The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ External Power

Hi All,

Anyone have some suggestions for extenal power supplies to the IQ back?

In particular when used on a tech cam, I keep having issues with wake up and when using zero-latency it eats batteries.

Many thanks
Paul

yatlee

Canon has a dual battery charger that double up as external power supply (with 2 BP-911 or larger batteries).

FredBGG

Not Available
Hi All,

In particular when used on a tech cam, I keep having issues with wake up and when using zero-latency it eats batteries.

Many thanks
Paul
This is what you want:

It has a cable with battery shaped connector on the end.
You can attach two Canon camcorder batteries to it and even keep them warm in your pocket. It also doubles as an extra twin battery charger.

I have one for sale that I am selling with a phase one v-grip I have for sale.

Phase One V-grip Air, Canon CH-910 (dual charger and external battery pack) and two silver 2,000 mAH batteries (new) $ 950

The V-Grip and Charger are mint. The Batteries are new.

Just charger (dual charger and external battery pack) and batteries $ 240

You can stick two of these on:

Lenmar - Lithium-Ion Battery - LIC924

Will give you a total of 8000 mAH

Sony no longer makes or sells this charger.

Last edited:

cunim

Hi All,

Many thanks
Paul
Easiest solution is an external battery. I shoot for hours with LV and zero latency.

Tekkeon - myPower ALL, MP3300/MP3400/MP3450
I prefer the MP3450i, which is stabilized and has a fixed voltage set by a dip switch. On some other units you have to select the voltage every time you turn them on - one of those annoying little tasks. Make sure to order the firewire socket adapter. This allows you to plug the battery directly into the back when you are not tethered. I use a second 3450 to power a Rollei shutter on the studio camera.
FireWire Socket Adapter - Tekkeon, Inc.

In the field, untethered, I generally tape the battery to the tripod and use a 6' fw800 cable to connect to the IQ.

FredBGG

Not Available
I would avoid two things here.
I would not use the firewire socket for anything other than shooting tethered.
I would not go near an expensive back like the IQ series with a third party power supply that has adjustable power voltage. One mistake and you can fry the fire wire circuit in the camera. 19V would fry your back.
The Canon power supply is a safer way to go. No possibility of problems because it is connecting the very same batteries that they are designed for.

There are two on ebay right now. Just search for Canon CH-910

The Canon even allows for battery hot swapping.

cunim

I would avoid two things here.
I would not use the firewire socket for anything other than shooting tethered.
I would not go near an expensive back like the IQ series with a third party power supply that has adjustable power voltage. One mistake and you can fry the fire wire circuit in the camera. 19V would fry your back.
The Canon power supply is a safer way to go. No possibility of problems because it is connecting the very same batteries that they are designed for.

There are two on ebay right now. Just search for Canon CH-910

The Canon even allows for battery hot swapping.
Fred, you may be worrying too much. This is a topic forever in the Hasselblad world because Blads do not have a battery in the back. Lots of solutions have been developed.

No problem feeding quality power via firewire to the back. The tethering computer will usually do the same (unless you are using the micro-style FW400 connector). When we finally get USB3, that will also feed power to the back via that connector.

The point about the possibility of a voltage mistake is important. The safest thing to do is to pick a battery that has a fixed output. On the Tekkeon 3450i this is done via a recessed dip switch that lives under a rubber cover. Yes I suppose you might make a mistake in setting the dip but the setting diagram is right on the battery. All in all, a well designed unit.

I wonder what input voltage would actually damage the back. On the Blad I played with the 12-14V range, but on the IQ I just set it (12V) and forget it.

The Canon does look like a good solution if you have a wall plug available.

vjbelle

The problem with the Canon power supply is that the insert doesn't stay inside the battery compartment of an IQ. I have that power supply and tried to use it..... yes it will power the back... and no it will not stay inserted into the battery compartment. Some workaround is necessary.

Victor

dick

Hasselblad H4D-60 External Power

Fred, you may be worrying too much. This is a topic forever in the Hasselblad world because Blads do not have a battery in the back. Lots of solutions have been developed.

No problem feeding quality power via firewire to the back. The tethering computer will usually do the same .
Hasselblad promised us a clip-on power pack for the H4D-60... ¿but it seems that this is now just vapourware?

I wonder if it would be possible to use this connection for powering the back?

...or it must be a firewire solution.

¿Do they all work for the Hasselblad or which is best for when I am using a view camera but not tethered?

My Sinar 54H digiback is tethered only, so the problem/option does not occur!

cunim

Re: Hasselblad H4D-60 External Power

Hasselblad promised us a clip-on power pack for the H4D-60... ¿but it seems that this is now just vapourware?

I wonder if it would be possible to use this connection for powering the back?

...or it must be a firewire solution.

¿Do they all work for the Hasselblad or which is best for when I am using a view camera but not tethered?

My Sinar 54H digiback is tethered only, so the problem/option does not occur!
I had an H3D50, which I powered with the same battery and FW connector that I am now using with the IQ back. I also used it with an H4D50MS for a brief time (amazing camera). Both single and MS acquisition on view cameras ran with the external battery for long periods of time. In fact, I do not remember ever draining the Tekkeon battery.

I do less tethered shooting now because of the IQ, but it is the same as before with the Blad. To run the back tethered from a laptop PC (no power on the FW connector), I use a Sonnet FW800 xpresscard adapter. I plug the external battery into it. I use a second battery to power the Rollei LCS. With the battery plugged into the FW card, the laptop is providing power on the FW connection just as if you were using a standard FW port on a desktop computer. If you are on a tripod, any number of batteries can live in a bag dangling from the hook.

There are various FW adapters and external batteries. Really, it is all pretty routine once you get the bits.

Paul2660

Interesting solution, which unit was it? the 18000? Also which cable are you using to run to the firewire port? I looked at the 18000 on line and I can't see if it has a firewire port output.

Thanks
Paul

Paul
Yes the 18000, it's plugged into the USB port at the moment. Will not power the back from here. The power indicator is showing but the orange charging light is not on (in fact i left it plugged in overnight and can confirm it did not charge).

The manual says this:
Battery Charging
The IQ back has an integrated battery charger to ensure that the battery is charged when shooting tethered via a USB or FireWire connection. This function can be switched off or set to Slow or Fast. The Slow and Off settings should be chosen to preserve the battery life of a laptop when shooting tethered.

N.B. The battery will only charge via a USB or FireWire connection when the IQ back is switched on. Only after it has been switched on, will it continue to charge when it is turned off. Battery charging is indicated by an orange LED on the rear of the IQ back when it has been turned off.
Will provide further updates shortly.

Paul

Ok, further update. The USB connection is not charging the back, nor providing any power at all even though the icon with the power symbol is there. The orange charge light is not on.

I can charge via the Haehnel twin charger though, so it's a partial solution, but far from using live view and zero latency with reckless abandon. I will get a firewire power injection cable soon.

Sorry this is turning into a suck it and see post. Not much choice unless I want to start spending $60-100 to ship items across the world. Fine normally but kind of loses value quickly if anything goes wrong, this device I can get local warranty support in HK, the powerpacks are made in ShenZhen which is just up the road ... just in case anyone was wondering, why try this!!

Paul

FredBGG

Not Available
The problem with the Canon power supply is that the insert doesn't stay inside the battery compartment of an IQ. I have that power supply and tried to use it..... yes it will power the back... and no it will not stay inserted into the battery compartment. Some workaround is necessary.

Victor
Thanks for pointing this out. I guess the IQ180 uses a different battery lock on latch than the P series.