The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Flare solutions for Tech Cameras

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Nice find Graham! Another one to look at is the "Flare Buster" -- similar concept, but a smaller, lighter weight version that will fit in a side pocket of your bag!

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Yes I have the flare buster but nowhere to fix it alas on my Alpa. A longer version with a clamp would work though.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I have a Ebony hot shoe clip version that I use and I use my CC passport as the gobo. Its kind of cool but obviously I used a iPhone than I need something else.

GrahamWelland

So maybe we need a getdpi challenge! There must be someone with a creative solution for gobo/flare guard for a camera with no hot shoe or obvious other mount points - maybe a NASA Apollo XIII type of creative challenge.

In my case I do have a spare Arca plate on the camera (I have one on the bottom & one on the side for rise/shift orientation). A flare buster/clamp with Arca clamp would work.

The nasty clamp version does have other uses - snow shovel, pancake spatula, fly swat, etc etc :ROTFL: Small and compact unfortunately aren't it's strong features.

These are pretty neat! Keep a big twangy blowy thing clamped to the tripod rather being a sail on top of your camera!

For other uses it could assist in helping you bond more with your dog whilst indulging in photography, could double as pooper scooper and you'd not need to leave the area behind the camera, perhaps not even remove it from the tripod. :)

GrahamWelland

Catch the wind with this guy and it could pull down even my 5561SGT :D ok, not really but it stays exactly where you put it - no wimpy leaning over under the weight of a fly landing on the flare blocker.

tsjanik

Graham:

You really should contribute a shot to "Behind the Scenes" with this; it looks like the Mars Rover.:LOL:

Use a solar cell for the shade and you could charge the battery!

Tom

Shashin

Not being sarcastic, but can't you just block the light with your body or hand or hat, rather than using one of these? I am not sure what benefit this has?

GrahamWelland

Not being sarcastic, but can't you just block the light with your body or hand or hat, rather thaGn using one of these? I am not sure what benefit this has?
Answer: no. Well, it kind of depends on how many shots withs caps, fingers, and other odd body parts inadvertently end up entering into super wide shots. I want to set it and forget it and use my other two hands to operate the three hands worth of camera operations ...

Last edited:

danlindberg

Graham, brothers in thought? :D;)

I have realised the same solution only a few days ago....and the reason is exactly the same as yours - with the 28 I caught part of my hand shading the lens very often and that is irritating.

It took some time before I found the black shading sheet. It is a thin plastic sheet stiff enough to stay up, but flexible enough to bend if there were a gust of wind not risking the equipment.

It works splendid. :)

GrahamWelland

How is that mounted to the tripod? Looks about as svelte as mine :D

I make no apologies about being any good at keeping out of my shots!

Btw, that looks like a Manfrotto arm (that I actually have) - is that a special tripod mount?

Last edited:

danlindberg

It's anything but svelte :D:D:D

It is a heavyduty studioclamp and fastens around anything round, from thin to very thick legs or poles. I like to put mine around the centrecolumn.
In this snap I have put it around the leg so you can see it better...

This clamp takes a number of different accessories, I bought two flexarms, in the first image there is only one, but I can if needed extend it to twice that length.
My initial idea was to use an umbrella, but that didn't work out at all with wind catching it and just moving it about. This plastic sheet was perfect.

GrahamWelland

Graham:

You really should contribute a shot to "Behind the Scenes" with this; it looks like the Mars Rover.:LOL:

Use a solar cell for the shade and you could charge the battery!

Tom
As it happens .... That's why I shot it. Watch for an update! Including a shot that looks just like you mentioned - lunar rover pulling a 6000lb Land Rover :D

dick

Not being sarcastic, but can't you just block the light with your body or hand or hat, rather than using one of these? I am not sure what benefit this has?
Answer: no. Well, it kind of depends on how many shots withs caps, fingers, and other odd body parts inadvertently end up entering into super wide shots. I want to set it and forget it and use my other two hands to operate the three hands worth of camera operations ...

In the real world outside, this does not work, because the sun is always moving!

dick

The Sinar Hood Bellows Mask 2 (533.21.000) is a good solution, as it has 4 independently adjustable "roller- blind" screens... so, when you are shift-and-stiching, you can baffle for each shot... I am thinking that this will be very good for interior shots where there is not where to put the light except for in the (other half or) shot.

It is not very portable... the mount is Sinar P or P2 5 * 4 inch bellows/lensboard, so the best ¿only? way to mount it on a P3 is, I think, on a spare 54 standard on an extended monorail, using a 5 * 4 inch to 100mm conversion bellows as a lens hood... not very cost effective unless you have this kit lying around, or it you can pick it up for peanuts on eBay. (Somehow, over the years, I have accumulated 8 Sinar standards.)

I got the number off the box, and I cannot find it on the Sinar Website.

I have never used it, opened the box yesterday an it is still in the cellophane packaging, but one of the blinds will not move!

Last edited:

danlindberg

In the real world outside, this does not work, because the sun is always moving!
I have just added Warks, UK, to my visitinglist. I have never experienced the sun to move THAT quickly anywhere in the world before :shocked: