The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad H to Leica S adapter announced!

fotografz

"The Leica S-Adapter H will allow the Hasselblad H-lenses the following functions:

• Autofocus and manual focusing with focus indication
• Automatic diaphragm
• Central shutter up to 1/750s

The Leica S-Adapter H will allow Hasselblad lenses to have an extended scope of application with the S-camera due to the integrated focal plane shutter of the camera body. This will allow the photographer to shoot with the Hasselblad lenses, as well as, with central shutter or without central shutter by using upto 1/4000s with the focal plane shutter of the camera.
The Leica S-Adapter H supports the following H-system lenses:

• HCD 4 / 28 mm
• HC 3.5 / 35 mm
• HC 3.5 / 50 mm II
• HC 2.8 / 80 mm
• HC 2.2 / 100 mm
• HC macro 4 / 120 mm II
• HC 3.2 / 150 mm
• HC 4 / 210 mm
• HC 4.5 / 300 mm
• HCD 4-5.6 / 35 – 90 mm
• HC 3.5-4.5 / 50 – 110 mm

WAHOOOOO! for peeps like me. :thumbs:

-Marc

P.S., Late may availability, mine is already on order.

fotografz

I cannot wait to use the 100/2.2 on the S camera! Absolutely love the character of that lens, and now I'll be able to shoot it at 1/4000th!

I had a focal plane H camera on my wish list for years, that it turned out to be the Leica S2P I already use is totally out of left field.

None of the HC and HCD lenses I own are redundant to the S lenses I have ... except the 120 macro, and HC/120 is a 1:1 as opposed to 1:2 of the Leica 120. For me it is now a much more complete system, and the S2 can be the back-up to the H4D with one set of lenses.

Man, I am one happy snapper.

-Marc

FredBGG

Not Available
This is a game changer in the medium format field.

Hasselblad will sell quite a few more lenses even though Fuji makes them.
The Leica S suddenly becomes the Swiss army knife of MF.

Most importantly it gives the S system two families of lenses with two looks.
Leica S lenses with their hyper sharpness and the Fuji lenses with their look.

It will also be interesting to see if the Hasselblad Tilt shift adapter will work with the H to S adapter.

I wonder if this could lead to more collaboration between Hasselblad and Leica with Fuji manufacturing behind them both in some way.
It may also go the other way with Hasselblad changing firmwire in cameras and lenses so as to disable this comparability in new products.

Edit:

The adapter, which cannot be used with Hasselblad's tilt and shift adapter, will be released this month and will retail at £1350.

Read more: http://www.bjp-online.com/british-j...expands-hasselblad-lens-adapter#ixzz1uV00Wsv3

Seascape

Ah Marc, so this is the 3:00 announcement you were hinting at.

Nice compatibility for H series lens owners.

I assume this has no implications for my V series lenses.

Stefan Steib

Certainly a good idea, this shows openness and customer orientation. It increases usability of the system and in the end will help to secure the S-System as a constant tool for the future.

Congrats Leica for an open mind !

Regards
Stefan

fotografz

This is a game changer in the medium format field.

Hasselblad will sell quite a few more lenses even though Fuji makes them.
The Leica S suddenly becomes the Swiss army knife of MF.

Most importantly it gives the S system two families of lenses with two looks.
Leica S lenses with their hyper sharpness and the Fuji lenses with their look.

It will also be interesting to see if the Hasselblad Tilt shift adapter will work with the H to S adapter.

I wonder if this could lead to more collaboration between Hasselblad and Leica with Fuji manufacturing behind them both in some way.
It may also go the other way with Hasselblad changing firmwire in cameras and lenses so as to disable this comparability in new products.

Edit:
Fred, I would guess that it had to have been some sort of collaboration between the two companies ... and Hasselblad will benefit from licensing fees for the mount ... which I would think is still protected. Leica would need the data bus protocols to activate both the AF and the leaf shutter mechanisms on the H lenses ... and I would expect a firmware update for the S2 to accommodate it all.

Wonder what else they might have up their sleeves? I guess I shouldn't get to greedy ... :)

11 H lenses that can be used in focal plane mode, or leaf shutter ... from 28mm to 300mm including 2 zooms ... plus the 5 S2 lenses.

The new HC/50-II is a killer optic and fits squarely between the S35 and 70 ... S users have been howling for a 50mm to get that 35mm FOV, and it is years away for Leica, if they do one at all. The HC 100/2.2 also fills the FOV gap between the S70 and 120.

Interesting time ... and a stroke of luck for folks like me running both systems.

-Marc

fotografz

Ah Marc, so this is the 3:00 announcement you were hinting at.

Nice compatibility for H series lens owners.

I assume this has no implications for my V series lenses.
I believe there is already a V to S adapter ... but it is a dumb adapter, no leaf-shutter activation, and stop-down metering.

The release states that the CFV adapter that allows use of V Leaf-shutter lenses to allow full use on the H camera cannot be used on this S adapter.

The CFV adapter and HT/S 1.5 require camera command and controls built into the H camera ... which the S2 would not have.

-Marc

atanabe

This would make the S one of the most endowed lens system, Pentax 6x7, Mamiya, Hasselblad V and now H. But it will be the most sophisticated in allowing the leaf shutter and AF function of the H lenses that intrigues me.

So Marc, how does the 100 2.2 compare to the 110 FE?

-Al

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Wow, this is very interesting. What a great move. This really opens up the the lens choices and expands the reach of the system. The 50 and the 100 are definitely on my radar. And, at a price that is easier on the wallet. I haven't tried the 50 before, but have used and really liked the 100. The 35-90 is also a great lens to use ... I just need to see about its usability on the S2.

And, who knows what lenses Hasselblad may be introducing in the next go around.

fotografz

This would make the S one of the most endowed lens system, Pentax 6x7, Mamiya, Hasselblad V and now H. But it will be the most sophisticated in allowing the leaf shutter and AF function of the H lenses that intrigues me.

So Marc, how does the 100 2.2 compare to the 110 FE?

-Al
Nothing compares to the 110/2FE. It is unique to itself.

Focusing it wide open was my problem as my eyes started going bad. That is why I never considered keeping mine to use on other cameras.

IMO, the HC100/2.2 occupies a place of its own also. It is fast and AF, and was one of the reasons I went with the H system (among others). The HC100 is my most used H lens (mostly for available light), along with the HC120 Macro in studio

I once did a portrait shoot using a M75/1.4 and the HC/100/2.2 ... literally swapping cameras back and forth ... afterwards I was amazed how remarkably similar the image qualities were ... except more of the H shots were in critical focus ;)

I use strobes a lot, as well as shoot available light ... so for me, this small development is the biggest news of the May 10th Leica announcement.

-Marc

fotografz

Wow, this is very interesting. What a great move. This really opens up the the lens choices and expands the reach of the system. The 50 and the 100 are definitely on my radar. And, at a price that is easier on the wallet. I haven't tried the 50 before, but have used and really liked the 100. The 35-90 is also a great lens to use ... I just need to see about its usability on the S2.

And, who knows what lenses Hasselblad may be introducing in the next go around.
Which version of the HC50 did you use? The latest II version is a dramatic improvement ... I mean dramatic!

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
I used the old version of the 50 ... so I'll be interested to test out the newer version.

The 100 is going to be a must have addition. Small size (for MF), nice bokeh, AF.

This is where the D800 introduction might actually be helpful. I'm hoping that a few Hasselblad lenses might turn up on the auction sites as a few photographers jump ship.

PeterA

Bang bang! - thank you 'mam -:)

fantastic news for H users and S2 users - we now have a 300mm lens....

probably the best news released in MF land in years.

Thank you very much Leica!

oh yes - and i have my M B&W on order too.:chug:

Sharokin

Amazing!
The S2 now has the deepest pool of quality lenses, including leaf shutter and focal plane, in medium format land.

Zerimar

Very cool announcement. Hopefully this does not hike up the price of used H system lenses as I am still looking for a 100 f2.2 of my own.