Site Sponsors

Thread: YouTube Interview with Ove Bengtson, Product Manager Hasselblad H System.

Post Thanks / Like

YouTube Interview with Ove Bengtson, Product Manager Hasselblad H System.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: YouTube Interview with Ove Bengtson, Product Manager Hasselblad H System.

Watched this interview and was quite impressed.

Appreciated the corporate memory and even though I don't own a H system he certainly improved my appreciation of the Hasselblad brand.

Mal

Post Thanks / Like

Love it.

In a nutshell, 'We are the best, please go away'

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Keith!

Well, that should put to rest the myth that Fuji makes the H camera body ... even the Fuji version available in Japan is made in Sweden.

That video must be a bit old since what he promised regarding DAC corrections for Zeiss V lenses is now a reality. Apparently, it was also before the H4D with True Focus APL in answer to the AF multi-point question.

Of note: when I had a complete V system in parallel with a complete H system, I ran practical tests of all the V and H lenses against one another by using the CFV adapter on the same camera in the same consistent conditions, and only a few of the V lenses held their own with the H series ... most notably the CFE40-IF outperformed the HC35 (IMO, the one HC lens in dire need of updating), and that was about it. The Zeiss 120/4 Macro wasn't up to the HC120/4 nor could it go to 1:1 without extension tubes like the H version ... and that was before the new HC120/4-II, which is optically even better. That the H lenses are AF, and have a higher sync speed was and remains the deciding factor for my use. I sold all the V gear.

In some cases, one accepts the performance of certain Zeiss lenses for their character. Notably the 110/2FE ...which has no leaf shutter and cannot be used on the H camera or the 500 series V cameras, but is highly prized for adapted use on other focal plane cameras

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

You must have to be a Hasselblad shooter to appreciate this video.

Ove Bengtson is obviously a very knowledgeable man being interviewed by a total twerp. I found the interviewer to be obnoxious, almost to the point of rude and didn't glean any more information from Mr Bengston that we didn't already know.

This doesn't change any feeling that I had about the H system and feel it a wasted opportunity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gazwas View Post
    Ove Bengtson is obviously a very knowledgeable man being interviewed by a total twerp. I found the interviewer to be obnoxious, almost to the point of rude and didn't glean any more information from Mr Bengston that we didn't already know...
    I agree. Ignorant interviewer, but remarkable patience from Ove.
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I had already written this to LL - so here a copy and paste:

thanks for that link, that was interesting.

As for the content of his statements, the part on the lenses keeps some questions open.
    E.G. are the levels of quality of the H Lenses "better than the Zeiss V versions" with or without the electronic corrections ?
    And will the Zeiss versions be better if Hasselblad would apply the same corrections to the V lenses ?
    And in this connection I have to ask, as the corrections are not to be switched off with H-Cameras, what will happen
    when they are used on the Leica S2 without the corrections that Hasselblad does in the Phocus software ?
    He also said that there is a varying correction depending to the distance, probably from reading exif data of the lenses.

I ask myself if Leica knew this ? And if there was a cooperation on the Adapter for the S2 (which some were suspecting) why now this
    interview at this date, that tell us the lenses will only work well on the Hasselblad H bodies ?..............

Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses........ or intention ?

Very interesting !

regards
    Stefan

PS.: The date of the Interview is exactly the 10th of may, same day the Leica adapter was released............ what a synchronicity.......
    because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "
    facebook:hcam.de - www.hcam.de - www.hartblei.de

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Funny - I just took a look at the poster of this Video, his name is aardvarkey- which is a real funny name:
    if you take a look at Wikipedia- it´s an ancient african animal that has disappeared - or - a firefox extension with the following description:
    " It can be used for cleaning up a page prior to printing it (by removing and isolating elements), for making the page more readable, and (most appreciated by web developers), for analyzing the structure of a page......"
    + "key"= you can riddle yourself...........?
    - he became a youtube member that same day,it´s his first and only posting, his age is mentioned with 19 ........ ?????

If love this - Interesting !

regards
    Stefan
    because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ok I know........sorry........but this is too good. This happens to be pos.1 when you search videos for "plastik & glass" on google

Plastic and glass, de Tessa Joosse (trailer) - YouTube

Stefan

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Steib View Post
    I had already written this to LL - so here a copy and paste:

thanks for that link, that was interesting.

As for the content of his statements, the part on the lenses keeps some questions open.
    E.G. are the levels of quality of the H Lenses "better than the Zeiss V versions" with or without the electronic corrections ?
    And will the Zeiss versions be better if Hasselblad would apply the same corrections to the V lenses ?
    And in this connection I have to ask, as the corrections are not to be switched off with H-Cameras, what will happen
    when they are used on the Leica S2 without the corrections that Hasselblad does in the Phocus software ?
    He also said that there is a varying correction depending to the distance, probably from reading exif data of the lenses.

I ask myself if Leica knew this ? And if there was a cooperation on the Adapter for the S2 (which some were suspecting) why now this
    interview at this date, that tell us the lenses will only work well on the Hasselblad H bodies ?..............

Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses........ or intention ?

Very interesting !

regards
    Stefan

PS.: The date of the Interview is exactly the 10th of may, same day the Leica adapter was released............ what a synchronicity.......
    The date of the interview may say May 10th, but was it this year? Or was it simply re-released this may 10?

The content seems to argue that it was an earlier interview. Hasselblad now does have DAC corrections for Zeiss lenses, so he wouldn't have been able to answer your Zeiss DAC question then anyway as it didn't exist yet ... "they were working on it". True focus has been introduced to accommodate off-center focus questions, the resolution of LCD on the H4Ds has been doubled, and newer versions of key HC lenses have been released to accommodate the performance of the H4D/60 and H4D/200 Multi-Shot cameras.

As to whether the Zeiss lenses get better than H versions after DAC, in my experience it is closer for a few select Zeiss optics, but for the most part, no. Notably the new HC-50-II outperforms the CFi50FLE even with DAC because the Zeiss is comparibly soft in the corners and as he said DAC has nothing to do with sharpness. The HC120 Macro is also better especially at close focusing range. There is no Zeiss equivalent to the HC100/2.2 which at f/3.5 outperforms the CFE/100/3.5 with or without DAC. Much of this becomes more apparent when working with the H4D/60 and H4D/200 Multi-shot than it does with less demanding backs.

RE: DAC being an exclusive Phocus funtion as you imply, that is no longer true ... Hasselblad provided Adobe the Hasselblad True Color embedded profile and all of the Hasselblad DAC H and V lenses corrections are available in Lightroom.

Whether distance data is transferred via the Leica H to S adapter remains to be seen. Since it is transferred with S lenses, I see no reason it would not be part of the exif data accompanying each file shot with an H lens. I have a large photo of the H to S adapter, and it looks like all of the contact pins are in place to communicated the data from the H lens. Until I get it in hand, I can't be definitive on the subject.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Ove Bengtson is obviously a very knowledgeable man being interviewed by a total twerp. I found the interviewer to be obnoxious, almost to the point of rude and didn't glean any more information from Mr Bengston that we didn't already know.
    ++1

Actually if I would have been interviewed by that person, not sure what I would have done to this ...... of an interviewer

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, let me think, could it be the interviewer intentionally adopted a pseudo aggressive approach to mimic the Blad bashers?

Surely not!

Post Thanks / Like

That sums it up real quick and very accurate too Mr. Bengston is obviously a very polite person.
    Bad questions, bad interview technique, sound is awful and don't get me started about the light and the background

We see this happen more and more, lots of would be reporters and a camera with a video-button...Why a serious company like Hasselblad does not check the credentials of who's actually making the video, I don't know. Somehow there still seems to be a lot of blind faith in people with video cams.

Anyway, this is happening all over the internet. Making a video is so much more than pushing a video-button...

Post Thanks / Like

+1

Ditto to all above - interesting points raised by Ove - but terrible "interviewer".... hope it is not typical of the Antipodes.

Post Thanks / Like

Some of you guys need an irony transplant.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
    Hmm, let me think, could it be the interviewer intentionally adopted a pseudo aggressive approach to mimic the Blad bashers?

Surely not!
    Well, if thats the case its obviously gone way over ones none Blad basher head and presumably Blad bashers heads also....

I still stand by my original comment that unless you're on the cusp of purchasing or has just purchased and still in the honeymoon period with an H camera, there is very little of interest in this video and is a waisted opportunity.

I mean whats the point of making anything visual and than not including the products as they are being discussed. I could produce better on my iPhone. :sleep006:

Post Thanks / Like

Well, if thats the case its obviously gone way over
    I still stand by my original comment that unless you're on the cusp of purchasing or has just purchased and still in the honeymoon period with an H camera, there is very little of interest in this video and is a waisted opportunity.
    Hmm, let me think...perhaps it was aimed at those on the cusp of purchasing or still in the honeymoon period with an H camera?

Or even more likely, to correct common misconceptions?

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, let me think...perhaps it was aimed at those on the cusp of purchasing or still in the honeymoon period with an H camera?

Or even more likely, to correct common misconceptions?
    If on the cusp of making a decision, I'd say the decision was made.......?

If you've sold the system, why try and convince new buyers of anything.....?

Correcting common misconceptions that the camera and lenses are designed by Fuji is pretty common knowledge and as to where its all built, does that matter....?

Post Thanks / Like

Well, if thats the case its obviously gone way over
    They're your words.

Post Thanks / Like

They're your words.
    There it goes again..... straight over the head......

Either I've been in the dark too long today or your making a point I just don't get?

Oh well, life's too short!

*EDIT* Just seen you're posts on LL. So this is just a scheme to increase youtube hits for a colleague and HB, how dull. :sleep006:

Post Thanks / Like

duh

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If on the cusp of making a decision, I'd say the decision was made.......?

If you've sold the system, why try and convince new buyers of anything.....?

Correcting common misconceptions that the camera and lenses are designed by Fuji is pretty common knowledge and as to where its all built, does that matter....?
    Not really. There was a recent thread arguing how Fuji makes the H system ... again. So apparently it isn't common knowledge that Hasselblad Sweden makes it, and also makes the Fuji version for Japan.

Is it important? Well, for long-time Hasselblad users with a well of trust built up with the revered Swedish brand, it might be important. Brand attributes and perceptions are a tricky thing to mess with ... Leica learned that when they had Minolta make their R camera for a while.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Just my view. I found the video tongue in cheek. It made me smile which I think was the purpose of it and not to rile people up. It appears to have been taken way too seriously by some. Look forward to part 2.
    Cheers Martin

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm....

look close:

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Hasselblad has always been fishy about it's relationship with Fuji

From the Hasselblad website:
    "In 1998 the result of one such partnership allowed Hasselblad, along with Fuji Photo Film, to once again revolutionize the camera industry with the introduction of the new Hasselblad XPan camera. This unique system was developed and produced by Hasselblad in close co-operation with Fuji."
    Developed and produced by Hasselblad?

base plate of an xpan.... says made in Japan.

It was a re lable of this

The original Fuji

The "Fujiblad" xpan

It's really funny that not only is the Hasselblad xpan identical to the Fuji 35mm panoramic camera, but xpan is also stylistically just like the Fuji medium format range finder cameras

Last edited by FredBGG; 15th May 2012 at 00:39.

Post Thanks / Like

Fred, if you are referring to the "Made in Japan" it is consistant with Oves statement. Lenses & viewfinders - Japan. Bodies - Sweden. Backs - Denmark & Sweden.
    Alpa FPS • MAX • TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 • Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Another interesting fact is that Shiro Group of Hong Kong buys Hasselblad and the H system comes out. Company becomes owned by a powerful Hong Kong industrial group and starts marketing cameras made in Japan......

Now more recently Fuji announces it will be manufacturing it's own luxury top of the line camera system and Shiro sells off Hasselblad to Ventiz.

I remember hearing from a hasselblad guy at a trade fair that Hasselblad
    dumped Carl Zeiss because they don't have clean rooms and adequate facilities for digital?????
    Never heard such rubbish. Carl Zeiss has been involved in micro electronics and nanothechnology for many years.

Carl Zeiss SMT GmbH originated from the Semiconductor Technology Business Unit of Carl Zeiss AG.

Carl Zeiss SMT and its four strategic business units Lithography Optics, Laser Optics, Nano Technology Systems and Semiconductor Metrology Systems focus their operations on two main markets:

Lithography Imaging Solutions:
    illumination and projection systems for ASML wafer steppers and scanners
    components and modules for Cymer lithography lasers

Process Control Solutions:
    Scanning and transmission electron beam and ion beam systems for nanotechnology applications, life sciences, material analysis and semiconductor applications
    Mask inspection & repair tools
    I think that if Carl Zeiss makes Helium Ion microscopes
    they can handle anything a medium format camera lens might need

Carl Zeiss clean rooms:

They also make 193 nm lithography systems with 70nm resolution. That is thousands of times smaller than the size of the smallest pixels in a MF back.

They are also leaders in Semiconductor Metrology Systems.
    There are room sized sytems used for ultra high level semiconductor manufacturing that are used in the manufacturing of circuits many times more complex than sensors. Not only do these systems have to work in clean rooms but they have to be manufacured to even higher tollerances.

Carl Zeiss revenue for 2010 $ 4B with about $ 1B in liquid assets.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

One more thing to think about......

Ever wonder why Hasselblad with almost a century of square format suddenly goes to a 645 only system that favors horizontal use when 90% of the work published by Hasselblad photographers was vertical.

Another thing.... ever wondered why the V system became terribly unreliable and then the H system came out pretty much a solid system?

Post Thanks / Like

Fred, I bet you've got all the series box sets of the X-Files...
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by FredBGG View Post
    Hmmm....

look close:

I presume you are referencing the "Made in Japan" on the viewfinder?

Listen closely ... he clearly stated that Fuji manufactures the viewfinders for the H system.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Just to be clear, I'm not a colleague of the interviewer.

Reactions to this video have fallen into two camps, those who get the humorous approach and those who don't.

This was a casual and fun discussion between acquaintances. The sincerity and immediacy of Ove Bengtson's unscripted replies were far more telling than they would have been in a more formal ‘corporate’ interview.

Post Thanks / Like

Reactions to this video have fallen into two camps, those who get the humorous approach and those who don't.
    Is this an official HB video that they link to?

Post Thanks / Like

No.

Post Thanks / Like

Just to be clear, I'm not a colleague of the interviewer.

This was a casual and fun discussion between acquaintances. The sincerity and immediacy of Ove Bengtson's unscripted replies were far more telling than they would have been in a more formal ‘corporate’ interview.
    Thanks for clarifying that Keith - somehow completely missed it! :sleep006:

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    I presume you are referencing the "Made in Japan" on the viewfinder?

Listen closely ... he clearly stated that Fuji manufactures the viewfinders for the H system.

-Marc
    All I'll add to this is that before any announcement from Hasselblad I had heard from Fuji that they were developing a 645 AF reflex camera as a little brother to the Fuji GX680. The prototype I saw looked remarkably like the GX645. I remember complaining about no rotating back.

Here is a quote from an LA photographer and motion picture production facility owner that visited the Fuji plant...

There was a quote by someone on MM that Fuji did not make the Hassy H series bodies, I can attest that they do as they were when I was at the plant 2 years ago.

What a fantastic production line...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by FredBGG View Post
    Another interesting fact is that Shiro Group of Hong Kong buys Hasselblad and the H system comes out. Company becomes owned by a powerful Hong Kong industrial group and starts marketing cameras made in Japan......

Now more recently Fuji announces it will be manufacturing it's own luxury top of the line camera system and Shiro sells off Hasselblad to Ventiz.

FYI, Hasselblad introduced the Hasselblad H camera in 2002. Shiro acquired majority share in 2003.

Shiro Sweden was formed and introduced the capital and vision to acquire Imacon in August 2004, closed down Hasselblad's own half-hearted digital department, and re-directed the company to further dedicate itself to professional digital imaging. Like every other MFD effort, it concentrated on the 645 format because that was the direction of sensor development ... which in 2012 is still the direction of production sensor development for MF photography, and the much fabled 48 X 48 or 56 X 56 sensor has never materialized.

Reliability issues with the V camera in favor of the H?

Up to 2 years ago I used an unbroken succession of 500 series V cameras stretching back 40 years and never saw any evidence of that ... in fact, quite the opposite. Hasselblad continuously improved the reliability over the years. The pinnacle of which was probably the 1998 to 2006 555ELD verses previous EL studio production models. They continued to support traditional V camera users with a line of dedicated CFV backs including the still available CFV/39 and CFV/50.

I transitioned to the H platform for a couple of reasons ... AF and a slightly higher sync speed. Hasselblad made that transition easier by offering the CF adapter so I could utilize the Zeiss V lenses on the H camera until I could flesh out the HC series of lenses. I sold off my Contax 645 and eventually the V system, and consolidated it all in the H system.

The anecdotal "Clean Room" Zeiss excuse is one I never heard. Who knows what goes on behind closed corporate doors at any of these companies? Doesn't matter, Hasselblad chose Fuji for whatever reason and that's the way it is. Anyone that favors the Zeiss 500 series V lenses can still use them on their H camera ... via the CF Adapter.

-Marc

BTW, I know of no one that thought the XPAN was made in Sweden ... or cared.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Steib View Post

regards
    Stefan
    When I asked David Grover why they did not introduce an auto photo-stacking system he said that they could not, because the camera did not know the (exact) focus distance, only a zone indication.

... but, using the incremental focus on live view, you could easily focus-stak without touching the camera between shots, and I do not think it would take them many minutes to write the software to do it automatically.

There is a software development kit that allows you to fire the camera from another program, but I do not thing it allows you to focus.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    FYI, Hasselblad introduced the Hasselblad H camera in 2002. Shiro acquired majority share in 2003.

Shiro Sweden was formed and introduced the capital and vision to acquire Imacon in August 2004, closed down Hasselblad's own half-hearted digital department, and re-directed the company to further dedicate itself to professional digital imaging. Like every other MFD effort, it concentrated on the 645 format because that was the direction of sensor development ... which in 2012 is still the direction of production sensor development for MF photography, and the much fabled 48 X 48 or 56 X 56 sensor has never materialized.

Reliability issues with the V camera in favor of the H?

Up to 2 years ago I used an unbroken succession of 500 series V cameras stretching back 40 years and never saw any evidence of that ... in fact, quite the opposite. Hasselblad continuously improved the reliability over the years. The pinnacle of which was probably the 1998 to 2006 555ELD verses previous EL studio production models. They continued to support traditional V camera users with a line of dedicated CFV backs including the still available CFV/39 and CFV/50.

I transitioned to the H platform for a couple of reasons ... AF and a slightly higher sync speed. Hasselblad made that transition easier by offering the CF adapter so I could utilize the Zeiss V lenses on the H camera until I could flesh out the HC series of lenses. I sold off my Contax 645 and eventually the V system, and consolidated it all in the H system.

The anecdotal "Clean Room" Zeiss excuse is one I never heard. Who knows what goes on behind closed corporate doors at any of these companies? Doesn't matter, Hasselblad chose Fuji for whatever reason and that's the way it is. Anyone that favors the Zeiss 500 series V lenses can still use them on their H camera ... via the CF Adapter.

-Marc

BTW, I know of no one that thought the XPAN was made in Sweden ... or cared.
    I'm sure Shiro secured some changes in Hasselblad before buying it. Rather unusual purchase if you think about it.... distributor buys the manufacturer....

Truth of the matter is that Hasselblad could not stay on it's own feet. The Fuji relationship was a synergy that worked for both Fuji and Hasselblad..... well to a point. Fuji remained profitable... Hasselblad did not. Hence all the changes in ownership and the sale to Ventiz and merger of north American operations with Broncolor. Remember Sinar joined up with Broncolor a while ago and that did not work out.

Anyway the most important fact is that Hasselblad support is stellar. Even discontinured items are reapaired at very reasonable costs and with turnarounds of a few days. Hasselblad and Fuji make the best MF camera.

All the marketing mumbojumbo and history fuzziness is secondary.
    Last edited by FredBGG; 15th May 2012 at 10:12.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

This is interesting.

A nice photo reportage at the new Hasselblad factory at the time when Shiro aquired Imacon.

Photos show Hasselblad V and Hasselblad H assembly, but Hasselblad H looks more like final assembly while showing more from the ground up V manufacturing.

Factory looks great. Clean, loads of daylight and beautiful building. Building does not look like much machining takes place there, more of an assembly plant.

Here is the link.

TheReportage.com » SWEDEN : HASSELBLAD'S FACTORY IN GOTEBORG

You can sign up for a simple view account for free.

Interesting sight of other reportages too.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Fred, I bet you've got all the series box sets of the X-Files...
    That's funny!!!!!

Actually I threw out the TV set many years ago. I'm more for mountain biking, surfing, kitesurfing than the TV set. Had several epic kitesurfing wave riding sessions in the last few days. Overhead surf... caught some memorable waves.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think the companies name ( Family Name ) is Shriro
    and not Shiro . Just to be correct .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------