The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Image circles of Shift Tilt lenses-table

Stefan Steib

I want to thank Christoph Kügler for this work, he did a nice excel sheet on this which I post here. Additionally I want to say that with the lens modifications we do on the Canon TS-E 17mm and 24mm II the movements will improve to 3 and 4mm with the 17mm and 6 and 7mm with the 24mm. The max. Movements are to be achieved only with the HCam-B1, the Hasselblad CF lenses were mounted with a Mirex TS adapter, this allowed astonishing movements on the HCam.
(with 80 Mpix - on a smaller chip it will be even more -I still think the P45+ or an Aptus 8 are the perfect backs to get maximum movements at best quality with these lenses). so here is the table:

greetings from Germany
Stefan

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Got to love that Rodie 90 -- I had one back in my Betterlight scanning back days and it was impressive on that ;)

gerald.d

Stefan - what are the prices for the Canon 17 and 24 if purchased from you with the modifications done? Clearly these modifications will void any warranty with Canon, which would be a bit of a concern.

Also, any update on other Canon lenses? Obviously I know about the 8-15, and it's a shame that the 45 and 90 don't seem to be worthwhile (you might want to update the PDF on your site to reflect this), but it would be very useful to know images circles of a wider range of Canons (particularly because I have access to pretty much every lens in the range).

Stefan Steib

Gerald

I am not a Canon dealer, but what I can do is get these through my partnering dealers here in Germany at comparably low prices (around 2000 € for the 24mm and about 2200 € for the 17mm - this is with the 19% german VAT). The rebuild is 450 € each net + shipping handling costs .
The VAT can be deducted partly, but I have to pay it upfront and do only get it back months later so I need to charge 10 % for this for interests.

So this ads up to an export price of estimated (depends also on the actual day price of my source!) 2300,- € for the 24mm and 2500,- € for the 17mm TSE.(+ shipment to your country)

If you want to know exactly I have to first call and find out about availability and actual pricing. Then I´ll give an exact days quote.

About the other Canon Lenses - there are 2 parameters that come into account:

Image circle and distance of back lens to narrowest part of bajonett mount.

there are lots of longer telephoto (especially the the superteles from Canon) which have a large image circle, but will only give a maximum of maybe 40x40mm usable image area because the barrel vignetting. But of course this already is a quite usable size if you think that this will already give about 55-60 Mpix on an 80 Mpix back.

there are plenty of lenses still to try out, one of my latest findings was the Nikon AFD 2,8/60mm Micro (the old version!) which is TACK sharp and gives enough image circle to even 80Mpix with a tiny bit of corner vignetting.

What I need to do some day when I have time, is to go to a large rental in Munich and work through the complete stock and get this all valued.
Problem is-there is so much work hanging around here, website, new products,actual production,customer service and....and..... so I really need to split myself into several parts, maybe cloning would be a solution.....:)

Regards
Stefan

m21apsh

Dear Stefan,

I did not see you put Apo sironar digital 45mm on the list.

Does it not working well with IQ180? or anyother reason?

best

Jeff

Stefan Steib

Jeff

there are many more lenses which are not on the list, this is nowhere a total market overview or complete lenslist of all makers. The Rodenstock and Schneider data are also available from their datasheet, so I don´t think it is necessary to post this here again in detail. It is also mostly for the HCam, so the tech lenses are there for a comparison.

Regards
Stefan