The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya Announces New MF Digital Camera System

fotografz

Personally, I think what turns adult conversations into debates, even heated arguments, are empirical declarative claims of superiority in support of purchase choice. By doing so, intended or not, it discounts the choices of others as if they were dolts for selecting something other than the "best MF camera."

Personally, I did not find the Hy6 to be the "best" anything, and I have pretty much used all the major systems also. For certain criteria it may fit someone's needs better, but for others it may not. I found it clumsy and slow for my personal way of shooting, where for others it may fit them like a glove. If you are a shooter in need of higher shutter speeds, then it is far from the best MF system at all.

Dale Allyn

Jack, is there some way to do it that leaves Thierry's previous posts intact? I have been reading some older threads, and some are completely disjointed now, and the page numbering is off...
Ouch! If the process of removing Thierry's account (at his request) has also removed all of his posts, then there is an unfortunate loss of information that would be useful to people trying to understand these systems. I stumbled upon such a thread, so it appears that, in fact, this is the case – at least for the one thread I was reading.

carstenw

By the way, this very thread is one of the problem threads. Note that it says there are three pages, but only the first two are accessible? Somewhere in the system, Thierry's posts are still being counted, although not displayed.

[EDIT] and of course, the act of posting this caused the third page to be created. Ack. There are others, however. Try searching for "Sinar 54 LV" and go to some of the last pages in those threads.

J

jmvdigital

I was just noticing this last night. The "show your MF work" thread was doing the same thing.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I will have Jack check this out, there was a version update 2 nights ago and some things go whacky sometines

Guy Mancuso

Personally, I think what turns adult conversations into debates, even heated arguments, are empirical declarative claims of superiority in support of purchase choice. By doing so, intended or not, it discounts the choices of others as if they were dolts for selecting something other than the "best MF camera."

Personally, I did not find the Hy6 to be the "best" anything, and I have pretty much used all the major systems also. For certain criteria it may fit someone's needs better, but for others it may not. I found it clumsy and slow for my personal way of shooting, where for others it may fit them like a glove. If you are a shooter in need of higher shutter speeds, then it is far from the best MF system at all.
It did not work for me very well at all. I am much more tuned to the Phase , Hassy and even the Contax body. Too many years with a SLR type camera

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack, is there some way to do it that leaves Thierry's previous posts intact? I have been reading some older threads, and some are completely disjointed now, and the page numbering is off...
Carsten, yes there certainly is. However in addition to demanding we deactivate his membership, Thierry requested we remove all of his posts. The most efficient way for me to accommodate that was to temporarily "hide" them, just in case he cools off and has a change of heart then decides he to come back. If I do a hard delete of his posts then the page numbering will correct itself, but I am trying to avoid that for now.

OTOH, we do technically own the posts, so I guess I could just unhide them regardless of what his request was... He would however then appear as "banned" or "guest" depending on how I more permanently de-activated his account. Give me some time to noodle on this, trying to accommodate everybody's best interests here. Feedback welcome.

EDIT UPDATE: Thierry has requested his account be closed. His wishes have been complied with.

Thanks for your patience,

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Marc,

As usual, all I can say is perfectly stated -- on both accounts!

:thumbs:,

Guy Mancuso

Speaking of Mamiya , got a e-mail from Phase One this morning advertising the P30 plus with Body and 80 mm lens for 19,900.00. Obviously this is the posted number from Phase One. Check with dealer on what you actually write the check for. LOL

I think in all these systems the posted price is never realized and less when you actually write the check. It's nice to see the prices but I think it is fair to say that is not what you pay with any of them. Good to have the ballpark numbers though

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Speaking of Mamiya , got a e-mail from Phase One this morning advertising the P30 plus with Body and 80 mm lens for 19,900.00. Obviously this is the posted number from Phase One. Check with dealer on what you actually write the check for. LOL

I think in all these systems the posted price is never realized and less when you actually write the check. It's nice to see the prices but I think it is fair to say that is not what you pay with any of them. Good to have the ballpark numbers though
FYI though please keep in mind that with all of these newer discounted advertised prices the manufacturers are taking away from the margins that the dealers usually receive.

When speaking with one of the marketing guys from one of the companies that recently dropped MAP prices he said that people were getting discounts already, and that all the promos they were doing and trade ins were costing money so now there is a one price policy, of course at the sacrificing of margins on the dealer end.

As a reseller this puts us in a precarious position because some of that margin actually go to paying our staff to support these products. Having technical experts on staff is not cheap. Yes the market needs to grow, but the manufactures need to be careful because who will provide the support if there is no money to subsidize it. Most if not all offer support do not directly support the end users, they rely on the channel (people like us). I guess it is expected when you purchase a DSLR over the counter that there will be limited support, plus at those prices people may buy a spare.

So buyer beware at the price point you purchase a system because price is only one component.

I can only speak for myself, but I want to be in business to support our end-users in the future and there has to be a business model to sustain it.

When and were we can discount we will.....

I hope you all understand.

L

EH21

What I think is funny about all that back and forth about the Hy6/Sinar stuff is that I know Guy will end up with one in the end because of the glass. LOL!

Last edited:

EH21

Okay maybe but you'll have to sell that RZ system that you don't have yet but you know you have to try before you buy the Leica!

Guy Mancuso

LOL. I do want to try out that RZ setup. I start a big interior job tomorrow for the next two days. See how everything goes with that but my office is basically in my SUV right now. So all my Elinchroms i switched too last month and my new Mamiya 28 will get a nice workout. Hopefully I will too. I love getting out there with EVERYTHING and shoot. Look for images later in the week. I was hoping to get a P65 Plus to try out on this project but hopefully that will come soon. Perfect gig for it too

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
LOL. I do want to try out that RZ setup. I start a big interior job tomorrow for the next two days. See how everything goes with that but my office is basically in my SUV right now. So all my Elinchroms i switched too last month and my new Mamiya 28 will get a nice workout. Hopefully I will too. I love getting out there with EVERYTHING and shoot. Look for images later in the week. I was hoping to get a P65 Plus to try out on this project but hopefully that will come soon. Perfect gig for it too
Dude, the P65+ is probably too much camera for you --- so it's coming here first...

:ROTFL:

:D,

Guy Mancuso

Hey it works better with shorter people ( need to read the fine print on the marketing promo's and i don't quote the P65 is made for folks that are vertically challenged since the back works better with a low center of gravity to the ground, that's me . end of unquote). Besides we are going on a road trip with that thing and really give it a whirl between us. Name the place i will be there.:D:D:D

I think Lance is the security guard . Going to need one too. LOL