The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ External Power

OK, just in case anyone else searches this, here's my final configuration:
- An Energizerpowerpack's 18,000 ma/h (18A/h!) pack
- A two port powered firewire hub and cable. As the only cable I could find has essentially a built in hub with two 6 pin firewire ports, I also purchased a 6 to 9 pin cable that runs directly to the back (~US$25). There are better cables out there but could not buy them directly in HK (Google firewire power injection cable).
- A special adapter (seems only available in HK) that plugs directly to my macbook power. (the website of that company lists something that powers using the mac air travel adapter, what I picked up is much nicer, straight into the magsafe socket)
- You can also plug a USB cable direct to the pack but it I suspect the 5v is not enough for the IQ
- As well as camera back and Macbook, I can also use it to charge my iPad, other USB devices and even the haehnel charger for my IQ. The really great thing here is I only need to carry this pack with it's power supply and I can leave all my other chargers at home when travelling!!! because everything plugs into this device.
- Note: I could not power up the IQ back plugged into this setup, however once powered up it would run with and without the internal battery. Maybe the current draw is too large at startup for the cable electronics! Not sure.

The powerpack comes with a little pouch. I double tied the knots and hang it on the tripod.

Here you can see the electronics box on the powered firewire cable with the power plugged in and the orange charging light on the IQ.

And here with my normal charger plugged in (sorry for the poor shot, just a quick ISO1600 on our dining table):

I didn;t show the macbook power adapter, it's just a simple magsafe adapter that plugs on the power cable as pictured above