The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Dont try this at home....

Nathan W. Lediard

So there I am doing a little photoshoot on the beach with my H4d-40... I change a lens and suddenly get a message that there is no communication with the back.. I take off the lens and put it back on, no joy.. turn camera off, back on.. no joy.. ok.. I will loosen the back (without taking it all the way off) and that will do the trick... so I sit down and carefully take off the finder... place it on my camerabag and loosen the back... at which point I see the finder sliding off the bag... intinctivly I reach out to grab it... leaving the back hanging by the hinge.. well you can see what happens now... the back falls.. lands on my shin, des a back flip and lands sensor down on the limestone chippings the beach is made off...:eek: :eek: :eek: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: I nearly puked...

My dealer says he will get a loaner to me on tuesday (holiday here monday, to his credit he answered my somewhat panicked sms on a sunday!)

here is the damage to the IR filter... it shows at f2.8!! here at a much smaller aperture to really show off what a clutz I am....

Have nightmares about this with the IQ back. The catch on it doesn't seem secure enough to me. I'm looking for things to wedge into it.

At least it's a simple repair (if there's any way to make you feel better).

Shashin

Oddly enough, I would not try that anywhere. I feel your pain...

But at least have that out of your system. What are the odds of that happening twice?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Here's a Hasselblad H4 for those who routinely drop their backs on the beach. Complete new sensors starts at $5 including built in memory, b&w sensors available (another $8,000 saved compared to that German M&M), unlimited long exposures etc.

H4X

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
This is painful to view. Hope all works out okay. I go hold my back now and give it a good talking too.

Nathan W. Lediard

Thanks... Got a loaner, the H4D-31 though, on it's way by overnight express... Will then get mine off for repair.... Looking forward to getting it back... Lesson learnt...

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I feel your pain, believe me! My IQ180 fell off my DF into a foot of water. I too feel the catch is not sufficient, it's too easily moved and I told Phase so. When they returned my dried-out re-calibrated back, they told me they had provided for it to make a much tighter fit to the DF.

And they did - it's actually quite an effort to remove the back now, which suits me fine!

I hope all works out well for you, Nathan.
Bill