The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

OMG -HassyH3D22 versus RedEpic - the end of Photography ?

FredBGG

Not Available
The Red image is no where near as clean and crisp as the Hasselblad image.

Look at the fine hair near the temple and the detail of the eyebrows and eyelashes.

Detail is significantly better with the Hasselblad than with the red. Also more color artifacts in the hair with the Red.

Then there is the issue of ergonomics and ease of use. The Red is a jigsaw puzzle of components. Red cameras are not stable.

I recently worked on a production with a Red camera. Damn pain in the ***.

Arri Alexa is a serious stable and predictable camera.

Stefan Steib

Fred

actually I don´t think Red is really the device we should speak about as a competition for the photo market here. I know the thread started with this.
But to you and all the others: What about the GoPro Hero HD2 ?
(for those who don´t know it www.gopro.com )
THIS is the real threat that I don´t hear a substantial answer by the photo industry ! Give it maybe 2 years maybe 4 and they will do 4k. You know it´s coming, it does not matter if this is double triple or 10 times the actual price.

It´s about the possible content, Video, Photo, Timelapse a whole system with underwater, fittings to varioust uses and it´s cheap and small.

I have already seen content by GoPro´s used here in german television, even marked as this as cut in between shots with highend stuff, showing the go pros hanging off surfboards, cars and other places. Some time ago you would have been thrown out of the station if even mentioning using stuff like this !

And yes - this is the end of Photography as we do it (for these purposes!). It´s a hybrid and none of the users care the tiniest little bit about which mode they are in as long as they get the content they want.

It´s the content...........nothing else that counts !

Regards
Stefan

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Have one for my kid . Just got him one for dirt bike riding for his graduation to high school. But seriously this is for consumers and notin the advertising world some of us live in. This is no threat and who says a Pro can't get a hundred of these and do something creative. Good for them I could care less about the hardware it's how we use is it what counts. These things are a means to a end as a shooter whatever works is really our only concern. These are concerns for OEMs to deal with keep up or get buried alive. This is business like any other field. Be competitive put out a good product and back it up. Epic is a specialized tool just like MF there will always be a need for these tools to some degree at least.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Well, they are used in advertising. Red Bull is using it a lot (several new videos every week), and they sell a product that wouldn't exist without proper advertising. But at this stage of development, it's probably taking more business from the likes of Nikon D4. Not because it can replace such a camera, but because the footage and images can replace much of the footage and images that would have been taken with a D4. And when it comes to Red Bull, their action photos and footage are something that comes instead of more static images shot with a Hasselblad or a Mamiya.

The most important competitors aren't necessarily those who shoot the same with different equipment, but those who shoot something different, using another technology.

Play the sample video on their front page in HD, full screen. It's rather convincing coming from a $300 camera. Apart from the rolling shutter, it would have been rather convincing from a $3,000 or a $30,000 camera as well, not for photographers, but for those that it's aimed at; hip young people with a need for adrenalin kicks.

Stefan Steib

right - the iPhone and all the smartphones with better and better cameras.

I wait for the Nokia N808 to appear, I´m really, really curious about how this will proof in reality and as production models. I didn´see any samples of videos from the preproduction stuff, if the zoom with the frames placed with your finger does work in the video mode, this could be really interesting.

Regards
Stefan