The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Flare solutions for Tech Cameras

cly

Dan,

this is OT, just out of curiousity: why do you have a second tripod plate at the side of your Max? Is it to overcome the vertical movement limitations of the SK28 on the Max or why/when do you mount it sideways?

Chris

Last edited:

danlindberg

Cly,

Simple reason is that I then have a choice if I want to reposition the back itself OR turn the camera for a portrait format shot. It can be comforting in harsh conditions not to fiddle with the back.

I also have the possibility to go beyond the normal 18mm horizontal shift if I planned a 3 to 1 pano. With my SK 120 I can go 22mm left and right but then I need the camera on the side, actually, both sides (I have a third plate). With the sturdy Gitzo and rock solid Linhof head this is doable. I rarely do this since I am more of a 2 to 1 pano guy though. :)

So, main reason is one extra plate for easy turning format!

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
If you don't mind hanging it off the front element you can also use the LEE wide angle bellows too. That folds flat and is easy to carry in the bag. In all cases with bellows though I find that it gets more and more difficult to reach the shutter controls plus they tend to act as sails (and in my clumsy experience, very easy to bump between exposures).

cly

Im reading this and I just realized the Cambo lens hood which will fit any tech cam via hot shoe adapter
The problem with the Alpa Max is that with fall or rise the camera body moves in relation to the lens mount (or vice versa if you don't use the stitching adapter). If you attach something like the Cambo solution to a hot shoe on the Max you need a lot of vertical 'adjustability', much more, I suppose, than the Cambo hood can offer.

Chris

Last edited:

cly

Simple reason is that I then have a choice if I want to reposition the back itself OR turn the camera for a portrait format shot. It can be comforting in harsh conditions not to fiddle with the back.
Thanks, Dan - that's comforting indeed, I'll try that myself!

Chris