The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

RZ67 Pro IID Cable Releases

Transposure

Hi All,
I currently have the dual cable release for the RZ67 Pro IID. It works to raise the mirror and then trigger the shutter in a two stage button press. The mirror lockup ability, to reduce shake effects from the mirror, is a necessity for me.

I was looking at the Electromagnetic Cable Release (ECR) as a possible replacement and have the following questions.....

Does the ECR have the same two-stage mirror-lockup/shutter-release capability as the twin cable device?

If the ECR is a single stage release, raising the mirror & triggering the shutter in one operation, is there another way to lock up the mirror and still use the ECR?

I have searched the Internet and this forum and can't seem to find this answer. I prefer the ECR to the manual dual-cable release.

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

As far as I know (I don't own one) ECR is just another way of triggering the camera and has nothing to do with mirror up. You can use it, but for mirror up you still a regular cable release attached to the lens.

Transposure

Thanks Mark. It sounds like you are 90% sure, and your reasoning makes sense.

I would still appreciate hearing from someone with direct experience with the two cables, or one, or the other. Just to be 100% sure.

Hypothetically, if what you say is true, would I be able to screw a small stud (sans cable) into the lens port and then use the ECR to trigger the shutter?

I just prefer the ECR over the dual cable release.

fotophil

My recollection is that upon threading a cable release into the socket on the lens, the shutter button on the body releases the mirror and the cable release releases the shutter. I think the electronic cable also releases the mirror. Mamiya has a tech hot line support in their eEast Coast Office which will know the answer for sure.

MaxKißler

I am most certain that you will not be able to use the mirror up feature without a mechanical cable release. The MUP socket in the lens has to be risen so that the red line is visible in order to work accordingly. Screwing something in there won't help as this socket has to be utilized to fire the shutter. Of course you can screw in a normal mechanical cable release and raise the mirror with the ECR, then fire the shutter with the mechanical cable release. But this is not a huge improvement over the dual-cable release...

JMotzi

Mirror lockup mode on the RZ is active when a mechanical release cable is screwed into the socket on the lens. The presence of this cable essentially prevents the shutter from being tripped when the usual shutter button (or electromechanical release) is triggered. So it's a two step process: (1) press the shutter button (or the ECR) to raise the mirror, the after waiting a few sec for vibrations to subside, (2) use the mechanical release screwed into the lens to trip the shutter and make the exposure. I usually wait about 5 sec just like I do when using mirror lockup on my DSLR.

The "L-O" switch on teh ECR is merely a lock to prevent the ECR from detatching.

JM