Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mamiya ZD body - anybody here using one?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Mamiya ZD body - anybody here using one?

Quote Originally Posted by John Black View Post
    Added a quick update along with several ZD raw files for download.
    John,

Tried to download the raw files but none of the links are working.

Thanks,

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Quentin - Yep, it's my list of things to do. I like the new C1 version 4 layout and feel pretty comfortable with it. I think I could develop a better color profile than Phase One's "Mamiya ZD Generic". I know SilkyPix (and Raw Developer too?) gets great reviews for the ZD files.

Guy - the P25 was tested on three different 645AFDII's (and a AFD) with several different 80mm's (and 110mm & 200mm). All results had sensor cast. Phase One's response - that's normal and to use the LCC function. In the upper image the cast starts in the upper right hand corner spreads out like a puddle towards the center. Lower image has a LCC file applies to it.

I had 1000's of images with the exact same cast pattern. They all had it in the same location. Even high key shots on a white background showed the cast. Call it luck of the draw or whatever you like, but a spade is a spade.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea that is weird
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quentin, you and John both should try the latest version of RAW Developer on your ZD files. The difference is pretty amazing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Chuck

Its Mac only, is it not? I'm on a PC, so no dice for me unfortunately.

Quentin
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    Chuck

Its Mac only, is it not? I'm on a PC, so no dice for me unfortunately.

Quentin
    Quentin, yep, Mac only. But probably worth the cost of entry to a used Mac system just to be able to use it. Just my opinion, others may vary.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Chuck, it's on the never-ending "to do" list I've heard good things about both these programs. SilkyPix is supposedly good for portrait type work, but not for landscapes, etc due to the "paintery effect".

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Chuck, it's on the never-ending "to do" list I've heard good things about both these programs. SilkyPix is supposedly good for portrait type work, but not for landscapes, etc due to the "paintery effect".
    John,

Turn down NR in SilkyPix and the the painterly effect is eliminated.

What I like about SilkyPix are the colours and the comprehensive workflow, including perspective control and lens correction (not just CA, but barrel and pincusion distortion) built in.
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like

I tried RAW Developer - very different look than C1 v4.1.x. RAW Developer is an exercise in subtlety. C1's changes are very broad and quick; RAW Developer can be tuned considerably more - all in very fine levels. Information overload at the moment...

Quentin, I'll try SilkyPix this week. I'm still trying to wrap my head around RAW Developer - it's like loading a whole new film into a camera. I think I had RAW Develop on the computer for the M8. Not sure why I had it...

Post Thanks / Like

Chuck - is there a forum that specializes in RAW Developer? The help file is on the thin side and I'm trying to understand what several parameters do. Thus far I've used RD a couple times with the ZD, but mostly for the M8. I have to say, for the M8 it's been an impressive application. I ran some 1Ds3 files through it too and preliminary results look nice also.

Post Thanks / Like

For those following any of this; these shots were processed with RAW Developer (version 1.8.1). The RAW Developer GUI needs some work and added functions, but the RAW engine itself does very nicely. Click on the images for a larger version. I'm still learning RAW Developer and will write something up in a couple weeks after putting some more images through it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice Great colours.
    Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Quentin - I'm still wrapping my head around the raw conversion options; SilkyPix is on the "to do" list, but I haven't tried it yet. Thus far, I'd say C1 is best for "Black and Bright" - meaning very contrasty images, dark blacks, bright highlights, not much in the middle. RAW Developer is "Meaty Mid-tones". Its images can be contrasty with an S-curve edit in the curves panel, but the "native" look has lots and lots of mid-tone action. In a way it's like film; if I want Velvia, go with C1. If something more subtle, denser is in order, then RAW Developer. C1's GUI is much sexier. RAW Developer is a deep application with more options. C1 goes quickly, RAW Developer goes slower because you can really finesse the image. I'm not sure if one app is my favorite over the other. They are very different, so I could probably make equally strong arguments for either app - at least for my workflow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Quentin - I'm still wrapping my head around the raw conversion options; SilkyPix is on the "to do" list, but I haven't tried it yet. Thus far, I'd say C1 is best for "Black and Bright" - meaning very contrasty images, dark blacks, bright highlights, not much in the middle. RAW Developer is "Meaty Mid-tones". Its images can be contrasty with an S-curve edit in the curves panel, but the "native" look has lots and lots of mid-tone action. In a way it's like film; if I want Velvia, go with C1. If something more subtle, denser is in order, then RAW Developer. C1's GUI is much sexier. RAW Developer is a deep application with more options. C1 goes quickly, RAW Developer goes slower because you can really finesse the image. I'm not sure if one app is my favorite over the other. They are very different, so I could probably make equally strong arguments for either app - at least for my workflow.
    John

I started using Raw Developer about two years ago at Alain Briot's and Uwe Steinmeullers printing summit (at that time in Page Az.) Many of the attendees had been using it and were thrilled and anxious to share how to get the most from it. Brian Griffiths has done a very very good job with this relatively simple program.

No doubt you can spend much more and get a program that is far more feature rich. But I doubt you can find a program which does a better raw conversion and at the price a super bargain!

By all means look at all that is available...............just don't leave raw developer out of the mix. If you do you will really be sorry. I think C1 does a great job but the workflow is complicated and you ultimately find yourself exhausted following working on a few hundred files.

I think Silkypix is a pretty good alternative as is LR2. But if you take the time to learn RD you may find yourself a dedicated convert. Try it.............you might really like it.

Best

Woody Spedden

Post Thanks / Like

I bought RAW Developer a couple weeks ago and have been working my way through it. I've put probably a 1000+ images through RD so far. I wouldn't say C1 or RD is categorically better than the other, each have their pro's and con's. RAW Developer is a deep application, thus I wish their documentation was deeper. It's been alot of trial and error trying to figure out what some of the controls do.

Post Thanks / Like

A picture of the ZD with the relatively new 80mm F2.8 "D". Worked fine on the ZD without a firmware update The original 80mm F2.8 is in the background.

Post Thanks / Like

I Agree
    Quote Originally Posted by elgreco View Post
    A few weeks ago I bought a used Mamiya ZD and have been overwhelmed by what this marvellous camera is able to deliver in terms of picture quality. From my point of view, there is nothing wrong with your decision to buy one, Thomas.

Before the ZD I had been shooting with a Hasselblad 503 CW both analogue and digital with the CFD digital back. Compared with the latter, the ZD is a great step forward.

What I like best about it:
    • The compact size
    • User interface like a modern DSLR
    • Picture quality (ZD and lenses work well together)
    • The ZD and C1 4 Pro are a great combination
    • Speed is very good for a MF camera
    • Image format comparable to my Plaubel Makina 67

What I dislike:
    • Very tiny display that's hardly usable.
    • ISO 250 is critical, ISO 400 is unusable.
    • The included software is a joke
    • Aperture cannot read ZD RAW files

In a nutshell, I am pretty sure that you will keep your Mamiya ZD for quite some time as it's form factor and image quality are simply addictive.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree 100%

Post Thanks / Like

I have Mamiya ZD.
    Exelent Camera

Post Thanks / Like

Agree 100%

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have a ZD, too. But I don't understand, why you answer again and again in a Thread from 2008...