The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

P40+ with AFD body

Pics2

How it feels like to look through AFD body viewfinder when crop sensor is in use (P30, 40, IQ140)? Since Guy Mancuso gave up DF body for this reason(at least it was one of them), is it hard to get used to? I'm used to 100% view with Canon, that's the way I compose picture. Is it better to go with larger sensor back for this reason?
I already bought AFD body, 80D and 120D. There are a lot more questions to be asked before I decide on the back. This is just one. Thanks!

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
If you have the crop sensor VF mask fitted then what you'll see is a rectangle within the frame that represents the region that the sensor will capture.

The challenge for some people is that they get used to used to using the entire frame for composition, particularly when shooting fast. Basically they forget to compose within the marked smaller rectangle or dislike that process. This wouldn't be an issue if the edges of the VF mask were blacked out but typically there's just a fine line.

On the flip side, some people aren't bothered by this at all and actually may prefer the cropped VF rectangle as it allows you to see beyond the captured region and see what leads in or out of the frame, kind of like how it is with a rangefinder VF.

Personally, I found it pretty easy to get used to the cropped VF and so it was not a hinderance in day to day use. It's certainly true that with a 'full frame' sensor it's easier because what you see is what you get and you don't have to worry about shooting within the frame or even think about it. The hardest thing is if you swap between other full frame DLSR cameras and the AFD/DF with the cropped sensor mask. If you do this a lot then it is simple to forget about shooting within the frame in which case you'll end up mis-cropping the image.

What I would recommend is getting a real etched VF mask for the back if you get a cropped back. Typically your MFDB will come with a drop in VF mask that goes between the focus screen and the prism and it looks kind of crude compared to the sharp etched focus screen option - it may or not bother you.

Btw, there can be some advantages with the cropped sensor backs too. You don't have to worry so much about the corner performance of the lenses and so your choice of glass can be easier.

Hope that rambling description helps ...

Last edited:

adamduckworth

I have a P40+ and swop between DSLR and Phase and do sometimes mis-crop. Mainly due to sometimes it's hard to see where the mask lines are, especially with a dark background.

Where can I get a "real etched VF mask" as Graham suggests? Any in the UK?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
For my P40+/Aptus 65 I used these:

Mamiya:
252-22783A Focusing Screen Type A SP303 44x33 (Mfr number 324482)

Leaf:
252-22782A Mamiya focusing screen 44x33

There are also VF screens for 36 x 48 etc for other crops.

Where to get them? Try your Phase/Mamiya/Leaf dealer otherwise I guess google is your friend ... :D

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
When I shot the DF after about a year with the P40 and P30 before that I just got tired of dealing with screen crop. I could not always see the crop and shooting as fast as I do sometimes it final got to me. So I went IQ 160 for full frame . Okay I'm crazy but just went back to a crop in a IQ 140 like a nut case but I'm not shooting the DF now but a tech cam. So it really don't matter much but I actually pick up a small advantage given its a crop and I can move back to what a FF framing is u get a little extra movements . And the LCC correct has a little less work . Now that's given with the 160 I had a 18 mm 35 view on my 28 now I have a 22 and if I can move back I get a little extra movements

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
I was going to ask you about how the crop affected your 28 as I am seriously considering getting one for super wide shots. I bet that lens would be great in Antelope Canyon.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Let you know be here Friday. I'm betting I get 4mm of movement more. I may come out ahead on this.

djonesii

Workshop Member
I have a P30+ and AFD-II with mask.

I seem to recall two rectangles within the view finder.

Generally, I'm not shooting that fast, lets say max 10-15 frames in a pose, and 3-4 minutes to shoot it, at that kind of rate, the frame lines have never been an issue. This is in studio/strobe setting.

Painting with a very broad brush, given that I work with all levels of models, I really never have problems with them either moving out of the single point focus comfort zone, or with the crop. I will add that all my work is fine art figure, so once I get the model in the light I want, moving them 1/2 and inch here and there is what I really need from them.

If I were shooting fashion glamour, flamaour glashion or what ever the term is these days, my setup might not work so well .....

I did just shoot swim team portraits for my kids team, and looking at the results from a D300 I wonder why I even bothered ..... Should have done the whole thing with the P30+ it would have been more than up to the focus/speed/framing needs. The team shot would have been great for the 35mm lens .... I have a feeling that given nothing bigger than an 8X10 is needed, and most if not all parents have at best and AFC canikon with a kit lens that IQ of the D300 24-70 2.8 will be fine, but it bothers ME looking at mush in post.

Dave