The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

RZ67 Pro IID and Capture One: Where is aperture data?

Transposure

As I am getting myself up to speed using C1, I realized that the aperture data is missing in C1 when I use the RZ67 Pro IID and any of the lenses. The shutter speed and ISO are present, but the focal length and aperture value are both missing.

I am using Capture One v.6.4.2.

Does C1 show aperture and focal length with this setup? Is there a setting or preference that I missed?

Thanks in advance!

Transposure

Thanks Mark.

Why do you input the lens focal length on the back though? Wouldn't it seem reasonable that the back translates that data into the EXIF data?

And what is the reason the aperture isn't translated to the back?

Anyone?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Why do you input the lens focal length on the back though? Wouldn't it seem reasonable that the back translates that data into the EXIF data?

And what is the reason the aperture isn't translated to the back?

Anyone?
On the RZ the aperture and lens focal length are not communicated from the lens to the body and therefore cannot be communicated to the back to be written into the metadata. In a system like the DF the lens and aperture are communicated electronically via a chip in the lens; no such chip is present in the lens.

In order to accomplish automatic insertion of the aperture and FL in the metadata that they would have to re-release new versions of all the RZ lenses with the only benefit being aperture/FL in the EXIF which I imagine was not deemed a priority compared to other projects.

They could have also implemented something like what Leica did with the m8 and m9 where the lens is given a barcode and the body is given a scanner and thereby the lens focal length is known to the body, and then used an estimation of the aperture based on amount of light passing through the lens versus an external sensor. But that was done on the M series largely to provide in-camera corrections of the LCC issues associated with wide angles on a body without a mirror box.

As a side note the more mechanical, old school nature of the RZ is why most of our RZ customers are picking that body.

Transposure

Doug,
As always, you are a wealth of knowledge. So, riddle me this....(LOL)....
There is a input field within the GUI of the back for the lens used. I have entered the fixed focal lengths of the various lenses with each lens change and, yet, they do not appear in the EXIF data. Why is that? If I am manually entering the data into the back, wouldn't that be available for Capture One to claim and output with the captures?
Thanks!
Ken

yaya

Hi Ken, if you enter the lens's focal length on the back it should appear in the metadata in Capture One and/ or Leaf Capture. If it doesn't there there could be a bug there so can I ask that you create a support case and give us as much info about your setup: firmware on the back, version of the software etc.
Contact Support

Thanks!

yair

Last edited:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
What he said. :)

Also, I've seen several users enter the information on the digital back but not push the green checkmark save button. That was with the old GUI; without a back in my hand I can't remember if the same thing (entering the info but not pushing save) is possible with the new GUI.

Actually the Aptus II backs DO have a bug when it comes to focal length! In RZ67 mode (with a sync cable) FL is written in EXIF. In RZ67 IID mode the FL is ignored and left blank.

Transposure

Hey Guys,
Thanks for the continued feedback!
To respond to your comments....

Yair:
The lens focal length field is always blank. It is blank in the C1 information pane and it is blank at the lower left corner of the photo where this data is typically duplicated.

Doug:
I definitely confirmed/saved the focal length on the back when I changed it. We can eliminate that from the list of possible issues. I have also contacted P1 with a support ticket about this issue. They asked for a sample file. Awaiting their reply.

Mark:
Thanks. I am not sure what you mean when you say "RZ67 mode" and "RZ67 IID mode", unless you are simply referring to the two different cameras. The Leaf back did not operate when I chose RZ67 as the camera. I was told to choose Mamiya 645DF/645AFD as the camera selection on the back to allow it to function properly. Very odd.

Considering the prices of these pieces of equipment, one would think they have all of these nuances worked out....

Any other thoughts?

If its blank thats "normal". I put it in quotes because I would consider it being blank a bug :)
Are you using an Aptus or Aptus II back? Its confusing because there are so many different modes you can operate the RZ with. To clarify: On an Aptus II you can set the lens focal length manually in the back. Then in the camera selection menu, if you choose RZ67 the focal length will be recorded in EXIF (for this to work you need a nonelectronic adapter with a sync cable). Since you are using the IID with the electronic adapter, it is correct to choose RZ67 IID in the camera menu (but 645AFD also works). In this case focal length is left blank.