ... which has not been a choice until now.

Not sure basing a whole S system on using H glass will be very popular ... the big draw of the S2 is the Lenses, especially for Leicaphiles. But as you say, ya never know.

What I do think is that it takes the pressure off Leica. In my case, (if the adapter works as advertised), I see no need to participate in the SC lens trade-in deal from Leica ... where you trade in your S lens for the SC version and pay the retail difference. The $ difference is still a lot if you do all 4 or 5 existing lenses ... almost enough to pay for the S to H adapter and a new M Monochrom ...

-Marc

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just to post some clarification:

The H to S adapter doesn't support the HTS or the 1.7x TC.

A focal length is just that - a focal length. The field of view will change based upon sensor size, but the FL is the FL. It is probably more useful to use the 0.8x factor when comparing a FL on the S2 vs. FF 35mm. Therefore, the HCD 28mm is a 22mm equivalent on the S2. Or, as Doug was pointing out, a 120mm HC will yield exactly the same FOV as the 120mm S when used on the S2.

Yes, Leica went solo on this project and completely reverse engineered the adapter. The H mount is not a legally protected interface.

Roger, Blackstone had nothing to do with this strategy. They worked for almost 2 years perfecting this, well before Blackstone came into the picture. I also talked with Leica CEO Alfred Schopf about Blackstone's involvement. Currently, they are not contributing at all to product strategy. Basically, they signed off on Leica's 3 year plan and are very pleased with how things are going. This is why they invested in the first place, not to change what is already working quite well.
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

Shelby Lewis

I can't wait to see some HC 100/2.2 pics from the S2!

Post Thanks / Like

Roger, Blackstone had nothing to do with this strategy. They worked for almost 2 years perfecting this, well before Blackstone came into the picture. I also talked with Leica CEO Alfred Schopf about Blackstone's involvement. Currently, they are not contributing at all to product strategy. Basically, they signed off on Leica's 3 year plan and are very pleased with how things are going. This is why they invested in the first place, not to change what is already working quite well.[/QUOTE]

David

The above comments are inconsistent with my experience but very consistent with how management presents the facts . Doesn t matter because we both want Leica to be successful going forward and either way they seem to be getting a lot of things right .

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of which, any idea why the HTS no longer appears on HasselbladUSA.com?
    Doug someone has brought suit against Hasselblad in the US alleging patent infringement. Until that is resolved the HTS is not for sale in the US.

Post Thanks / Like

Also with the H1 past a certain firmware point.