The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Landscape Photography: D800E or MF Tech?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I can't say I was thrilled to find out that there really is no top of the line 35mm lens for the tech cameras. 35mm rodie apo-sironar digital is not so sharp, schneider 35 digitar has only ~75mm effective image circle due too rather poor quality the last 15 (field curvature), and the rodie 35mm digaron-s is only 70mm so shift is very limited.
You need to check out the Rodenstock HR 32 -- relative large IC and extremely sharp.

FredBGG

Not Available
I'm sorry but e-bay is the absolute worst guidelines to go by as far as price. There simply is no standard. People sell there worst gear on eBay usually damaged, going out of business, over priced and just simply desperate people and a ton of fraud. IMHO prices are completely irrelevant . The only thing that happens is people use this data as a bargaining chip. Happens to me all the time and I tell them goodbye every time on a sale. Fred fair warning your going to get your *** burned at some point with eBay I can promise you this. Your money but when a brick shows up don't come crying. I would not spend over a grand on eBay anymore it's gotten that bad. Yes at one time it was pretty safe. It's just too risky now. Not saying there are always bad buyers and sellers but there is always a crook lurking. Sorry as a forum owner and someone that's been on Internet , forums and such I just seen some bad stuff happen. Believe me I get a lot if emails for advice on this stuff. Buy from people you know have good feedback or see a dealer. Especially dealing at this level of systems. There are complete legit sellers too but you don't always know who they are. I just can't recommend it myself given I am co-owner of this place it's too much of a trust factor I can't count on giving people good advice on what to buy and where. I will always side on a safe place or person to buy from. I get PMs all the time of our members asking about other members here. So I say this with some experience.

I disagree. Just buy from sellers with 100% positive feedback that offer the right return policy. If you buy from sellers with good feedback you automatically get ebay protection.

As far as ebay being representative of prices on the market it is very representative. The items I referred to were all completed sales that also received 5 star feedback.

You can also buy locally through ebay. Just search with your local zip code.
You can often see the items in person and still complete the transaction through ebay.

eBay is a multi billion dollar company because it works.

Going back to ebay being a good way to establish used market prices.
I have at times bought gear from stores or locals and used completed listing prices to get the fair price on an item. Because eBay reaches the whole nation you get a more accurate sampling of the market.

I have had to make 2 ebay returns. Both went through no problem at all. Pay Pal even returns fees on refunds.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Fred your money. You won't see me recommend it ever. And I totally disagree as fair market value. Totally, but hey horses for courses.

Chris Giles

Playing devils advocate...I've bought loads of lenses from ebay, no problem at all.
Most recently a HC35mm and it's as sharp as a razor. Before that a 50-110, several manual Mamiya 645 lenses.

Backs and bodies, I'd only collect used stuff in person to check unless it was new.

Fred your money. You won't see me recommend it ever. And I totally disagree as fair market value. Totally, but hey horses for courses.
I will not underestimate eBay. I have seen IQ180 to sell on eBay (I know the seller as I was trying to buy it via LL) and buyer is happy and provided feedback on LL and eBay.

When you buy from eBay, you need to do your homework and need to verify the seller's credential.

Terry

+1
My first digital back actually came from eBay. Very low shot count, still under warranty, seller was Calumet. Do your homework and eBay can be just fine.

I disagree. Just buy from sellers with 100% positive feedback that offer the right return policy. If you buy from sellers with good feedback you automatically get ebay protection.

As far as ebay being representative of prices on the market it is very representative. The items I referred to were all completed sales that also received 5 star feedback.

You can also buy locally through ebay. Just search with your local zip code.
You can often see the items in person and still complete the transaction through ebay.

eBay is a multi billion dollar company because it works.

Going back to ebay being a good way to establish used market prices.
I have at times bought gear from stores or locals and used completed listing prices to get the fair price on an item. Because eBay reaches the whole nation you get a more accurate sampling of the market.

I have had to make 2 ebay returns. Both went through no problem at all. Pay Pal even returns fees on refunds.

Guy Mancuso

I have bought and sold there many times in the past. My warning is out there ignore it if you like BUT i am entitled to my opinion just like anyone else. I have people come to me daily on advice which you need to understand. I won't endorse it unless I know the seller , just that simple.

Shashin

This may not be important for you, but not yet discussed, format. I shoot full frame. I compose in the viewfinder and I just have a really bad time with 3:2 cameras. It is either too long or not long enough. I do much better with a 4:3 frame.

The dominance of 3:2 cameras has been a really big turn off for me with digital. I own a m4/3 camera and MFD for my digital photography.

Christopher

D800 would be my current choice. It is an amazing camera and the DR and shadow cleanness is just stunning. ( that's coming from someone using a IQ180)

I can only hope MFDB catch up in sensor quality, in regards to noise and DR.

If I would only be shooting landscapes and no architecture it would be an easy choice.

eleanorbrown

Wow, amazing to hear from an iq180 user! I have the P65 plus and have the d800e on order. Looking forward to comparing the two. Eleanor
D800 would be my current choice. It is an amazing camera and the DR and shadow cleanness is just stunning. ( that's coming from someone using a IQ180)

If I would only be shooting landscapes and no architecture it would be an easy choice.

Christopher: your architecture photography is mind blowing. Will follow your blog going forward.

johnnygoesdigital

Many of you own Nikon D800 and MF Tech cameras.

May I ask what are the factors influences your decision to use a particular system, when you own both, specifically for Landscape Photography?.

I'm using my Phase One DF with IQ160 and Mamiya 75-150 "D" & 55mm. I shot some with Mamiya 28mm "D", however finally I sold it. I was thinking to move to MF technical camera for wide angles.

However since Nikon came up with 36Mp DSLR, and 35mm format has better DOF than MF, better low light performance (when required), and availability of Nikon 24mm f/3.5 PC-E, does it make any sense to invest in MF technical cameras for Landscape Photography anymore?

I would like to sit back and listen what you have to say.

Thanks,

Subrata
I think it does make sense, your IQ160 and a Alpa TC,wold make a great hiking camera. Gazwas makes note of the joy of the process, and for some, it really seems more contemplative, and thus a true art form. Landscapes images shot with these type of cameras, allow the viewer to "explore within" the photograph
Landscape photography should do just that.

torger

You need to check out the Rodenstock HR 32 -- relative large IC and extremely sharp.
thanks. I know about that lens and it is great but a little wide heavy, expensive and fragile. I hope for a super digitar 35mm from Schneider with 80-85 mm real ic at f/11, would probably not need to be as heavy or expensive as the rodie 32mm. Meanwhile it seems the old 35 is good enough.

johnnygoesdigital

Guy,

I disagree with your comments about eBay. Common sense dictates purchases only from reputable sellers with good feedback. For me, when purchasing more higher end items, the items must be within the US, or your host country. it's easier to track too. eBay is also a good place to gauge camera price indicators because there's usually more product. Supply and demand.

Guy Mancuso

Johnny its usually folks with inexperience or little common sense. I just got a paypal notice for instance that surely is a scam. It's not recognizing stuff like this is usually the problem. That's all I'm pointing out . I may list my Cambo lens to reach a broader audience myself. I'm still kind of firm on value as a guide. Just seems a lot of reasons for selling variables that bug me. For instance say someone sold something at 60 percent off retail and you need to sell the same thing. Do you really want something that went in a desperate sale to be a real guide when your going to suck wind. This value works both ways and I know the market will determine price but if the value drops so hard for non industry reasons than that disparate or hidden problem sale that a lot of people do than it creates a real issue. I'm not going to point out anything specific here but I just saw something take a huge hit when that really should not have happened. My issue is the variability of the sellers as we have no idea of the situation. That's all I am pointing out. If we go by used retail prices from retail stores and dealers it's just more of non variable issue. It's what the market will bare on a more consistent level. Johnny lets be honest for example you want to sell your H40 do you really want to deal with a sale that completely dipped below market value and you have to price accordingly when you are dealing with sale that has variability in it. It's a bad standard to go by is all I'm saying.

Just look at this forums buy and sell and let's just put in the word Leica here. Right now it's inflated pricing . It's a liitle scary but for sellers great for buyers not so great. That's a product line that needs stabilization to get back to normal value pricing. Obviously we know the reasons but it's truly over priced right now. Now you look at a dealers pricing if they have them and it's mostly at the correct pricing . It just takes out the variability of private sellers. We just know what's is driving there sale.

Guy Mancuso

Again you have to look at this also as a seller and not just a buyer and get low prices. It works both ways. Just not a big fan of eBay determining pricing.

Okay gotta run doing a really cool product demo today from a member that flew in from NY. It's really cool so I will tell you guys all about. Should be fun.
It does relate to tech cams and hopefully this is a good answer for them
Enjoy the day

dchew

D800 or MF tech camera?

I thing the difference in quality is much, much smaller than the difference in how they work in the field. Therefore, the decision should primarily be based on preferred workflow, not quality.

Personally I find working with a tech camera to be very liberating. Some people would see no lightmeter, autofocus or TTL viewing as incredibly arcane and nuts. Find out which type you prefer and do not look back!

Dave