The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Stupid mistakes that make you laugh

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
When picking up a backpack or camera bag, make sure that none of the straps are looped around a tripod leg. I sent a Cambo/IQ160/Schneider setup crashing enthusiastically into the ground... at the feet of the owner... who wasn't me.

Only cost a tilt/swing mount, but Yech!

--Matt

Oh. Wait. The thread says "Make you Laugh." No, no laughing...
I cried and it wasn't mine . LOL

trailshooter

"tossing" my D700 into the back seat and not noticing its entanglement with my backpack.... Then yanking my backpack from the back seat only to watch the D700 try to fly... It dint. Traumatic lens / body separation. Thank goodness I only had a cheap scouting lens mounted with plastic bayonet or things could have been much worse. Body ok. Lens, not so much.

tashley

Subscriber Member
I feel your pain buddy: years ago I arrived at a funeral just as it was about to start. The Wren church was packed (with a Who's Who of the Church of England) so I headed up to the balcony, where I sat quietly, alone. The coffin was borne in to sombre music and placed in front of the altar on a catafalque. Where it rested in silence. Until.

My mobile phone (novelty ringtone, natch) went off in my coat pocket. Actually, in the lining of my coat, into which it had fallen through the hole in my pocket and from whence it could not be fished. Several hundred heads swivelled towards me.

Every so often I meet someone at an event and they say, 'weren't you the one who...'

:cry:

Yep, I've had a few "Dumb and Dumber" moments:

Shooting from a balcony in a muggy 100º church, with no fans or lighting. Look through my Contax 645 viewfinder to take some critical shots ... and it's black. Start frantically field stripping the camera to see what the heck is wrong, seems okay, put it back together, still black ... finally discover I had inadvertently flipped the viewfinder dark slide into place while wiping the sweat off the camera and finder ... which I couldn't see in the dark. :facesmack:

Balcony #2 incident: Shooting a 555ELD and original Kodak ProBack on a tripod. Had the tethered Quantum battery strapped to my waist for mobility. Decided to swap lenses ... turn to reach for the 40mm on the pew and pull the whole rig over ... which promptly tumbles down a flight of marble steps disrupting the wedding I was shooting. :eek:

I occasionally have nightmares involving "Balconies". :rolleyes:

Every time, and I mean EVERY TIME, I walk an elaborate lighting set-up to a remote location, the 8" sync cord from radio transmitter to camera fails. Do I learn? Apparently not. Had it happen on the last shoot again. I had cleaned and formed the tip before leaviong and must have pulled it to hard when removing the conditioner, just enough that it still worked, then didn't after 2 shots. :banghead: Now I have 5 of them in my pocket ... until the next time when I forget.

-Marc

gazwas

While shooting a room setup for a hospitality client, after increasing the length of my tripod forgetting that TRIpod means three legs and subsequently only fastening two legs. Then watching in sloooooow motion as camera and tripod fall within inches of hitting a chap innocently eating his Christmas lunch.

Until that day, I'd alway wondered why pros bought 1D bodies over XD bodies.

Ben Rubinstein

Mistakes from the wedding two days ago. 50mm Lens won't focus at all and then throws up a camera error. Had to reboot to get it working, oh and take my finger away from the focus ring where it had been trapping it from moving :D.

Other mistake was shooting half the group shots at f3.5 rather than the f5 I had the strobes set to. Luckily both the DOF and highlight recovery was sufficient...

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
On a few occasions, I have inadvertantly bumped the aperature lever while cocking the shutter only to wonder what was happening with my exposures where they were so over exposed.

After shooting another image without changing anything, I finally figured it out. :grin:

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
When picking up a backpack or camera bag, make sure that none of the straps are looped around a tripod leg. I sent a Cambo/IQ160/Schneider setup crashing enthusiastically into the ground... at the feet of the owner... who wasn't me.

Only cost a tilt/swing mount, but Yech!

--Matt

Oh. Wait. The thread says "Make you Laugh." No, no laughing...
I was about 10 feet away from that and saw the entire thing, and the scene went into slow motion. I dont recall anyone laughing at the time either.

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
On a recent trip to Maine, I had climbed to the top of Mosquito Pond Mountain to shoot the view up there. I was in the process of changing lenses, setting one down on my bag, only to hit it with my foot. I watched as it rolled down the side of the hill, and off a 25 foot rock ledge.

Needless to say, that was the death roll for that lens.

Shashin

So, I had this friend who was having a really problem with his large-format sheet film exposures. He was telling me the ISO was way off--he was overexposing his film by 10 or more stops and still the density was low. We started talking about the problem and we got to loading the film holders. He said he had no problems loading the holders as you just put your index finger on the edge markings and slide it in and then he proceeds to raise his left hand to show me how he does it...