The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D800 impact - Hasselblad cuts prices 22,9 %

kdphotography

.... Majority of the photographers who cares about hard earned money will do “cost-benefit analysis” before saying “medium format is medium format” w/o doing side by side comparison. ....However I just don’t want to chant “medium format is medium format” like “Hare Krishna, Hare Rama” without a reality check first.

Now Sinar started offering 25% “temporary off” as well. Will see whether anyone else joins the parade or not. Even if they don’t slash the price, I suspect they will offer deep discount / cash back / rebate during the sale process.

Instead of arguing and speculating further, probably now is the time to wait and watch.
And you're completely right----from an objective rational standard.

The problem is several-fold, in that individual likes/wants/desires are not always objective or rational. So when I like using a particular platform (e.g. medium format) my "enjoyment" doesn't necessarily translate into best objective choice from a cost-benefit rationale.

And to top it off, entering the world of medium format digital is (from a objective standard) a substantial investment in a diminishing return. The amount of money "invested" (dare we say that, but for spouses) over a DSLR is fantastic just in attempts to squeeze out a bit more quality: a better image for our art. A bit more quality for our clients. A bit more satisfaction for our souls. Hell, some won't see the difference. But I do. I see it. I feel it. And so at least for me, "good enough" isn't.

Objective? Rational? Loaded question when it comes to me. :ROTFL: Does it make sense (objectively/rationally) for me to get a Cambo WRS1050? Nope, not at all. But the arts ain't exactly objective either. Neither is enjoyment in photography purely objective. But I'm seeking more than the DF can provide in certain situations, like landscapes. So getting the Cambo WRS1050 works for me in my twisted little mind. :p (I was being slightly rational in my cost-beneift analysis by not getting the Cambo AE eye-candy edition or worse yet, an Alpa)

Personally, I can't help but think these "price-cuts" or "sale here!" announcements like from Hasselblad are any different than any other sale. They want you to buy. They want to move old stock, etc. It invites you in to medium format digital. It makes you think, "Oh, what a deal! This is a rational time to buy, to invest..." :ROTFL:

It's a slippery slope. It's an expensive place here in Dante's Inferno. If your subjective wants/desires closely parallel your ability to make a truly objective cost-benefit analysis, than run! Run like the wind! (Just kidding). Seriously, you're lucky if your "rational" cost-benefit analysis is the only thing that you need to make that personal decision on a camera platform or format.

:) ken

p.s. Just remember, it wasn't me (it was Guy and Doug) that said you needed (want/desire!) that Phase P45+!

Last edited:

Chris Giles

Is the P45+ all that much cop? I've heard it's still considered one of the best backs, ever. Yet it's the same sensor as the H3DII 39 (apparently).

I'm interested in moving to the 39mp regardless, and to stick with the H series however despite asking on the forum about the IQ differences, only one person piped up.

I've spent most of this morning shooting outside comparing the 5D3 to the P25 and damn the P25 is sharper but it also seemed over saturated. Initially in the preview window the 5D3 seems to have more detail until you zoom in and it's a soft mess (in comparison).

The 5D3 does recover the highlights better as do the shadows, but nothing a decent initial technique wouldn't address.

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Chris,

Interesting findings comparing the P25 to the Canon. I. Shot the P25+ myself for a while and I really appreciated the acuity of images from the big fat sensor with the available medium format glass. It may not have the resolution but 9u sensors really help with keeping the CoC large and hence better DoF and easier shooting in many situations where resolution bites you. I confess that I liked it a lot, perhaps more than even my P40+ that smoked it in other ways such as ISO and sensor+ support. That said, it was similar to my P40+ in that it was a little 'punchy' with colour, at least compared to my Aptus 65.

I love my IQ160 but to be honest if there was an IQ145 with the P45+'s long exposure abilities and the IQ UI and superb usability features then I'd buy it instead. There is the Dalsa vs Kodak rendering that I'm sure other long established P45+ shooters can comment on. Is the P45+ much cop? Well, yes generally it is. It probably is the most versatile back if you need longer exposure certainly - a higher resolution P25+ in essence. I still want one :-(

Shashin

However wouldn't you be happier if you pay $$$$$ and get everything you need in one system (high flash sync, MF / tech cam quality lenses, high ISO and AF performance)?
Actually, no. I find the limit are not confining as I don't photography everything. I stopped chasing technology a long time ago--I am responsible for my photography. I have also found the limits of the technology require interesting solutions and results I would not have found if they were not there. I am a better photographer today because of the limits placed on me.

Chris, which lens you are using with Canon 5D3?

To me, the advantage of IQ DB is focus mask. Otherwise P45+ was better except ISO performance.

If I can see the image on iPad like Leaf DB, then I will prefer P45+.

Chris Giles

I used the TS-E 24mm. I did a similar thing last week but with the 24-70 2.8 and quickly realised it wasn't fair to the 5D3.

Shashin

BTW, perhaps Hasselblad wants to clear stock before introducing the next generation of products...

Ztacir

I used do shoot with Canon 1ds mark3 with variety of L-glasses until I got my Cambo W-RS AE coupled with IQ180 and Rodenstock lenses.I also have Phase DF body and lenses but I don't touch neither of my SLR bodies but only Technical camera after i saw what a miracle you can create with this monster.
I am so happy with the shooting style,workflow and finally IQ .It's just awesome and I don't ....ing care neither Nikon D800 nor Hasselblad making discounts....

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
The link is spelled wrong. Remove everything after the TIF and you get the P25 RAW file. I found the files surprisingly close with a bit of white balance work, although the highlights are blown in the P25 image (at least under Capture One). I think the exposure was more to the right.

Thank you, Chris, for the samples!

--Matt

FredBGG

Not Available
Once color corrected they are almost identical.

It would have been interesting to see a comparison with the lenses wider open.

Chris Giles

Well this was a kind of selfish test for me. The quandry I'm in at the moment is I have this MF setup which I'm mainly looking to use for Landscapes. So my tests are going to be stopped down in the aperture dept.

My big reason for doing this is that I'm trying to toss up which one to take. The lighter 5D3 or the H1 which weighs at least twice as much, and can use film. Live View, extra functions and the like aren't a bother to me though, useful but not essential.

There's a lot more detail in the leaves on the H1 file. I've you duplicate the layers and high pass (without overlaying the result) you'll see it more clearly.

One thing I did notice though is perspective. I may be wrong but the 35mm lens on the H1 still shoots as a 35mm lens would on a 35mm body even though it's actually like a 24mm in framing. (The tree is the 'correct' size in the MF shot)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
One thing I did notice though is perspective. I may be wrong but the 35mm lens on the H1 still shoots as a 35mm lens would on a 35mm body even though it's actually like a 24mm in framing. (The tree is the 'correct' size in the MF shot)
Remember that perspective is based on your subject distance and not the focal length. When shooting the 35mm lens on the H1 you'll naturally be closer to the subject than you would be using the same lens on the DSLR for the same frame coverage. That alone will make the images look different.

If you took the same shot from the same distance using a 35mm lens and both the 35mm DSLR and the H1, and then cropped the resulting images to have the same FOV, they should look identical.

dick

It is never a surprise when Phase reduce their prices, but Sinar UK (Image to output) are offering a 25% stock clearance discount for the rest of May.

¿Want some pro Kit?