The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D800 impact - Hasselblad cuts prices 22,9 %

Stefan Steib

Hi Gerald - sure - as soon as there is another camera with 126 degrees of image angle rectilinear I´ll think about it.

:D

Stefan

gerald.d

Touché :)

Will be very interesting to see how Phase and Leaf respond to this, especially given the fact that the Credo has only just been launched.

Anyone got a handy comparison of Hassy vs Phase vs Leaf prices?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
So please tell me where it is written in any of these articles the D800 has direct relationship with price reduction. Sorry that is a terrible title Stefan. You just can't be making this **** up. Im sure this has everything to do with the industry at large and its own competition with direct competitors and also to somewhat Nikon/Canon and the rest of the industry but to point out the D800 is just flat out bad reporting. Did you even consider Hassy is A in financial trouble . B coming out with new product. C Clearing old inventory. I mean unless it is written than it is speculation. I'm sorry but I really hate bad data being posted. Please clean this up

Stefan Steib

I hate to say it, but I think the launch and pricing structure of the new Credo´s is a big mistake. They should have cut the leaf prices and do an agressive Pricing structure with the aptus backs catching the lower segment and fighting the 35mm 36MPix + X bodies to come. Now they have moved Leaf upwards and lowered their adaptability to pricecuts to fight back. The Credos may even cannibalize the IQ´s which is the second mistake as they are too feature similar.

I´m sorry, but this was not thought out well.

Regards
Stefan

Stefan Steib

Here you go Guy - this is no speculation, this is a fact:

Google Übersetzer

"
As a result of the Nikon D800 / E and the resulting euphoria caused pixel unit sales of high-quality medium-format cameras was clear in recent weeks to a halt. The medium-format manufacturers countered with price discounts. Currently there are Hasselblad cameras by up to 22% off:
It started with a Pentax dealer-related price reductions and free gifts, Hasselblad now follows up with a revised price concept. It is not yet known as Phase One / Mamiya Leaf will position themselves. The next few weeks should be interesting, for that matter. "

Stefan Steib

Guy -

just take a look, speak with _anyone_ I have been to the Canon Tour 2012 in March and to the PCP 2012 Tour during April and May here in Germany for the last 2 months and speaking with hundreds of customers in 12 german cities/Locations. It IS _A_ fact.....

Regards
Stefan

PS.: Sometimes I would wish I would be prooved wrong.........:(

V

Vivek

Would the S2/lenses prices go down?

This would be the most important question in my mind since there was an S2 vs D800 "shoot out". ;)

gerald.d

I think it's pretty clear this has been driven by the D800.

Notwithstanding the informed and educated discussion regarding the capabilities of the D800 vs MFDB, the perception out there is clear - that there's little benefit in buying into the low-end MFDB's these days. And perception is all that matters - facts are irrelevant.

Once you accept that it's extremely hard to justify the increase in price to go for a low-end Hasselblad over the Nikon, you realize that if you want to sell anything like as many of the Hasselblads as you did in the past, you're going to have to do something pretty dramatic with the price.

Once the price of one product within the range is adjusted, the pricing structure of the whole range breaks down, and you have to take a hit on every product.

Stefan Steib

Vivek

I don´t think Leica has any problems with this. They have done their homework and made the productplacement into the exact fitting market segement, the Leica customers do NOT care about the pricing, their ultimate goal is legendary performance, whatever this means - but it works !

Regards
Stefan

V

Vivek

Hi Stefan, That makes sense and also clears up my confusion about Leica opening boutique shops. :)

But then that does not explain the MM. I guess I am easily confused. :(

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I just want to be sure we are reporting correctly here. I honestly think there are several other very valid reasons and the Nikon is a contribution to it but not the only reason. Carry on

Stefan Steib

as I said before: Kudos to the strategic guys behind Leica ! They have done a tremendous job the last years ! And this will proof even more in the comparison of their MF "competition". They will never compete with a large volume maker, instead they do exclusive low volume, high price ,high margin. Perfect ! I´m proud the german Photoindustry has reinvented their guts to compete internationally !

Regards
Stefan